D&D 5E 16 More Details About Theros

The latest edition of WotC's online magazine contains some juicy tidbits about Mythic Odysseys of Theros!

The latest edition of WotC's online magazine contains some juicy tidbits about Mythic Odysseys of Theros!

theros2jpg.jpg

1. It features Volothamp Geddarm.
  2. It was headed up by James Wyatt, who used to work on D&D, and now works on Magic: The Gathering. He worked on the 3E Deities & Demigods.
  3. It's based on a novella, which Wyatt spent considerable time researching.
  4. He also read about the government of Athens, and the Greek calendar.
  5. Subclasses include the College of Eloquence bard ("the philosopher ideal'), the Oath of Heroism paladin, and the Forge and Grave cleric domains.
  6. The DMG piety system has been "blown up into a huge thing"... "That includes all sorts of rewards and restrictions for characters who choose to devote themselves to a god and track their piety.”
  7. New magic items of the gods - artifacts and weapons.
  8. “Everyone gets this extra leg up that is a gift of the gods, which is separate from the usual character background. It may be a magical thing about your nature, such as you have the mind of a sphinx and your thoughts can’t be read. Or you might be an oracle, which is an opportunity for your Dungeon Master to give you plenty of adventure hooks. It’s a straight power-up but not a huge power-up”
  9. A table of omens with 100 entries.
  10. Minotaurs, centaurs, merfolk (tritons from Volo), satyrs, leonine.
  11. “The leonin is a different, stronger cat person, not just a tabaxi!”
  12. "Satyrs are pretty much as you would expect. They’re party animals with good Dexterity and Charisma, they have a headbutt attack, they’re fast, they’re fey, they resist magic and they have musical instrument proficiency and persuasion."
  13. Different lore for D&D creatures to match the Greek setting.
  14. Mythic threats are boss fights. More than legendary. Aresta of the Endless Web is a spider. Has baby spiders which fight you.
  15. Dyson Logos did the maps.
  16. "There’s a temple of Athreos in two parts, split by the river that flows between the mortal world and the underworld."
theros1.jpg

DnD uses "bard" with the roots in the fili, skald, and jongleur. That was expressed in the original version.

DnD also specifically called out Orpheus as an inspiration and has stated in the pasts the class broadly encompasses other cultures even though the name came from specific cultures, and rhapsode was listed among other examples.

Right, you're talking about D&D in general. We have agreed that the "D&D English" term "Bard" encompasses not only the Irish/Welsh/Celtic bard archetype, but also the skald, jongleur, troubadour, rhapsode, and Orpheus, and potential every other musical hero in any mythological tradition (African, East Asian, Amerindian, etc) or in fantasy fiction.

We agree there. I was just making the point that instead of "universalizing" the Celtic term "bard", Gygax could've universalized one of those other terms as the class name: Troubadour, Skald, etc, instead of "Bard." And it would've made no difference.

So, when translating the a "universal / generic" term into the specifically Ancient Greek language and culture, one would go with the most "universal / generic" term for a "music-playing hero" in Ancient Greece (not Ancient Celtdom). The word "Bard" is of course going to remain the "D&D English" name for the class, even in the Theros setting.

But the Greek word vardos is basically a Modern Greek term for a Celtic "bard"; though it did exist in Late Ancient Greek, it likewise only referred to the Celtic barbarian musician-poets who lived north of the Greeks. But the world of Theros, as far as I know, doesn't have a Celtic barbarian analogue. All PCs are going to be "Greek" musician-heroes. So what would that word be in Ancient Greek? And what word is generic enough (but still native Greek, not a later borrowing) to encompass all of the 5E "bardic colleges" (and various instruments and modes of music/art) which are going to be coming into play as Bards in Theros?

Your Aiodos ("singer") is quite fitting. My suggestion of Mousikos ("musician") is also fitting. Aiodos was used in Homer. And Orpheus is referred to as a Mousikos. So they both are archetypally Greek terms for a music-playing hero. One would work just as well as the other. WotC would just need to pick one to serve as the iconic / generic Ancient Greek class name. Voila.

DnD isn't Celtic, Welsh, Scottish, Greek, or anything else. The names of the classes are attached to the Dnd settings as it's own basis.

Exactly. Like I said, D&D class names are "generic / iconic" terms which are no longer closely attached to their real-world source culture. We completely agree.

A person could run a home campaign and rename them based on the settings but a musician still wouldn't be a bard. At least not until the term musician was reestablished with additional connotations. In DnD terms, musician falls under the entertainer background instead of a class.

Here's where we run off the tracks. Because I never suggested that the D&D English name for the class be changed to "Musician." That would be silly and pointless. I simply suggested that Mousikos be considered as the Ancient Greek name for the Bard class, for use in the Theros setting (and other D&D Ancient Greek settings.)

And we agree that, of the 5E Backgrounds, the Entertainer most closely represents the ordinary musician.

In Theros (and other Hellenic Adventures):

Entertainer = Kallitéchnēs

The 10 Entertainer Routines:
actor = ithopoiós
dancer = choreutria
fire-eater = pyrophagos (among other names: fire-eater - translation - English-Greek Dictionary - Glosbe )
jester = gelotopoiós
juggler = tachydaktylourgós
instrumentalist = organopaíktēs
poet = poiētḗs
singer = tragoudistḗs
storyteller = aphēgētḗs
tumbler = gymnastḗs

Bardic traditions require special training beyond learning music. Bards study magic (among other things). Musicians entertain audiences.

Bards are historians, magicians, healers, advisors, teachers, and more. That's not what musicians do. Musicians do evoke an emotional response like bards do with music or poetry but musicians are not chronicling history or teaching through parable. The bard's purpose goes beyond entertaining.

Here are you offering that the English and Celtic term "bard" has more lofty and multi-disciplinary connotations than the word "musician." I agree. Musician is a generic word in English.

Yet in regard to Ancient Greek (the topic at hand), if we look back into the origins of the two suggestions: Aiodos and Mousikos both also have lofty and multi-disciplinary connotations. Aiodos was tied to poetry, music, battle, and sacred history. "Mousikos" is one who inspired by the Muses. And the nine Muses covered nine fields of sacred arts: Muses - Wikipedia

It doesn't get more lofty and multi-disciplinary than that. It's simply Ancient Greek loftiness, rather than Celtic or Modern English loftiness.

I'm pointing out musician does not equal bard.

Like I said, in the D&D Worlds, of course there are warriors who aren't Fighters, acolytes and priests who aren't Clerics, wise-folk who aren't Wizards, and musicians who aren't Bards.

Though in Celtic-inspired D&D lands, such as the Ffolk of the Moonshaes of FR, and the Kaels and Thratians of Mystara, there may even be 'bards' (i.e. non-magical 0-level poets and musicians) who aren't Bards.

And I never suggested "Musician" as better name for the Bard class in English. "Musician" is of course a bland, generic word in English. However, the names Troubadour and Minstrel would've served just as well as "Bard", if Gygax had happened to choose those. Minstrel is used as the word for "music-playing hero" in Tolkien, and a "Troubadour" was more than just a singer - they were representatives of the esoteric Cathar / Manichean spirituality of the South of France. Skald would've worked too, but that would've definitely given a Norse flavoring.

But I never suggested, in D&D English, that Musician should replace the name Bard.

It's like calling someone who goes hunting a police detective because they both shoot guns. ;)

Thanks for the winks buddy. :)
But naw, that's a mixed metaphor Hunter vs. Police Detective = Musician vs. Bard (???) and not so relevant.

I just like to make sure people understand the difference between a bard and a musician.

We agree that, in D&D English, the Bard is a class that encompasses potentially all musical-hero characters from all cultures.

A bard is it's own real-world thing like a priest or a warrior, and like both it benefits form folklore and myth in a fantasy game.

We are both relieved that I never suggested changing the D&D class name from Bard to Musician! Whew!

In Ancient Greek D&D, a Mousikos or Aiodos is its own real-world thing, that benefits from Ancient Greek folklore and myth in an Ancient Greek fantasy game.

I also don't want to derail the thread. It would be better to make a different thread or PM if you want to discuss it further.

Thanks for your suggested Aiodos class name, and responsive sharing. We agree on some things!

I still ask James Wyatt for an Appendix or Web Enhancement with official "D&D Ancient Greek" names for all the classes, races, and other key terms, for the World of Theros and other D&D Hellenic Adventures.

In fact, if WotC will give me a complimentary copy of the book, and list my name in the credits, I could be willing to write the "Hellenic Adventures" Appendix for them! :)

Last edited:

Here's a Fantasy Greek Alphabet or Therosian Alphabet or D&D Hellenic Alphabet, which I just invented. Similar to how Tolkien modified the ancient Anglo-Saxon furthark runes to make a simple Modern English alphabet for use in The Hobbit map, this is a modification of the Ancient Greek alphabet for use in writing Modern English. Unlike the real Greek alphabet, this Fantasy Greek Alphabet has a one-to-one correlation with the English alphabet. It's basically a simple 26-letter code for writing "Greek-looking" puzzles and such in D&D games. I hereby release it to the public domain, for WotC or anyone to use it. :)

AaΑ α (alpha)
BbΒ β (beta)
CcϠ ϡ (sampi)
DdΔ δ (delta)
EeΕ ε (epsilon)
FfΦ φ (phi)
GgΓ γ (gamma)
HhͰ ͱ (heta)
IiΙ ι (iota)
JjΪ ϊ (diakekomméni ióta; "dotted iota")
KkΚ κ (kappa)
LlΛ λ (lambda)
MmΜ μ (mu)
NnΝ ν (nu)
OoΟ ο (omikron)
PpΠ π (pi)
QqϘ ϙ (qoppa)
RrΡ ρ (rho)
SsΣ σ (sigma) Note: in the Fantasy Greek Alphabet, a word-ending -s is not written differently.
TtΤ τ (tau)
UuȢ ȣ (symplegma ou; "complex ou")
VvΫ ϋ (diakekomméni upsilon "dotted upsilon")
WwϜ ϝ (digamma)
XxΞ ξ (xi)
YyΥ υ (upsilon)
ZzΖ ζ (zeta)
Optional Letters
CH chΧ χ (chi)
EE eeΗ η (eta)
OO ooΩ ω (omega)
PS psΨ ψ (psi)
TH thΘ θ (theta)

Last edited:

slobster

Hero
I think an adventure path set in Theros which is just a bunch of islands that your party sails to on an extended ocean voyage to get somewhere would be great. Just The Odyssey as an adventure path, with each island being a really mini hexcrawl with some side quests and quality dungeon maps. Sprinkle liberally with mad enchantresses, pissy gods, and cool Greek monsters and I would totally buy the crap out of that campaign module.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Am I the only one who dislikes how they keep mixing small amounts of crunch with large amounts of lore for random campaign settings in these releases?

Remove ads

Remove ads