• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2005 January-April Wizards products

timerino

Explorer
Deathknell Booster Pack

MerricB said:
March:
* Sandstorm (D&D Accessory - 2nd in the Environment series after Frostburn, I guess) -- Bruce Cordell, Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes, JD Wiker
* Death Knell (D&D Miniatures set 6)
The miniature update is named "Deathknell Expansion Pack." It is also available for "undefined price" pre-order at Amazon.

timerino

Faraer

Explorer
I'm a lot more interested in Ancient Empires as it is than an Old Empires book, especially with Eric and George's involvement. Three non-Heartlands geographical sourcebooks in a row (five if you don't count Underdark as Heartlands) would have been too much -- it's the Dragonreach lands that are the heart of the Realms and the subject of most of Ed's unpublished lore.

Arnwyn

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Well, that is disappointing.
I agree. How unfortunate. (More) feats and PrC's based around "ancient empires" (?). Wheee!
Faraer said:
I'm a lot more interested in Ancient Empires as it is than an Old Empires book,
Not me. As an FR DM, I see little utility in this book compared to other FR books (especially FR geographical supplements).
especially with Eric and George's involvement.
Though I agree, they will make this book more palatable.
Three non-Heartlands geographical sourcebooks in a row (five if you don't count Underdark as Heartlands) would have been too much
I certainly disagree. The Heartlands have been done to death. I have no problem with Heartlands material, but I want to see entirely unpublished (or too-lightly published) areas taken care of first, before we go back to areas that have been overly-covered. (Though, other than PGtF, 2004 was a banner year with both SK and the upcoming SS being released.)
[/QUOTE]-- it's the Dragonreach lands that are the heart of the Realms and the subject of most of Ed's unpublished lore.[/QUOTE]
Too bad Ed's not writing it. Looks like we'll still be waiting for that "unpublished lore" (which will more likely than not stay that way). Though I do wonder what more possible info we could get on the Heartlands before it becomes redundant and DM-utility goes way down. Anything more really only looks worthy for web publishing (if Ed's recent material at WotC's site is any indication).

Ah well. One can't win 'em all.

Faraer

Explorer
The sourcebooks covering the large and diverse regions of Cormyr, the Dalelands, the Dragon Coast, the Moonsea North, Sembia, the Vast, and the Western Heartlands are three Volo's Guides, the two rather lacking FRS-series 64-page sourcebooks, and Cormanthyr. Not remotely done to death, and we've scarcely scratched the surface of the lore that already exists on the known and unknown settlements and ruins and natural places, their peoples great and small, their secular and religious customs, economic life, cultural traditions, governmental organization, the knotted and nestled intrigues and histories, local power groups... If this is redundant to you, I think you're missing out on the real depth and detail the Realms was designed with and which TSR ostensibly bought it for. I think the current "Realmslore" column is far more worthy of print-publishing than most of what Wizards is putting into print.

Arnwyn

First Post
Faraer said:
The sourcebooks covering the large and diverse regions of Cormyr, the Dalelands, the Dragon Coast, the Moonsea North, Sembia, the Vast, and the Western Heartlands are three Volo's Guides, the two rather lacking FRS-series 64-page sourcebooks, and Cormanthyr. Not remotely done to death,
FRA, the main focus of the Old Gray box, the main focus of the 2e box, City of Raven's Bluff, the Moonsea Accessory, the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box, at least 9 modules... Sounds like a whole lot to me. (I think those who play other campaign settings and have a look at that list will have their jaws dropping at any suggestion that the above can't be considered "done to death".)
and we've scarcely scratched the surface of the lore that already exists on the known and unknown settlements and ruins and natural places, their peoples great and small, their secular and religious customs, economic life, cultural traditions, governmental organization, the knotted and nestled intrigues and histories, local power groups...
Sounds like all the stuff in the aforementioned books (I know all about the power groups, governmental organizations, temples, imports & exports... because it's already been detailed. Are you sure you've read the books?)
I think the current "Realmslore" column is far more worthy of print-publishing than most of what Wizards is putting into print.
Compared to books like PGtF... I totally agree with you. Compared to UE, SK, or SS? Nope.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Faraer said:
Three non-Heartlands geographical sourcebooks in a row would have been too much -- it's the Dragonreach lands that are the heart of the Realms and the subject of most of Ed's unpublished lore.

Technically, it does not appear that Ancient Empires will be about the Heartlands. It will be about the rise and fall of ancient empires, such as Mulhorand, Unther, Calimshan, Cormanthur and so forth. It does not appear to be about modern Cormyr, the Dalelands or what-have you.

Nor does it appear like to explore the Dragon Reach, beyond how that region may have been under some ones imperial rule.

So if you are waiting for an expanded book on the Heartlands, it looks like you are going to have to keep waiting.

It is worth noting that the Heartlands have traditionally received more cumulative coverage than any other section of Faerun.

I simply hope that modern Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta get some treatment in Ancient Empires amid discussion of living monster and dead deities and lost nations.

edbonny

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
Technically, it does not appear that Ancient Empires will be about the Heartlands. It will be about the rise and fall of ancient empires, such as Mulhorand, Unther, Calimshan, Cormanthur and so forth.

I would not be so hasty as to buy into that assumption - and for good reason. :) As one half of the team who wrote Ancient Empires, I know that many lost realms and forgotten kingdoms throughout Faerun are covered - including those that once occupied the lands in and around the Heartlands. ;)

Ed Bonny

Last edited:

Kesh

First Post
Looking forward to Races of Eberron, actually. We'll probably get some brief updates on the standard races, and some good stuff on the new Eberron races. I'd expect a good section on goblinoids and giants as well, given their history in Eberron. And, hopefully, a brief section on the other psionic races from the XPH.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads