• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

24 - 4e style

The Digger

First Post
"Sure thing, Barrion"

Garrick is just about to chuck his throwing star at the nearest cultist when Leyra unexpectedly pops up and sears the unfortunate with some kind of fire attack.

"Nice one, Leyra. I think that's enough for now. Now get your ass back upstairs before those *&^&% over there decide to get too close!"

Garrick grins and spins a little closer launching his star at the next nearest cultist with deadly results. That done, expecting retaliation at any moment from the chief cultists, the little rogue darts for the ladder to scoot back upstairs.

[sblock=OOC]Deft Strike vs cultist at V16; Move to V10 and throw. Hit 23 AC (Roll Lookup ) for 11 damage (Roll Lookup ) move to ladder and start to climb (hide!)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Nathan, feeling the cold, shrug the effect and move out of the corridor to not be a target anuymore. He move next to the storage doors and try to test them to see if they are solid.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Minor: Mythal Recovery: 1d20=10 not slowed anymore.

Move: Move to L6

Standard: Forced the door: 1d20+4=15 I doubt it work.[/SBLOCK]

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Dagran moves to the machine, grabs it and pushes it to the west as fast as he can.

OOC: Double move + Run if allowed.

Dagran Move over the the ladder and climbs down.

OOC: Ends turn at U8.

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC to Dagran and Garrick]Err... the way I read this, Dagran is moving down the same ladder that Garrick is trying to climb back up...

Garrick used deft strike to V10 so he had to move 2 square back to the ladder and had 4 squares left of movement. Since climbing cost double, he is presumably 2 square up at the moment (midway).

BTW; Garrick can't use stealth right now. You need to break line of sight (which you will achieve as soon as you can move in the corridor away from the panel)

Meanwhile Dagran needs to spend a move to get in position in the ladder (as mentioned in the first post describing the map) and he is already 2 square away from the ladder so he needs to move there in the first place.

Move : to U7
Move : position himself to climb down and enter U8

I'd allow a move action to include a 1 square shift (Like you can do when you spend a move to make an escape check, for instance) but not 2, meaning that you must be adjacent to the U8 square when you spend the move action to ready yourself, like Leyra did.

And either Dagran or Garrick would then have to succeed an acrobatic check to move over the other on their way up or down.

Considering all this, Dagran is about to waste an entire round in movement and then possibly provoke a failed check that might cause either one of the agents to fall down to the pit...

The sane thing to do is move near the ladder but then perform some sort of attack while Garrick is moving up and then go down on the next round, with just one move of delay (since you needed to move next to the ladder anyway).

I will keep Dagran's first intent, which was to use the machine (though he wanted to move to some other panel). Moving the machine cost double, so with a move, Dagran can get it into the opening at U7 and with a standard action he can operate it.

Next round, Garrick can finish climbing (cost of 4 square) and push the machine out of his way as he enters U7 (2 more square). He can even make an attack since his standard action will still be available. Then Dagran, on the same round, can start climbing down if he still wishes it; since he will be adjacent, he will get in position in just one move (or a free action if he has the guts to risk a stunt acrobatic check) and get down with just one move of delay and won't have wasted his previous round.

Hope you don't mind too much the rewrite of actions, but this was like air control watching two planes about to crash into each other for lack of proper informations. Since I'm air control in the metaphor, it is mostly my fault, so I apologize.
[/sblock]

Nathan is surprised to see the door open on the first kick. Some genius in charge of security had installed brand new steel locks on doors that had started to rot due to the humidity. The lock is stil intact but the bolt ripped through the wood as if it was butter.

Eager to go down but seeing that Garrick is in the process of climbing, Dagran tries to cover his buddy with the machine. Swinging it in position, he pulls the trigger and hopes for the best.

[sblock=OOC]Leyra and Garrick are safe from the machine. Since it is 4 square higher than the ground, the first four squares away from the wall are not in the angle of fire.[/sblock]

targets (2d4=5)

3 cultist, DM2, FS (cover) (1d20+10=17, 1d8+2=6, 1d20+10=16, 1d8+2=7, 1d20+10=22, 1d8+2=3, 1d20+10=21, 1d8+2=10, 1d20+10=12, 1d8+2=6)

Three cultist dead, I'm gonna grant Combat advantage against the ritual leaders (monks plus skulls) since they aren't just providing energy but are concentrating on shaping the ritual. That means Dm2 is also hit, and poisoned.

With only three cultist left, the ritual collapses. The Balor screams in inhuman fury and disappear in a whirls of hellfire. The Skull Lord shouts in agony. As the leader of the effort, he is taking a vicious backlash.

Backlash (2d10=15) + daze (save ends)

Reeling from the pain, he still has the presence of mind to fight back. One pair of eyes flare and suddenly a destroyed cultist reanimates, springs to his feet and charged Leyra.

charge (1d20+8=28) 5 damage

His associates near the ritual circle fare a bit better but the three remaining acolytes are consumed by the fire.

DM2, FS, vs Fort 16, VS Fort 18 (1d20+10=16, 1d10=9, 1d20+10=15, 1d10=5) DM2 is dazed

The poisoned monk staggers away from the circle.

The flame skull onthe other hand is fully alert and flies right over it and gets cover from the pillar while maintaining a line of sight on Leyra and fries her badly.

Flame ray (1d20+12=23, 2d6+6=13)

Meanwhile, the cultists mage in the corridor rush to cover, ready to start blasting in the corridor against the agents before long.

The other Dark moon monk in the chamber keeps moving toward Leyra, taking cover beside the pillar next to the cleric.

Skull Lord Vs Daze, DM2 vs Daze, DM2 vs poison (1d20=11 (+2), 1d20=11, 1d20=17)

The clear malevolance of the skull lord returns in his eyes and he is prepared to turn his full fury against the meddlers who ruined his ritual. The poisoned monk also overcome his ailments.

4shared.com - photo sharing - download image Ritual6.jpg

Ritual6.jpg

Machine : 62/70
Halfling DC2 : 36/48
Dm2 : 46 / 68
Skull Lord : 25/40

Leyra : 17/49, [2]
Nathan : 42 /66 [4] slowed (save ends), AP spent
Barrion : 41 + 5 /56 [3] AP spent
Garrick : 40 +5 / 52 [2] second chance spent. AP spent
Mirage : 49/49 [6]
Dagran : 38 / 66 [2]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Flameskull
Tiny natural animate (undead)
Passive Perception DC 21
HP 70; Bloodied 35
Regeneration 5
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Refl ex 23, Will 21
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 fire, 5 necrotic; Vulnerable 5
radiant
AoO : none (reach 0)

Dark Moon Monk
Medium natural humanoid
Perception passive DC 20
HP 68; Bloodied 34
AC 22; Fortitude 16, Refl ex 20, Will 18
Speed 7
AoO +12 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage.

Erekose13

Explorer
Seeing Dagran manage to maneuver the machine into place, Mirage stops and turns back to the other window near Nathan and boots it back. Once in place he sees that the entire battle has changed while he was hiding out between panels. Spotting the Skull Lord far across the room, Mirage hefts his orb and concentrates on the image of the Balor. A phantasmal balor rears up in front of the Skull Lord and brings its heavy flaming phantasmal whip down on one of the skulls, which the Skull Lord promptly ignores...

Cursing at his luck and his lack of proper preparation (man I should've memorized Fireball) Mirage throws a phantasmal spear down on the monk he can see. At least he was successful at that one.

[sblock=ooc]Move: walk back to other window

Standard: Phantasmal Assailant vs. Skull Lord (1d20+10=21, 2d10+5=19)

Minor: na

Action Point: atk DM in range (1d20+10=21, 1d6+5=10) DM takes -2 attack penalty till Mirage's next turn.

[/sblock][sblock=stats]Initiative +7

Hit Points 49/49
Temporary HP 0
Healing Surges 7/8 [I think Mirage only needed one to go back up from 41 to 49 hps after the last battle]

Action Points 0
Milestones 2

Armor Class 19
Fortitude 16
Reflex 19
Will 19

OA :bmelee: Dagger +5, 1d4-1

Passive Perception 14
Passive Insight 19

Character Sheet

[sblock=Power Tracker]General:
Surges 7/8
Second Wind
Action Point

Encounter:
Infernal Wrath
Grasping Shadows
Maze of Mirrors

Daily:
Phantom Chasm*/Sleep
Phantasmal Terrain*/Featherfall
Phantasmal Assailant*/Fireball
Invisibility/Disguise Self*

Item:
Orb of Imposition
Orb of Impenetrable Escape/Phantom Soldier[/sblock][/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Leyra

As the cultist attacks her, Leyra nimbly steps around him and fires her bow at him from point blank, killing him... again.

Leyra then moves underneath the Flameskull and calls upon Corellon to strike down the undead foe, but he does not listen well today.

OOC: Immediate Reaction - Shift to T10, Basic Ranged Attack vs. Cultist (Atk 19, hit, Cultist dies),
not sure if there is an OA, since it is not my turn (Atk 20, misses anyways);
Move - Move to Z13;
Minor - Hunter's Quarry on Flameskull;
ACTION POINT (all attacks and defenses +1) - Turn Undead vs. Flameskull (natural 1); Elven Accuracy (a 3, great - sometimes I really hate Invisible Castle - still 14 damage on the Flameskull (half damage (vulnerability counts full; the 23 was with vulnerability so 23-5=18 half of that is 9 and +5 from vulnerability is 14 total));
Standard - Second Wind (heal 12, all defenses +2).

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Mirage]As I pointed out earlier in the OOC thread, you forgot to add the +2 to damage from the orb on your damage. It should be 1d6+7[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads