D&D 5E Are You Excited about Tomb of Annihilation?

CydKnight

Explorer
I am more encouraged by what it's release, along with the consistency of other 5E published material releases, represents. That being 5E continues to be popular among table top gamers. This means to me that I will continue to find games in this system to play for the foreseeable future.

Once the product comes out and I am either playing it or DMing it, I am sure excitement for the individual will be there or I won't be doing either. My return to D&D is still new enough that I have plenty of previously published adventure material still to explore as well.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'm still confused at the link between resurrection magic and undead, honestly. Yes, both bring people back from the dead, but one uses radiant energy to restore someone to life, one uses negative energy, and undead lack the life force and soul of the original person by the very nature of being undead, ghosts aside. I don't quite see the link.

I might take some interest in this, assuming that we have newer looks at traps and poisons. Always fond of those, but if not? Meh.

I think it's more a case of Acererak somehow stealing the souls of heroes, and the means by which he does that. His manipulation of such things seems to have had a horrible side-effect.

That's my guess based on what we know of past products and the tidbits we've heard about this one.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I'm excited. Main reason is that it's in a jungle!

I like unusual environments in D&D. Not everything has to be in dungeons or Northern Europe inspired frozen lands.

But also: PENDLETON WARD! :D

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
I plan to buy it as a resource for jungles generally and the Isle of Dread (Savage Tide) specifically for an upcoming campaign. It sounds like the monsters and NPCs will pretty great. What I won't do is run it as-is, since the chances of me running a campaign in the FR approach zero.

With regard to the "no one will buy an 11-20 product" claim, I say that's a load of manure. If an adventure were to release with a chapter on creating level 11 PCs, with a few modest magic items and fairly robust rules for starting at mid-level (and a roster of pre-generated level 11 PCs) then players would be clamoring to get at it, eager to sample epic adventure. I suspect that a high-level season of Adventurer's League stuff would also be popular. If you're going to have a 10 level range, make it the top 10 for once. If, as some have claimed, the 5e game doesn't gracefully support high-level play, then that's something that bloody well needs fixing.

Luz

Explorer
I've always been a fan of the original ToH and Acererak, so I'm interested to see what spin WotC has put on it. Greyhawk is my campaign world of choice so I will be relocating it from the Realms, but the jungle location has my curiosity piqued. In GH canon, Acererak (while still a lich) once ruled a region around the Tilva Strait, which is very close to the jungles of Hepmonaland. It could be fun to place ToA in this area as Acererak's abode, maybe with a travel-back-in-time theme attached.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't know if I will be running it as an AP but it looks like there is a lot that I could repurpose for my current campaign.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I'm even more excited after listening to Chris Perkins talking about Tomb of Annihilation here on youtube

I love that they took a similar approach to Curse of Strahd, which is the best adventure I've ever ran. (mind you, I'm still kinda new to published campaigns/adventures)

CapnZapp

Legend
Acererak is already CR 21 (CR 23 in his lair). Check your Monster Manual, page 49.

• Princes of the Apocalypse was for levels 1-15 and the Princes of Elemental Evil ranged from CR 18-20.
  • Out of the Abyss was for levels 1-15 and the demon lords ranged from CR 23-26.
  • Storm King's Thunder was for levels 1-10 and featured at least two CR 23 creatures.
It's very unlikely that Acererak is being watered down to make him easily killable by level 11 characters.
Nonsense.

It's all but a given he will be.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

hawkeyefan

Legend
Nonsense.

It's all but a given he will be.

I don't know.....if you check out the link that [MENTION=56398]Wepwawet[/MENTION] posted above....from about 4:30 to 6:30 Perkins talks about Acererak, and he makes a point to say it's more about thwarting Acererak's plans than facing Acererak directly. I'm paraphrasing, but it's an interesting point he makes that leads me to believe that Acererak is not the BBEG as might be expected.

So I suppose it's possible, but I don't think anything is a given.

Remove ads