Warlock Patron: the Sisters (Witch)

G

Guest 6801328

What if, instead of re-rolling after each long rest, you re-rolled after using the ability?

That is pure genius.

The re-roll is the new value.

EDIT: Hmm. Upon further reflection, although that mechanic is cool, I wonder if the added bookkeeping is worth it just to avoid the very occasional crit near-immunity. I'm starting to think not. Too many arguments "you forgot to write down the new number" "no I didn't"...

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

Next question: is this too powerful for a 14th level capstone?

For one minute, the DC of saving throws versus your single-target spells is increased by 1, and any time a successful saving throw results in one of your spells having no effect, the spell slot is restored.

G

Guest 6801328

And another question for y'all, this time about fluff.

This subclass kind of breaks with tradition by describing a specific patron, instead of a general category. I.e., it's "The Great Old One" not "Cthuhlu." "The Archfey" not "Oberon".

To stick with tradition I could make this patron "The Crone", and then the overview could still describe three different examples, but leave it that the warlock is forming a pact with just one of them, or perhaps another of their own devising.

Thoughts?

Stalker0

Legend
And another question for y'all, this time about fluff.

This subclass kind of breaks with tradition by describing a specific patron, instead of a general category. I.e., it's "The Great Old One" not "Cthuhlu." "The Archfey" not "Oberon".

To stick with tradition I could make this patron "The Crone", and then the overview could still describe three different examples, but leave it that the warlock is forming a pact with just one of them, or perhaps another of their own devising.

Thoughts?

I think "The 3 sisters" is generic enough. They could be any sisters, just leave their specific descriptions nebulous.

Stalker0

Legend
Next question: is this too powerful for a 14th level capstone?

For one minute, the DC of saving throws versus your single-target spells is increased by 1, and any time a successful saving throw results in one of your spells having no effect, the spell slot is restored.

How often is this restore, per long rest?

I think its fine if that's the case, as at that level your much more focused on actions over resources. Probably the best use of it would be to blow through the legendary resistance of a monster. That is nice, but I don't consider it OP. Beyond that, if I get 3 spells back that means monsters passed 3 saving throws on my spells....that is not good at 14th level anyway.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
My recommendation would be to eliminate the bookkeeping entirely.

Twist Fate

When a creature within 30 feet of you makes an ability check, attack roll or saving throw you may use your reaction to attempt to manipulate that creature's destiny. You roll a d20 and if your roll matches the creature's roll then you may declare that the roll was either a success or a failure (your choice). Treat any success as if the creature rolled exactly what was necessary to achieve success. You must take a short or long rest before you use this ability again.

— • —

There is, of course, only a 5% chance of a match each time. What I'd do is make it fairly low level and then upgrade it (you're allowed to roll with advantage or disadvantage, your choice) so that it becomes more useful.

G

Guest 6801328

My recommendation would be to eliminate the bookkeeping entirely.

Twist Fate

When a creature within 30 feet of you makes an ability check, attack roll or saving throw you may use your reaction to attempt to manipulate that creature's destiny. You roll a d20 and if your roll matches the creature's roll then you may declare that the roll was either a success or a failure (your choice). Treat any success as if the creature rolled exactly what was necessary to achieve success. You must take a short or long rest before you use this ability again.

— • —

There is, of course, only a 5% chance of a match each time. What I'd do is make it fairly low level and then upgrade it (you're allowed to roll with advantage or disadvantage, your choice) so that it becomes more useful.

Interesting. I do like it thematically, although it does potentially result in a lot of rolling. The thing I like about the daily roll is that most of the table can ignore it while the Warlock keeps an eye out for the magic number. With the above version I worry about the constant "Wait...I need to roll Twist Fate!"

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Interesting. I do like it thematically, although it does potentially result in a lot of rolling. The thing I like about the daily roll is that most of the table can ignore it while the Warlock keeps an eye out for the magic number. With the above version I worry about the constant "Wait...I need to roll Twist Fate!"

Well, since it only works once per rest it's much more about the critical moment when the BBEG just rolled a 20 or the tank just failed their saving throw and then the table turns to the Witch and everyone wants her to Twist Fate then.

G

Guest 6801328

Well, since it only works once per rest it's much more about the critical moment when the BBEG just rolled a 20 or the tank just failed their saving throw and then the table turns to the Witch and everyone wants her to Twist Fate then.

Oh...derp: I missed the part about once per short rest. I think that makes it too underpowered. On average you'll play several sessions before it works once. Compare this to the Divination wizard's Portent dice (and from which I was borrowing the "roll a die and save the result" mechanic), which have a 100% success rate, twice per long rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Oh...derp: I missed the part about once per short rest. I think that makes it too underpowered. On average you'll play several sessions before it works once. Compare this to the Divination wizard's Portent dice (and from which I was borrowing the "roll a die and save the result" mechanic), which have a 100% success rate, twice per long rest.

Right. I was thinking that advantage/disadvantage might be enough to push it into useful territory, but hadn't done the math. You could do X times per rest, but then it gets fiddly again.

I don't know how Portent dice work (simply because I try hard not to know anything that isn't in the SRD or relevant for my current F2F game).

Remove ads