[D&D 3.5] Monkey's Mad Monster Mix-up! (OOC)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I was going to call this "Monster Mash" but somebody else grabbed that title. ;)

This is just a fun little experiment in monster slaying. The game is light on RP and heavy on combat. The basic premise is a party of four adventurers battling every monster in the Monster Manual in the monster's native terrain, in CR order, one at a time. Treasure is completely randomly determined based on each critter's treasure value in their entry (though the PCs may sell stuff they don't want and buy stuff they do).

Character Creation

32 point buy
Level 1
Player's Handbook only
Average starting gold for your class

I'm looking for...

1 "Tank" (Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, maybe Ranger or Monk)
1 "Blaster" (Wizard or Sorcerer, maybe Druid)
1 "Sneak" (Bard, Ranger or Rogue)
1 "Medic" (Cleric, maybe Druid or Bard)

We'll stop when we get bored with it, when we get a TPK, or after the party beats a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon, whichever comes first. :D

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
Count me in! This sounds fun (and it's in 3.5) :p I thought about holding a contest where one had to beat a monster or group of monsters with the lowest level party (or even single character) but this sounds even better! And by "Player's handbook only" do you mean no Prestige classes like Reaping Mauler for example?

Uhh.. Great Wyrm Gold Dragon. this thing? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#goldDragon Does that mean we will be making it to level 20? (if you have me in your game of course, i am somewhat new as was made apparent :))

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Why the heck not? ^_^

I'll put together a blaster or sneak.

Just for reference though, by average starting gold d'ya mean true average or half maximum? I.E. true average for a fighter is 210 GP, but half max is 180.

covaithe

Explorer
If only I weren't so overextended already... I'll be watching eagerly, but I think I lack the time to commit to this myself just now.

Myth and Legend

First Post
I will be making a tank. Since the game will be low on the RP i can safely take an otherwise boring meatshield with low mental skills without too much worry :lol: If we had more points to assign i'd make a monk but with 32 I'll be making a Fighter 4/ Barbarian x or if a Dwarven Defender (Dwarven Defender :: d20srd.org) counts as PH only i'd make a Fighter 7/DD 10/ something else. Let me know, my hands are itching to make the char :D

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Myth and Legend, welcome aboard. :D PHB only means the only book you can use to make or advance your character is the Player's Handbook. ;) If we actually make it into epic levels, we'll use the Epic rules in the DMG to advance beyond 20. So, no prestige classes.

Arkhandus, hooray! ;) Average means the averages listed in the beginning of the equipment chapter. :cool:

covaithe, let me know if you change your mind. :D

Arkhandus

First Post
Umm, I assume the 3.5 PH has that, but I use the SRD for 3.5 core. Couldja tell me the average it lists for one of the classes so I can at least extrapolate from there how they determined it? :heh:

I think I'll play the sneak. Half-orc or dwarf ranger, rogue, or ranger/rogue.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
PHB Average Starting Gold Values

Barbarian - 100 gp
Bard - 100 gp
Cleric - 125 gp
Druid - 50 gp
Fighter - 150 gp
Monk - 12 gp, 5 sp
Paladin - 150 gp
Ranger - 150 gp
Rogue - 125 gp