D&D 5E 20th level Wizard vs the World

Hohige

Explorer
There's no risk to casting 8th level or lower spells with Wish, so unless your plans involve using 9th level spells (I know my idea uses a lot of True Polymorph spells, which the sorcerer doesn't get and can't safely cast with Wish), there's nothing stopping the sorcerer from doing the same thing- even if it'll take more time.
The sorcerer can control 12 creatures forever each day.
5 days = 60 creatures controled.
Acess to golem or outside isn't on Wizard's trick. It's all spellcasters with enough gold.

Manual of Golems​

Wondrous item, very rare

This tome contains information and incantations necessary to make a particular type of golem. The GM chooses the type or determines it randomly. To decipher and use the manual, you must be a Spellcaster with at least two 5th-level Spell Slots. A creature that can’t use a manual of golems and attempts to read it takes 6d6 psychic damage.

Hohige

Explorer
If you cast finger of death on a creature made from an object via True Polymorph, would you end up with an (potentially broken) object or a zombie permanently under your command?

If the latter, I'd start building my army the slow but safest way by converting objects into creatures (via True Polymorph), then zombies (via Finger of Death), then finally into whatever other CR 1/4 or lower creature I desire.

From there, it's a matter of training the permanently obedient whatevers (likely Apprentice Wizards, because they're already on the way) into wizards like me and then we can really get things rolling.

If the former, I'd either acquire people that no one would miss and then do the person->zombie->whatever chain or go the True Polymorph->kindness/manipulaton route.
Sorcerers can twin Finger of Death.

There's no risk to casting 8th level or lower spells with Wish, so unless your plans involve using 9th level spells (I know my idea uses a lot of True Polymorph spells, which the sorcerer doesn't get and can't safely cast with Wish), there's nothing stopping the sorcerer from doing the same thing- even if it'll take more time.
Unfortunately, it would not work. As the final spells for some creations must be cast in succession and the sorcerer only have one wish. Some of the more powerful golems require three or four different spells to create. Wishing for such scrolls is still possible but the risk is there as you are wishing for an item...

At least, that is how golems were built in previous editions and until we get more on them in 5ed, it would be my go to.

Hohige

Explorer
Unfortunately, it would not work. As the final spells for some creations must be cast in succession and the sorcerer only have one wish. Some of the more powerful golems require three or four different spells to create. Wishing for such scrolls is still possible but the risk is there as you are wishing for an item...

At least, that is how golems were built in previous editions and until we get mor
You couldn't be more wrong.
Nothing says It's Wizard only...We are in 5e and not 3.5e
The same applies to any Flameskull creature or any other creature.

Manual of Golems​

Wondrous item, very rare

This tome contains information and incantations necessary to make a particular type of golem. The GM chooses the type or determines it randomly. To decipher and use the manual, you must be a Spellcaster with at least two 5th-level Spell Slots. A creature that can’t use a manual of golems and attempts to read it takes 6d6 psychic damage.

d20GolemTimeCost
1-5Clay30 days65,000 gp
6-17Flesh60 days50,000 gp
18Iron120 days100,000 gp
19-20Stone90 days80,000 gp

The Aberrant Mind is just infinitely stronger than the Wizard. It's clear as water.

Last edited:

The sorcerer can control 12 creatures forever each day.
5 days = 60 creatures controled.
Acess to golem or outside isn't on Wizard's trick. It's all spellcasters with enough gold.

Manual of Golems​

Wondrous item, very rare

The tome is not the only way to create golems. 5ed is a bit silent on these but even then, the wizard would have unlimited resources. He has the whole world after all.

Until 5ed gives us non item like ways to build golems and other such servants, we will have to rely on what previous editions did.

Hohige

Explorer
The tome is not the only way to create golems. 5ed is a bit silent on these but even then, the wizard would have unlimited resources. He has the whole world after all.

Until 5ed gives us non item like ways to build golems and other such servants, we will have to rely on what previous editions did.
Unlimited resources is a terrible argument for measuring the power of a class.
Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is infinitely more powerful, social god and the best mind controlling and can do everything that a wizard can do.

"Until 5ed gives us non item like ways to build golems and other such servants, we will have to rely on what previous editions did."
You couldn't be more wrong.
It's completely DM fiat.
All of your premises are wrong.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Actually, either Bard (through Magical Secrets) or Wizard can conquer the world easily via Simulacrum and Wish:

PC has Simulacrum and Wish prepared
Cast Simulacrum on himself to create #1
After the PC has a long rest and gets back his 7th level slot:

#1 uses Wish to create another simulacrum of the PC (who still has Wish), call it #2
#2 uses Wish to create another simulacrum of the PC (again, still has Wish), call it #3
And so on...

Since using a Wish removes the need for material components or such, each new simulacrum is there instantly, and since a Wish only costs 1 action, you get another one every six seconds. Within an hour, you have 600 simulacrums; over 14000 within a day. A year later, over 1 million.

And all these simulacrums (of the original PC) has half his HP and all his prepared spells/ slots except Wish, never eat nor sleep, etc. The PC can have each one control a town, or use more than one if necessary. When one dies, another takes its place.

Make the PC an elf, which could have hundreds of years to prepare, and millions upon millions of simulacrums.

So, as I said in the beginning:
Strictly RAW? Yes, very much so.

Unless you nerf Wizard spells, there really isn't any debate on it. 🤷‍♂️

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Actually, either Bard (through Magical Secrets) or Wizard can conquer the world easily via Simulacrum and Wish:

PC has Simulacrum and Wish prepared
Cast Simulacrum on himself to create #1
After the PC has a long rest and gets back his 7th level slot:

#1 uses Wish to create another simulacrum of the PC (who still has Wish), call it #2
#2 uses Wish to create another simulacrum of the PC (again, still has Wish), call it #3
And so on...

Since using a Wish removes the need for material components or such, each new simulacrum is there instantly, and since a Wish only costs 1 action, you get another one every six seconds. Within an hour, you have 600 simulacrums; over 14000 within a day. A year later, over 1 million.

And all these simulacrums (of the original PC) has half his HP and all his prepared spells/ slots except Wish, never eat nor sleep, etc. The PC can have each one control a town, or use more than one if necessary. When one dies, another takes its place.

Make the PC an elf, which could have hundreds of years to prepare, and millions upon millions of simulacrums.

So, as I said in the beginning:

Infinite simulacra is banned by the OP. Also, Arcana Clerics are offended that they weren't included in the Wish-Simulacrum club.

Remove ads