D&D 5E Girls, Guts and Glory. A new snack sized D&D web series.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Looks like it's based on 5e, though. It does say that they're only sort of following the rules.

I have to add that I am disappointed about the coarse language. I was kind of hoping I could watch this with my oldest daughter, who is 11 and wants to play D&D, but the content is still a little too adult for her.

I'm not one to get too worked up about coarse language—but, yes, it would be nice if there was something of this quality that could be shared with kids.

Generally, my approach as a a parent regarding cussing is that "you can hear it, but don't say it", but the kinds of content that have a lot of cursing also involve topics I would like to avoid exposing my kids to for a few more years.

D&D live play, with great production values, short episodes, and lego-movie level humor that both kids and parents can enjoy on various levels would be awesome. There is definitely a niche there for those who can pull it off.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

Being from England, these British accents grate tremendously. Hope they chill out. Actors/actresses should get the accent at least near! It's kind of their job.

ATM it's too uncomfortable. Hope the North American audiences enjoy though. Every different stream adds something, I'm sure.

Blpht! It is fantasy "British."

Lot's of people were annoyed by Anna Prosser's terrible (but terribly funny) southern drawl for her paladin in Dice, Camera, Action, but I loved it.

Just folks having fun with silly accents.

MNblockhead

The first time I went to the US I was in my early '30s, and though I'm from Yorkshire my father advised me to 'talk posh', partly so I have a chance of being understood(!) but mainly because "they love it!".

They still thought I was Australian though.:hmm:

Yeah, from the American side, I can back up your father's advice. I've worked with a British forensic expert that is popular to use as an expert witness. Obviously he has the skills and experience to back it up, but it's been commented by many that his accent is an asset. Jurors eat it up. He just sounds smarter.

But I've run into other British accents when travelling and I had a hell of a time even understanding them and which left very different impressions—though I try to be conscious and work against these kinds of prejudices we often don't realize we have. The best I can compare it to is how some some accets (deep southern drawls, heavy "urban" black accents, Hawaiian pidgin, etc. can lead to poorer impressions from many mainstream groups.

MNblockhead

How in the world is this not more popular?

It will be. WoTC is going to give them exposure with the Sphere of Annihilation event and they'll be on the Dragon Talk pod cast.

This will get big. There there will be the inevitable nasty trolls, then flame wars over various pet issues... I hope that increases their exposure and viewership and that they stay above it all and continue to have fun.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I have to say the accents made it unwatchable for me. But that's pretty much the case with any actual play videos or podcasts and me - silly accents make me turn it off.

BoldItalic

First Post
Despite being English, I can tolerate the accents because they are foreigners and all foreigners are automatically absurd anyway :D *ducks head*

More seriously, what struck me most was that the DM was doing almost all of the talking and entirely dictating the narrative. It got a little better in the later episodes as the other players loosened up and their characters became more clearly defined, but the DM was still hogging the limelight with the players only being allowed occasional interjections. To me, that's not how it should be. But they were all obviously having fun, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Despite being English, I can tolerate the accents because they are foreigners and all foreigners are automatically absurd anyway :D *ducks head*

More seriously, what struck me most was that the DM was doing almost all of the talking and entirely dictating the narrative. It got a little better in the later episodes as the other players loosened up and their characters became more clearly defined, but the DM was still hogging the limelight with the players only being allowed occasional interjections. To me, that's not how it should be. But they were all obviously having fun, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

That sort of thing happens during scripted productions. It would be hard to pull off a coherent video of that length based totally on improv with any consistency.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
When you think about it, the DM does control 2/3 of the basic conversation of the game (steps 1 and 3), which is to say, the part where the players aren't just talking to each other. So it does make sense that the DM does the most talking when the players are actually doing things in the game world.

Imaro

Legend
I've enjoyed what I've seen so far... but I will say it feels, well... artificial in a way Critical Role and Force Grey: Giant Hunters don't to me. It's hard to put my finger on what it is exactly though... it just doesn't feel like a natural game of D&D when I watch it. That said it's been enjoyable enough so far and the woman playing the dwarf has been hilarious so far... so even though I don't think it feels anything like an authentic gaming session... I'll continue watching it for the entertainment value.

Remove ads