D&D 5E Primeval Thule 5e

S'mon

Legend
Another great resource I use in my Primeval Thule campaigns is the World of Xoth stuff by Morten Braten. It's all written for Pathfinder so it's pretty easy to convert. The website has a couple of freebies but the main PDFs are really reasonably priced.

http://xoth.net/publishing/

When I was looking for Thule suitable third party resources I looked hard at using The Spider God's Bride adventures, but ultimately rejected the idea. Reasons:

1. They are very much written with a 'Conan in Zamora/Shem/Zamboula' type feel, which is surprisingly distant from Thule's tone. They're very Orientalist, versus Thule's more of a Lost World feel.
2. They are mostly set in deserts and dry plains, non-Thulean terrain.
3. They are rather over-written (rather like Paizo stuff) in the interest of creating a baroque mood, and I was finding them hard to decipher given they would need extensive conversion for play.

Not a bad product if you are running a specifically Conan game set in his typical adventuring locales, but for me they didn't work. Instead further digging brought up The Midlands book I mentioned, which also has tons of swords & sorcery themed adventures, but the writing is much less baroque and use at table seems far easier.

S'mon

Legend
Just a question to start off and more for confirmation, with the narratives and when they refer to rests, do they just mean you regain the use of the narrative benefit after both a short rest or a long rest?
I think I'll use narratives in addition to backgrounds, because only the skill benefits seem to overlap and both give out cool features with the added benefit of personalising the PCs further. I'll just have the PCs either take skills from either their background or from their narrative.

Rest = Short or Long rest, yup. They wanted to avoid non-OGL terminology as Thule came out prior to the 5e SRD.

My original Thule GM in early-mid 2016 used both Narratives & Backgrounds, it worked fine but does increase the initial load when making PCs. I went Narratives-only but have PCs rolled up on best 3 of 5d6 in order then replace any one stat with a 15. This plus racial mods tends to create PCs with mostly +2 and +3 attributes, which is much like giving regular level 1-4 PCs a universal Proficiency bonus. Alongside giving full CON score + max hd as starting hp it creates pretty kickass level 1 PCs - without too much magic - suitable for swords & sorcery adventure! :D

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
3. They are rather over-written (rather like Paizo stuff) in the interest of creating a baroque mood, and I was finding them hard to decipher given they would need extensive conversion for play.

Not a bad product if you are running a specifically Conan game set in his typical adventuring locales, but for me they didn't work. Instead further digging brought up The Midlands book I mentioned, which also has tons of swords & sorcery themed adventures, but the writing is much less baroque and use at table seems far easier.

The Midlands book looks awesome; I snagged it as part of the Low Fantasy Gaming Deluxe Kickstarter. No two ways about it.

I found the Xoth stuff to be useful for my game. Some of it I ported to Quodeth, though I established Xoth itself as a separate continent east of Thule.

Maybe I like overwritten. I can say that I found the Xoth supplement Land of the Silver Lotus very difficult to use largely because it lacks the level of description and detail I like to have. I never used the Spider God's Bride itself, largely because it has a plot development almost identical to one of the Thule adventures, but one of the other modules in the book fit into my campaign (which was largely set in Quodeth itself and running with the city's very Lankhmar roots) perfectly.

S'mon

Legend
I never used the Spider God's Bride itself, largely because it has a plot development almost identical to one of the Thule adventures, but one of the other modules in the book fit into my campaign (which was largely set in Quodeth itself and running with the city's very Lankhmar roots) perfectly.

I may well give it another look later - I wanted some nice easy-to-port stuff to get my Tuesday night game off the ground, so the Midlands short adventures looked best.

S'mon

Legend
Had a player post a nice account of yesterday's session:

https://simonsprimevalthule.blogspot.com/2019/02/sunday-session-3-m7-dumet-2213-ar.html

Cavern%2Bof%2BGolden%2BTears.jpg

Remove ads