• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 15 Petty Reasons I Won't Buy 5e

JRRNeiklot

First Post
*Snip*

1. Well, guess what, 5e? You just got too much D&D in my D&D, and I won't have that! :D

1. Most of your criticisms (not all) I find as positives, yet I won't be buying 5E because I have my own list of deal breakers and they are not petty at all.

It got too little D&D in the D&D if you ask me.

My playstyle is practically the opposite of yours - going by your list - and somehow two completely different playstyles are turned off by 5E. That doesn't bode well for the game.

ThirdWizard

First Post
The trouble is, the DDI actually could erase itself. It's not unprecedented. :( That's the trouble with digital products, particularly sub-based ones which you don't actually download.

I find this really worrying, because I don't know that I could really run 4e without the DDI. Okay, okay, I could. But, it would be quite a bit more cumbersome. I seriously don't think it would be worth it...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My playstyle is practically the opposite of yours - going by your list - and somehow two completely different playstyles are turned off by 5E.

Playstyles are not sentient, and do not have feelings. *Players* who prefer particular styles can be turned on or off.

Having clarified that there are people involved, and remembering that people are complicated, a question comes to mind - is it actually the game and rules that turn people off, or are people having emotional reactions to other things, and then rationalizing that as being due to the rules?

I don't point any fingers at individuals here. But it is a well-known phenomenon, that humans will make their minds up about things without much reference to the facts, and then come up with thoughtful reasons for their position when asked. To say this doesn't happen at all among gamers would be to say that gamers somehow fail to act like real people when considering their passion/hobby. That I don't believe. We are people, so at least some of us are acting like people.

It would be interesting, for example, to see what the opinions of players who are *not* immersed in internet discussions of games feel about the matter. Having had no call or real opportunity to form an opinion ahead of time, having put no prior stake in the ground that they need to defend, having not made a pre-judgement they'd have to recant, would they be more open to experiencing the game in play and accepting it?

Yes, I'm suggesting that talking the thing to death for months ahead of time may lead to less-than-rational prejudice, both positive and negative.

Crothian

First Post
Bounded Accuracy: Even if I liked the idea of BA, I guarantee it'll become Unbounded Accuracy quick enough.

Serious question time: What is bounded accuracy and unbounded accuracy? This is the only one of the complaints I did not understand. I admit to being out of touch with the new edition.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Serious question time: What is bounded accuracy and unbounded accuracy? This is the only one of the complaints I did not understand. I admit to being out of touch with the new edition.

The basic idea of Bounded Accuracy is that tasks (opening a lock, hitting a warrior in full plate, etc) have a set, standard, constant difficulty. It doesn't go up depending on the level of the PCs. If the PCs encounter a fighter in full plate at 2nd level and a different fighter in full plate at 15th, they can expect the ACs of the two are very similar.

Edit: Check here for Rodney Thompson's, much more in depth, explanation.

Thaumaturge.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The basic idea of Bounded Accuracy is that tasks (opening a lock, hitting a warrior in full plate, etc) have a set, standard, constant difficulty. It doesn't go up depending on the level of the PCs. If the PCs encounter a fighter in full plate at 2nd level and a different fighter in full plate at 15th, they can expect the ACs of the two are very similar.

That's half of bounded accuracy - the other half is noting that you then don't need the character bonuses to climb to great heights as they go up in level.

ggroy

First Post
My main petty reason against buying 5E/Next, is largely to avoid jumping onto another splatbook "treadmill".

Most likely I'll wait another year or so, to see whether the splatbook treadmill is started up again. (Despite semi-official assertions to the contrary).

Remove ads