Just Finished LMoP--What Next?

I just did this with the game I'm running for my nieces and nephews, having them captured by the drow at the end of LMoP and needing to escape. Being higher level when captured made the escape and retrieval of their gear much easier, but now that they are escaping through he under dark the challenge has caught back up to their level (I milestone so it will be a while before they hit 5th).

Out of the Abyss also has the sudden appearance of the demogorgon, which is a cool nod for anyone who has seen Stranger Things.

Motorskills

Explorer
Linking to SKT works really well. It basically starts at 5th level, and there is an easy hook to the shenanigans at nearby Triboar. I upped the ante a while later by having Fire Giants steal the Forge (owned partly by the PCs).

I also linked the Black Spider to the Drow special forces crew that raid Gauntylgrym.

Gilladian

Adventurer
If you dont want a mega-adventure, you might try Frog Gods Quests of Doom books. They’re available in Pdf or print. They have a bunch of shorter, ready-to-drop-in adventures at various levels. And are generally well-written. They are what I used when my LMoP campaign ended.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Some of the early chapters of Princes of the Apocalypse could be "moved over" from Red Larch to Phandelver. For instance, the "Please run my Inn while I take a vacation" segment can be placed anywhere you want. The other 'events around town' can also be moved to anywhere without losing flavor.

MechaPilot

Explorer
We just finished the Lost Mine of Phandelver last weekend. The party of intrepid characters were victorious against the Big Bad, and they even slayed the Thing at The Place (sorry, I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoiling it for anyone who might still be playing it.)

So our next game is in about a month...what should we do next? I'm looking for a pre-published 5E adventure that you have read (or better yet, one that you've actually played) and would recommend. I would like to play it more or less as written, but I don't mind having to change a few things here and there to tailor it to our particular style.

I took my players directly from LMoP into Princes of the Apocalypse (PoTA). It's a good adventure, though it has a less social and exploration encounters and more combat encounters than I prefer. Of course, that's also partly due to the playstyle of my players, who tend to be kill-first, talk only if it looks like they can get something valuable from it.

If I'd had it at the time, I probably would've transitioned from LMoP to the shorter adventures in Tales from the Yawning Portal (TftYP). That said, those adventures are kind of spread out, and you're going to have to work a bit to get them to the respective adventure locations. That's definitely a weakness of TftYP compared to the other, larger adventures.

Kegsen

First Post
Finished the main quest last night, with some slight tweakage so the meta-gaming from one of the players wouldn`t be too bad. She still went "oooh, that`s a so and so, so it`s probably immune to such and such..." a bit, but had a talk with her post game to voice my opinions on her uncharacteristic knowledge of the monsters and boogie-boos of the great outdoors.

Once the loot was distributed, and since the groups consists of grown people with children, jobs etc. and we played on a weekday and wasn`t done until 11. pm, my suggestion was to have a "Session X" the coming weekend. Here we`ll bring beer and/or other beverages of choice, talk about the adventure - what was good/bad about it, but at the same time have the players describe their time in Phandalin post BBG-pwnage.
Those who are thinking about rolling a new char, will have the option to do so, and I`ll bring a brief teaser of Princes of the Apocalypse, Tales from the yawning portal and Tomb of Annihilation so they can have a say in where to go next.
Since we`re all pretty new at this (Lmop was our first foray into D&D) the feedback across the table will be pretty valuable both for me as a DM, and hopefully for them as players too.

akr71

Hero
There have been lots of great ideas already posted - I like [MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION] suggestion of a short adventure to get the party to 5th level, whether its of your own design (the found treasure map in Wave Echo Cave perhaps) or a pre-made adventure.

Storm Kings Thunder starts nearby in Triboar. Princes of the Apocalypse starts not that far away too.

For my LMoP campaign, Glasstaff and the Black Spider escaped and I have been using them as reoccurring villains - which the players love! They also tried to bargain with the green dragon into leaving Thundertree and lair in the ruined castle. They moved its treasure for the dragon, but then it tried to double cross them. They were prepared and had hired crossbow wielding mercenaries to offer support. Enough of them hit in the first couple rounds to make the dragon think twice and it flew off. So they'll have to deal with it at some point too.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
SKT is actually probably the "easiest" to tie into because it begins right next door and has ways to connect to several of the adventures, it doesn't have the hardest of hooks though like CoS etc that can suck players up from anywhere.
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I saw "Storm King's Thunder" at my FLGS last weekend and thumbed through it...liked what I saw... and bought it. We kick it off on 5/4/17...May the Fourth be with them. :)

Motorskills

Explorer
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I saw "Storm King's Thunder" at my FLGS last weekend and thumbed through it...liked what I saw... and bought it. We kick it off on 5/4/17...May the Fourth be with them. :)

Read the Enhancing SKT thread, and get on the SKT DM's Facebook page, huge amount of help available there.

Remove ads