D&D 3E/3.5 [3.0] Jump v/s [3.5] Jump

Lord Pendragon

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

I think my example was a half-orc ex-Bbn1/Mnk7 with base Str 18, Run, and Skill Focus (Jump). Gah... that adds up to +38, not +37. Oh well.

I really should have written down my work. :D

Edit: Acrobatic makes that +40: 11 ranks, +12 speed, +6 Strength (18+2 racial+2 level), +3 Skill Focus, +2 synergy from Tumble, +4 Run with a running start, +2 Acrobatic = +40. This requires base scores of Str 18 and Int 8. (A human could get +39 with base Str 18, regardless of Int.)
So you're using someone who has put three feats, most of their stat value, and 8 class levels into Jumping as an example of how attainable useful levels of Jump are? I think your example merely emphasizes how ridiculous it is to get decent jumping ability in 3.5.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Lord Pendragon said:
So you're using someone who has put three feats, most of their stat value, and 8 class levels into Jumping as an example of how attainable useful levels of Jump are? I think your example merely emphasizes how ridiculous it is to get decent jumping ability in 3.5.

No, actually. I'm using two supremely-optimized characters to show that it's still easy to jump long distances.

If a first-level character (human, w/o magic) can break the world record, I think -- perhaps -- something's wrong.

Not only can the first-level character beat the world record, he can beat it by three and a half meters (11'8") -- I think the last time the record was broken it was by 5cm (less than 2").

Lord Pendragon

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
If a first-level character (human, w/o magic) can break the world record, I think -- perhaps -- something's wrong.
I can respect that stance, though I don't agree with it. You are, after all, constructing a character to beat the world record. As 1st-level fighters are proficient with all martial weapons (when proficiency in a single weapon takes years,) I find a character optimized for jumping being able to beat the world record just fine in the quasi-reality of D&D. Now, if a non-optimized character could still beat the world record with ease, I could see a problem. :)

Remove ads