D&D (2024) 2024 needs to end 2014's passive aggressive efforts to remove magic items & other elements from d&d

Yaarel

He Mage
Items you find have never been the problem.

The problem is when you want to avoid the players feeling like items drop from a conveyor belt.

Being able to offer the players gold and then a magic item shoppe where they actually get a say in which items their characters equip is fun and interesting. And it puts back the desirability into gold, for all play styles.

But for this to work someone needs to do the hard work of putting price tags on items. That someone should absolutely be the game's publisher.
In my campaigns, there are no magic shops, except for Common items, such as Healing Potions or magical utilities, such as light.

It is pointless to buy and sell more powerful items, because each reflects the intention of its creator. Thus it is impossible to attune any magic item unless the item itself is "willing" to cooperate.

Even items that lack sentience, per se, dont resonate during attunement.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Magic items should not be standardized part of level advancement, that's not what people like me are arguing.

If you by orthogonal, campaign-dependent axis of progression mean "sane magic item prices to make for a balanced gold outlet" then yes, that is what people like me are arguing.

If gold is expected to be accumulated at rate corresponding to level progression and magic items are expected to be available at specific prices, then magic items are a de facto part of level advancement (with a couple of intermediate steps that add unnecessary constraints to worldbuilding).

If gold accumulation is expected to vary across campaigns, then purchased items can act as an orthogonal axis of progression, but standardized prices aren't particularly meaningful. And one can make magic items an independent of axis of progression in plenty of ways that don't involve buying or selling them.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Personally, I want more magic items and magic items that have fixed price and preferred balanced one.

I do not want my fighter to have the same naughty word sword that you get from boot camp all the way to level 15
what if you've been able to reforge and enhance that boot camp sword with the powdered scales of a silver dragon and the diamond heart of a frost golem into the mighty 'Glacier's Edge' ;)

what i'm saying is we need rules for crafting mechanics/prices as much as we need prices for outright purchases

Yaarel

He Mage
what if you've been able to reforge and enhance that boot camp sword with the powdered scales of a silver dragon and the diamond heart of a frost golem into the mighty 'Glacier's Edge' ;)

what i'm saying is we need rules for crafting mechanics/prices as much as we need prices for outright purchases
I am sympathetic to player characters crafting their own magic items, including to upgrade an item. This personal touch − a mindful intention − helps maintain the flavor of a magical relationship with the item. The reparations and performance of the rituals for the item are a great hook for adventures, and the players are already immersively invested.

When things get bought-and-sold impersonally on an Amazon or EBay magic shoppe, the items feel mundane, namely a nonmagical technology.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It makes the world less magical when there's magic stuff placed on a high shelf where you can't touch it without permissions like your grandma's ceramic figurines.

Yaarel

He Mage
To be clear, a fully nonmagical high-tier Fighter can craft magic items. The soul is innately magical. A Fighter can literally "pour their soul" into the task of forging the weapon, imbuing it with mindful intention, personal power, and resonating attunement. Zen-like tropes work well for a Fighter doing this kind of thing. Norse-like magic works like this too.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I would rather have the magic items assigned accurately to each TIER: 0, 1−4, 5−8, 9−12, 13−16, 17−20, 21−24, 25−28
Small reminder.

There's been no indication that the designers are creating new tiers, which are clearly outlined in the books already.

Remove ads