D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

guachi

Hero
The ability to share one book among 12 is nice. But what cost is it for the other 11? Will they need the free, $3, or $6 tier?

If it's the free tier it's a great deal and I'd jump at the chance. $3 tier and it's ok (but I'd likely pass). $6 tier and it's a definite no.

I'll add that $20 for the PDF on sale is reasonable price and what the item should cost at regular price. It'd be great if you could get a discount if you own a paper copy or future printings gave you a discount code.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercule

Adventurer
It's a flat cost for the books/compendium. The subscription is for the interactive features -- basically, just sharing your content with your players, right now, but will grow to include a proper campaign manager and an initiative tracker.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Have they improved the interface yet? Buying and equipping items for example is easier with pen and paper based on my last experience with the beta (couple of weeks ago). I found myself missing the old 4e character builder.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Yeah it's lower than I expected honestly. I'm sure we'll still have the typical D&D whiners but I think it's a good deal.

There are already responses in the announcement thread asking for discounts if they have the physical books :erm:

I'm not paying a monthly subscription, one time cost is what I'm waiting for.

It is a flat cost for the books. It's only a subscription if you want the extra features like managing a campaign or unlimited character slots and no ads.

It is a flat cost for the books. It's only a subscription if you want the extra features like managing a campaign or unlimited character slots and no ads.

My bad...

I want a one time fee to manage my campaign and to have the books I need. I could care less about no ads, 4 character slots is all that I would need.

Last edited by a moderator:

CubeB

Explorer
I may use this to buy digital copies of books, but I do have concerns...

First, I worry this will have the HeroLab Problem; where eventually, you need to spend several hundred dollars to get the program up to date in terms of rule packs. Not to mention the fact that you need to pay monthly on top of that.

The ability to buy and share D&D books is fantastic, and the monthly cost isn't too much if split across a whole group, but I also worry what would happen if I lose access to the program. With a PDF or a hardcopy of a book, I just... have it. Theoretically forever. With D&D Beyond, if I want that same level of security, I need to buy the book twice.

guachi

Hero
Anything RPG related I buy in book form that has a related pdf gives me the pdf for free. Except this.

Every Blu-ray/UHD disc I currently buy gives me a portable digital file for free.

Every CD I buy I can legally and easily rip for portable use.

If "act like your competition" is whining, so be it. I play D&D for the tactile nature of the game. Yeah, I'd use digital tools if I were miles away from the other players but if I'm sitting with my fellow players I'll need more incentive than what they're giving me.

$29.99 (regular price) for a PHB or spend $0.78 more for an actual copy? I'd rather do the latter and have another copy on my bookshelf. If you charged me $10 for a pdf I couldn't share, I'd go for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads