D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I guess I've never had a quote from someone I've blocked. If someone's blocked me then I'm not sure if they've gone into the app and quoted me/read my posts, that is something that seems a little weird, you can still see their posts you just need to expand them.

Also, is the bolded sentence incomplete?

It's not a quote from someone who blocked you or was blocked by your. Once someone who has blocked you posts in a thread, it screws up the links when ANYONE quotes you or gives exp. It's really, really borked and annoying, and for no real gain.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, if your quoted by someone who hasn't blocked you in a thread where someones who have blocked you are active, the link function becomes broken due to the "skipped" posts. In a long thread with msny replies, a quote notification link can land you pages away from the quoted post.

Yeah. I think the only time the links still work is when the blocked person's post is still on the same page as the person quoting you.

Satyrn

First Post
I don't think people should post in threads started by someone that has blocked them.

Your wish has already been granted. I can't see the threads started by those who've blocked me.

Edit: but you knew that. I, uh, mentally block some posters so I didn't realize you had quoted someone who said exactly that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hey now! I love me a magic shop thread! ;)

Anyway, [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] I think a lot of the debate over the block/ignore function tends to be one of those, "Sure, it is great in practice, but how does it work in theory," type of issues. The enworld community, in contrast to an unfortunately large part of the internet, is still a large, diverse, and active community of people engage in regular conversations without it going off the rails.

The opposite really. It's a, "Sure it's great in theory, but how does it work in practice." issue.

It's a great feature for several reasons. First, in use, it keeps people from further attacking each other. It's the ultimate in de-escalation. But, and this is an important point, it's also a calming/moderating influence on all posts, IMO. Because I don't know about you- but I don't want to get blocked. I like talking to people! So any time I think maybe I just need to ratchet it up a little .... I don't. I stop. I remember that there is someone on the other side, and try to treat this like a dinner party with friends instead of some wild and woolly version of INTERNET- THE VERBAL GLADIATOR GAME! And I think that it might have that salutary effect on others.

There are very, very few people here who would just start abusing people who blocked them. Most might respond a bit here and there, but it wouldn't be attacks like people are fearing.

So that's one area in which I disagree with CapnZapp- I don't think people should post in threads started by someone that has blocked them. It's not a question of "ownership" of threads- but it would cause the thread to break for someone who started it, which wouldn't be right.

This is just flat out wrong. What you are saying with that statement is that every time a side conversation starts between people that are not the OP of the thread, it breaks the thread. It doesn't. There's nothing wrong with posting in a thread started by someone who blocked you.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Honestly, if someone has said something that I would find so revolting as to personally block them, chances are they've pissed off the moderators enough to ban them and erase their posts, by that point. :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
#1. Any person can read any post or thread they want to by simply logging off and refreshing the page.

The issues are:
A: you can’t comment to posters that haven’t blocked you in such a case
B: alternatively if you do respond to them and they quote you the. The person that blocked you is seeing what you are saying.

I think best solution would be To change block to ignore and make it also ignore posts that quote the ignored poster. Mods block/ban users from threads for breaking the rules and users ignore other users that they can’t stand dealing with. Users shouldn’t have the right to punish other users and take away their prevleges to read other users comments just because they started a thread.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Users shouldn’t have the right to punish other users and take away their prevleges to read other users comments just because they started a thread.

I thought that way when I first encountered the system, and suddenly couldn't see a bunch of posts on a thread I had started, but then I realized that if someone is unpleasant/insecure/foolish enough to block me, I don't gain anything by talking to them or threads they started. If I'm interested in the topic, I can just start my own thread without 'that idiot' even being able to get onto it, and don't have to feel any obligation to reply to a word they say. If I really want to see what they've written the logout button is easy to use, and when I've tried that I've seen that, nope, I really don't miss their posts.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No, if your quoted by someone who hasn't blocked you in a thread where someones who have blocked you are active, the link function becomes broken due to the "skipped" posts. In a long thread with msny replies, a quote notification link can land you pages away from the quoted post.
Oh right. Got it now. It must not happen in reverse with people you've blocked because I've never had that happen to me. I might be causing it to happen to a few others though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases