D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

Fair enough.

A new Demigod. 3 Powerful versions.

The Bastion of Law Demigod

View attachment 131296

Stats
Race: Mark of Shadow Elf (+1 CHA +2 DEX)
Classes: Clockwork Sorcerer 20
Stats (Point Buy): 8 STR / 14 DEX / 12 CON / 10 INT / 14 WIS / 14 CHA
ASIs: Skill Expert (Stealth +1Wis), Resilient (+1 Wis), Telepathic (+1 CHA), +2 DEX, Metamagic Adept
Final Stats: 8 STR / 18 DEX / 12 CON / 10 INT / 16 WIS / 16 CHA
Metamagic: Quicken, Distant, Subtle Extended, Empower, Twin

Saving Throw: +7 CON, + 9 WIS + 9 CHA.

Trance of Order​

Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to align your consciousness to the endless calculations of Mechanus. As a bonus action, you can enter this state for 1 minute. For the duration, attack rolls against you can't benefit from advantage, and whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can treat a roll of 9 or lower on the d20 as a 10.

Once you use this bonus action, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.

He automatically wins every mental saving throw.

Stealth check: +10 Pass without trace+16 stealth check +1d4 (Mark of Shadow), With Advantage (Help action) and Magical Guidance for still more reliability.
With Trance of Order, It means 36~46+1d4 of Stealth check.
Simulacrum's Invisibility(Racials) for extra sweet effect

With subtle spell, It's the most powerful stealth casting of the entire game. When you cast a subtle spell, It doesn't reveal you.
Extended Seeming avoid detection.

With amazing stealth check. Subtle Skill Empowerment and Trance of Law, Telephatic feat. The Bastion of Law can manipulate any creature without reveal himself.

Final HP: 102+40 Tough feat +35 = 177 HP(Extended 8th Aid Spell ) +25 th Armor of Agathys +5d8 Bastion of Law. The Clockwork heal instantly 100 hp with his class feature.

Wished Contingency condition: If the enemy detect me. (Casts Greater Invisibility).

Spell Known:

Spells
1 - Armor of Agathys, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor
2 - Aid Spell, Pass without trace
3 - Counterspell, Dispel, non detection, Eruption Earth
4 - Dimention Door, Banishment, Polymorph
5 - Seeming Spell, Wall of Force, Skill Empowerment
6 - Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate, True Seeimg
7 - Etherealness, Reverse Gravity, Teleport, Plane Shift
8 - Demiplane
9 - Wish

Invisibility (Race)

Active spells: Twinned Simulacrum, Twinned Mind Blank, Extended Ethrealness (I'm invisible stalker), Subtle Pass without trace, extended aid, subtle armor of agathys.
I can't tell if you're intending this to be offense, defense or both. A lot of the stuff you're doing to build an advantage seems like it only works if you're picking a fight.

Pass without a trace lasts an hour (I know y could extend it) so keeping that up is gonna drain slots or SP a lot. Armor of Agathys, same but worse since you're upcasting it. Trance of order lasts a minute/LR or costs 5 SP.

Sure you can be really really stealthy...for a minute, or just plain old really stealthy..for an hour at a time til you burn out your slots. I just don't see how what tools you have to acquire a target.

If no one can find you, and you can't find them, maybe you don't lose. I just don't see how you win.

The build sounds legal, but with a very high maintenance cost.

1. He's always under twinned Mind Blank, so no 9th level slot.
2. Every 10 days, he must recast his Contingency, which require a Wish, so he loses Mind Blank every 10 days for a day.
3. He's resting within his Demiplane daily, so he can be undetectable during that prep time for spells that last for a long time), so he must always reserve his 8th level spell slot for that use at the end of the day.
4. He needs to exit his Demiplane after rest, but the door closed 7 hours ago, so he needs to Planeshift back to the Prime (7th level spell slot) which doesn't allow for a precise location to get back, unless you follow with Teleport to the last place you were (and you took a pebble from there to guide the Teleport Spell to perfect accuracy) (another 7th level spell slot). BUT...
5. He is Ethereal for 16h a day, which is cool (and probably his main defense), but it needs the 7th level spell slot as well... So no Teleport, so he's getting back semi-randomly from the place he wants do be each morning...

So the sorcerer has no real mean of interacting with the world as he's Ethereal all the time except for one round a day, when he casts Demiplane and crosses the door to enter it as his move action. He has also poor control on where he is each day, only in the general vicinity of the places he wishes to be, which can be very close or quite far away, depending on GM's whim. And since it's forbidden to appeal to GM, we must assume a middle road of arriving neither at destination nor across a sea from his destination...

He has no usable 9th, 8th, 7th level spells slots.

He casts 8 extended Armor of Agathys a day (8 SP) so he needs to spend, 8 Pass without trace (8 SP and constant concentration) and 1 Extended Aid (upcast to 6th level for 25 HP) for 1 SP. That's 17 SP, but he needs also 8 1st-level and 2nd-level slots, of which he only has 4 and 3, which means resetting them with SP as well for 8 and 15 SP respectively. He's spending an ungodly 40 SP a day. That means he must spend all of his daily allotment, plus take 5 short rest a day, and it leaves him with 0 SP and the following usable spell slots:

1st level: 0
2nd level: 0
3rd level: 3
4th level: 3
5th level: 3
6th level: 1
7th level :0
8th level: 0
9th level: 0

OK, since he's staying all the time in the Ethereal and seeks to interact as little as possible with the world, he doesn't really NEED spell slots, but that put a serious difficulty on his world domination plans.

If the build is to become unkillable and unable to interact, there are several easier build... One could cast imprisonment on oneself and chose the Hedged Prison, or one could Wish to become the colour blue... But anyway, let's deal with him.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
ASIs: Skill Expert (Stealth +1Wis), Resilient (+1 Wis), Telepathic (+1 CHA), +2 DEX, Metamagic Adept

Final HP: 102+40 Tough feat +35 = 177 HP(Extended 8th Aid Spell ) +25 th Armor of Agathys +5d8 Bastion of Law. The Clockwork heal instantly 100 hp with his class feature.​

Where is the tough feat?

The build sounds legal, but with a very high maintenance cost.
I think there's still some mistakes here and there. Best way to have legal builds is to make them with a builder...

Alfred: "and this way, the NCEST (nameless, cowardly, elusive, shadowy target) will be located unerringly by the power of maths!"
Rufus: "or, more exactly, the power of two."
Alfred: "indeed. Am I not a master investigator?"
Rufus: "yes you are, so you could put this finding ability to good use and fetch me my food."
Alfred, sighing: "why didn't I take a dog?"
Rufus: "because a dog isn't smart as I am, and you are about to spend valuable time while there is an even easier way?"
Alfred: "O RLY?"
Rufus: "I AM NOT A LOLCAT" (proceeds to cast fireball)
Alfred, counterspelling: "OK, then tell me..."
Rufus: "Your error was to use a spellcasting glyph to trigger the alarm. Glyph of Warding also haves the provision that "If the spell summons Hostile creatures or creates harmful Objects or traps, they appear as close as possible to the intruder and Attack it."
Alfred: "I see where you're going. With, say, Summon Construct having a range of 90 feet, I inscribe a glyph triggered by "the person I am tasked to kill being present within 1 light-year on this plane of existence" and I just wait until he steps on the prime, which should be nearly immediate if he isn't totally paranoid or a planeswalker, and the spell will pop a Construct that will go to attack him. Of course the construct has no way of knowing where to go and will idle quizzically, but I can draw the line between the center of the glyph where the spell is cast from and the 90 feet distance towrd which the construct appeared... I have a decent bearing, then I teleport somewhere distant not along that line, proceed to do the exact same thing, so I can draw the lines on a map and get a rough identification of his location... Next, I'll be doing it closer to the X on the map, until the construct reaches him within an hour. It will probably take a few tries because well, the distance to measure the bearing are far too short, but I'll quicken my search!"
Rufus: "You're a bright one. You won the right to scratch my head."

[Of course, it will be foiled because NCEST has lost the ability to return to the prime material place in a controllable location, but at this time, neither Alfred nor Rufus could know that. Determining how much it will be foiled can only be explained by the OP, because we don't know if NCEST tries to get to a precise location or juste Planeshift randomly back to the Prime].

Last edited:

5 murder hobos looking at the crater that use to be the sorcerers Fortress:
Wizard snatches the notebook from the Barbarians hands and looks at it

Wizard: You idiot, you misplaced the decimal point, we needed 30 gallons, not 300!
Barbarian: Well, I never was very good with math.
Bard: I have to admit, you out did yourself this time.
Cleric: Too bad about the Paladin, where did you get the 300 gallons of Orc Whiskey anyway?
Rogue: I have a friend who imports it, hey you guys ready for a beer?

This is turning into a saga. I hope the OP won't give up on supporter demigod sorcerers too soon.

Edit: I just realized that only the NCEST was Etheral. So the Simulacrum and the DMM are both staying material. Not that it is of any help since the NCEST has absolutely no notoriety and can't be LINKED to an eventual Simulacrum or Eiliria's Simulacrum.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
I thought the main problem with the almost always ethereal sorcerer is food and water. Does he get someone to supply him? Does he go foraging? Either way, it implies some more time interacting with the real world, or using wish to cast create food and water every once in a while to avoid dying from dehydration and starvation.

Legend Lore

"Name or describe a person, place, or object. The spell brings to your mind a brief summary of the significant lore about the thing you named. The lore might consist of current tales, forgotten stories, or even secret lore that has never been widely known. If the thing you named isn't of legendary importance, you gain no information."

The only defense against being identified by Legend Lore is not being important enough to be identified by Legend Lore. I'd say either way is a loss for any level 20 character who wants to call himself a "demigod".

I'd rule that either being able to convince a DMM to agree to have someone make a convincing copy of her, loyal to an outsider, or sneaking into a Drow Noble House and deliver a touch spell to animate the Wished copy AND escaping, both of them, away unscathed is legendsworthy.

Hohige

Explorer
Where is the tough feat?

I think there's still some mistakes here and there. Best way to have legal builds is to make them with a builder...

Fair, Enough.
Fair enough.

A new Demigod. 3 Powerful versions.

The Bastion of Law Demigod

View attachment 131296

Stats
Race: Mark of Shadow Elf (+1 CHA +2 DEX)
Classes: Clockwork Sorcerer 20
Stats (Point Buy): 8 STR / 14 DEX / 12 CON / 10 INT / 14 WIS / 14 CHA

Trance of Order​

Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to align your consciousness to the endless calculations of Mechanus. As a bonus action, you can enter this state for 1 minute. For the duration, attack rolls against you can't benefit from advantage, and whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can treat a roll of 9 or lower on the d20 as a 10.

Once you use this bonus action, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.

He automatically wins every mental saving throw.

Stealth check: +10 Pass without trace+16 stealth check +1d4 (Mark of Shadow), With Advantage (Help action) and Magical Guidance for still more reliability.
With Trance of Order, It means 36~46+1d4 of Stealth check.
Simulacrum's Invisibility(Racials) for extra sweet effect

With subtle spell, It's the most powerful stealth casting of the entire game. When you cast a subtle spell, It doesn't reveal you.
Extended Seeming avoid detection.

With amazing stealth check. Subtle Skill Empowerment and Trance of Law, Telephatic feat. The Bastion of Law can manipulate any creature without reveal himself.

Final HP: 102+35 = 177 HP(Extended 7th Aid Spell ) +25 th Armor of Agathys +5d8 Bastion of Law. The Clockwork heal instantly 100 hp with his class feature.

Wished Contingency condition: If the enemy detect me. (Casts Greater Invisibility).

Spell Known:

Spells
1 - Armor of Agathys, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor
2 - Aid Spell, Pass Without Trace, See Invisibile
3 - Counterspell, Dispel, non detection,
4 - Dimention Door, Banishment, Polymorph, Greater Invisibility
5 - Seeming Spell, Wall of Force, Skill Empowerment, Synaptic Static, Greater Restoration
6 - Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate, True Seeimg, Mass Suggestion
7 - Etherealness, Plane Shift
8 -
9 - Wish

Invisibility (Race)

Active spells: Twinned Simulacrum, Twinned Mind Blank, Extended Ethrealness (I'm invisible stalker), Subtle Pass without trace, extended aid, subtle armor of agathys.

1610721513336.png

"Surprised?"

The Sorcerer level 20 regains 4 per short rest. It's 80 Sorcery Points that can be turned into Spells Slots. The Simulacrum can also do it. It's a lot of spells slots.

You roll stealth check once against creatures passive perception, He is hidden until revealed, if sucessful.

He can attack with or without simulacrum and can spend long periods fighting, since the non-detection spell keeps him hidden from divination magic.

Offensively, Subtle Dispel, Subtle Synatic Static, Subtle Mass Suggestion with (Telepathic synergy feat, It's insane), Subtle Earth Eruption, Subtle Wall of Force, Subtle Banishment and Sublte Polymorph.
It's nearly invincible.

Last edited:

Remove ads