Chaotic Good Is The Most Popular Alignment!

D&D Beyond has provided yet another of it's data dumps of 12 million characters -- this time telling us character alignments are most popular in D&D. Chaotic Good wins, followed by my least favourite as a DM, Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic Evil is the least popular.

Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 23.14.00.png

The developer does say that this does not count the percentage of characters with no alignment selected. You can see the original video here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I disagree. Let's take a scenario where there is an evil dictator in charge of a country that a LG Paladin enters. In that country it's illegal to murder people. However, there is also a law that allows the dictator's personal guard to ignore that rule murder anyone they like. The Paladin is in the bar and the server accidentally spills an ale on one of the personal guard. In response the guard stands up and draws his sword to remove the head of the offender. The LG Paladin is going to step in and prevent the murder from happening, despite the law allowing it. He's not going to sit back and allow the murder to happen, then create signs and go with the rest of the party to protest outside the castle until the dictator reforms things.
I don’t know what part of what I said you think this disagrees with.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I know they gave us time to download/copy threads. I wonder if some people here(or elsewhere) took advantage of that, and if so, are they out there somewhere to find.

I think there was an archiving effort here, and possibly elsewhere? Don’t know how much it got.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t know what part of what I said you think this disagrees with.

This part...

The way I see it, Neutral good ignores unjust laws, Chaotic Good fights to disrupt unjust governments, and Lawful Good works to reform unjust governments.

You specifically call out the Paladin stepping in to prevent that murder(ignoring an unjust law) as NG, and then state that LG works to reform the governments.

Psyzhran2357

First Post
This part...

[/COLOR]

You specifically call out the Paladin stepping in to prevent that murder(ignoring an unjust law) as NG, and then state that LG works to reform the governments.

Not who you were talking to, but I assume in a heroic fantasy context, by the time the Paladin is in a place to even dream of enacting those reforms, there are a lot of heads rolling around on the ground, most of them belonging to the LE tyrants. I'd be surprised if the incumbent administration didn't have to be removed by force. So the Paladin is still gonna go smite some fools.

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], you do understand that sometimes misunderstandings happen, right? My scenario was that the slave could realistically be freed and the way your response was phrased it sounded like the LG PC would not free them. That the only way to free the slaves was to overthrow the government and change the law. That until the law was changed, slavery should go unopposed.

LG: Slavery is unjust and the tyrannical government enslaving the people should be overthrown. New just laws against slavery should be instated.

While overthrowing the government may or may not be the LG thing to do*, in many cases it won't be possible. Freeing the slaves was possible. Forums are not always a great place to discuss topics, but when I say "I have no idea what you're saying" that's an admission on my part that, well, I have no idea what you're saying. Perhaps you should clarify before you start accusing people of constructing a strawman.

*As much as my LG PC may hate the tyrannical government they may not have a better option. For that matter, overthrowing the government will often be impossible.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This part...

You’re assuming that these statements of what each alignment does are meant to imply that other alignments can’t do those things. This was not my intent.

5ekyu

Hero
Unless you are a paladin, but that's tied more to the oaths, rather than alignment. It's just the the oaths tend towards a specific alignment or few alignments, so it's kinda sorta an alignment penalty mechanic to violate the oath.
As you say, the paladin is now tied to oaths. Oaths are given a set of rather clear doctrine/tenet elements and the GM and players are encouraged required to work together on specifics for that character specifically.

That is a vast improvement over the more blind 9verall LG vs others alignment of olde and paladin impact.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not who you were talking to, but I assume in a heroic fantasy context, by the time the Paladin is in a place to even dream of enacting those reforms, there are a lot of heads rolling around on the ground, most of them belonging to the LE tyrants. I'd be surprised if the incumbent administration didn't have to be removed by force. So the Paladin is still gonna go smite some fools.

I agree.

Hussar

Legend
You are literally the only person imagining an argument involving someone that is “100% reliable”, etc.

If you went back to the example I brought up that started this all, it was from a player who WAS 100% reliable then claimed to be CN.

In all of this, you continue to miss the fact that no one arguing with you views chaotic/lawful as being a difference of reliability.

You seem to define CN as literally not a sane person. A person who cannot keep watch because they don’t really want to, even though not doing so could easily get them killed, isn’t sane. You aren’t describing a CN character, you’re describing a person with no agency over their own actions.

Are you kidding? Falling asleep on watch is not an uncommon thing. It doesn't make people insane. It makes them unreliable. My personal rest time is more important than your safety. Snore.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases