D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Anyone wanna share a bit (or...um...everything) about our good friend gelatinous cube?

In my conversion of Ruins of Undermountain I'm running I unleashed one of these on the party. So good.

For me.

CR 2. Very low AC. DC 15 to spot one that hasn't moved. Good amount of hitpoints. If you walk into one without seeing it (/cackle) your save to avoid being eaten is at disadvantage. Take (average) 10 damage when you are swallowed by one. Take (average) 21 acid damage every cube's turn thereafter. Swallowed characters have total cover (in other words, you can't cure them). Strength check DC 12 to escape.

Man. So much fun. Based on the amount of cussing I heard, my players probably disagree. But they're jerks. They always kill my stuff.

Thaumaturge.

Tazawa

Adventurer
I have a few questions about orogs and orgrillons.

Are orogs just tougher orcs or are they the result of a male orc breeding with a female ogre?

Are ogrillons simply orc-ogre cross-breeds or are they specifically the results of a female orc and male ogre breeding?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Actually, I am now told there is some mention of Orgrillons under the Ogre entry.

(Which I admit is not where I would have looked, either).

Huh. Yeah, I looked in the index. The problem is I looked for ogrillon, but they're under "Half-Ogre". And I didn't think to look there.

Are ogrillons simply orc-ogre cross-breeds or are they specifically the results of a female orc and male ogre breeding?

Ogres mate with: humans, hobgoblins, bugbears, or orcs to produce half-ogres. (They eat: dwarves, halflings, or elves). Human mothers usually die during childbirth. Orgillon is, as far as I can tell, the name given to half-ogres who are also half-orcs. There is nothing to differentiate them mechanically from other half-ogres.

There is no indication that only male ogres crossbreed.

Thaumaturge.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'm actually really curious about orcs in 5e.

What color are they? They did some minis a while ago, and they were blueish-gray. Magic: The Gathering is reintroducing orcs, and they're blueish-gray there too. The half-orc in the PHB is purple.

Also, what's the deal with the various orc hybrids? According to the PHB, half-orcs are the result of a "marriage" between an orc and a human. I wonder if the, uh, other way results in a normal orc?

Last edited:

Fion

Explorer
I find the PHB's half-orc origin a little too PC. Pillage and rape are mixed up into conquest for both races. I always saw Orcs & Humans as evolutionary offshoots, like Neanderthal & Homo-Sapiens in the real world. Same with Elves. Why then aren't there any half-elven-orcs? Well I like to think that it's Tolkien's mythology.. that orcs were once elves and thus any time they intermingle it just produces an orc or an elf. Or perhaps it's something a little more sinister, that the hatred between the races is such that on the extremely rare chance they intermingle, any half-offspring are left to die. Perhaps the elves leave them in intricately woven baskets near the lairs of giant spiders (a painless death), while savage orc tribes have a ritualistic event that ends in the horrid babe is sacrificed to Gruumsh.
As to color, I've always been fond of pale rustic greens & browns more so than blue with that telltale red snout. But I would most certainly leave such things to my players to decide. :)

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Why then aren't there any half-elven-orcs?

Here's the answer from 1e- apparently it's biological:

1e Monster Manual said:
Half-Orcs: As orcs will breed with anything, there are any number of unsavory mongrels with orcish blood, particularly orc-goblins, orc-hobgoblins, and orc-humans. Orcs cannot cross-breed with elves.

Of course, add to that list orc-ogres (ogrillions, IIRC? Or orogs? Or both?).

Remove ads