• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 2024 official book release dates...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree with core rules and DNDbeyond being a big priority. But I think that will be separate thing from the SRD, which carries more complex legal questions.
Not particularly: with the 2014 rules being in CC, anybody can retrocloen the 2024 rules, ao they have no legal motivation to hold back the changes and every reason to encourage people to use the new rules moving forwards. I expect a Beyond update for dead certain, but the easiest way to do that is a new CC SRD.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Not particularly: with the 2014 rules being in CC, anybody can retrocloen the 2024 rules, ao they have no legal motivation to hold back the changes and every reason to encourage people to use the new rules moving forwards. I expect a Beyond update for dead certain, but the easiest way to do that is a new CC SRD.
Again, I hope you’re right.

But of course your post, like all posts anyone has ever made, leaves me skeptical.

Osgood

Hero
I doubt there will be any MM play testing; I’m pretty sure they sorted out what their plan were back when they put out Monsters of the Multiverse. I‘d bet that book is more than halfway done already.

As for the DMG, there's only so much of it that actually needs play testing to begin with—all the DMing advice and lists and tables are likely well underway. All the really need to test are things like Bastions, any updates to Downtime, Encounter Building, maybe some magic items, possibly a handful of rule options. They can easily work that into a few rounds of play tests and still have time for a 4th quarter release.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt there will be any MM play testing; I’m pretty sure they sorted out what their plan were back when they put out Monsters of the Multiverse. I‘d bet that book is more than halfway done already.

As for the DMG, there's only so much of it that actually needs play testing to begin with—all the DMing advice and lists and tables are likely well underway. All the really need to test are things like Bastions, any updates to Downtime, Encounter Building, maybe some magic items, possibly a handful of rule options. They can easily work that into a few rounds of play tests and still have time for a 4th quarter release.
I think we will see a little something for the MM, to test any formatting changes for instance. But...not much.

Based on their comments, it's seemed like the DMG and MM may be "feature comlete" for a while and just undergoing internal playteating and editing.

Osgood

Hero
I think we will see a little something for the MM, to test any formatting changes for instance. But...not much.
I‘d be surprised if you’re right, I doubt they’d want to make changes so soon after reprinting that many monsters. Still, if they are fiddling with the math in a substantial way, they could decide to just take the hit and do a re-revised monster book in a year or two with updated stat blocks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I‘d be surprised if you’re right, I doubt they’d want to make changes so soon after reprinting that many monsters. Still, if they are fiddling with the math in a substantial way, they could decide to just take the hit and do a re-revised monster book in a year or two with updated stat blocks.
Oh, I don't mean the math, I literally mean formatting. I'm not thinking anything big, but they might have an idea or two on how best to show info on the page they might want to temperature test. They don't really need to publicly test Monster math.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I doubt there will be any MM play testing
It would keep up a proud tradition of monsters being built with nothing resembling the rules they say to build them by.

And it'll make sure the books are out in time for the anniversary: 2025. Everyone knows 1974 was Year Zero.

We're announcing an end to anniversaries. The year 2024 will be evergreen following December 31, 2024.

Remove ads