D&D 3E/3.5 [3.0] Jump v/s [3.5] Jump

Tellerve

*shrugs* For those otherwordly jumps a la Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon, assuming you prescribe them fully to jump, just look to the OA. As several prestige classes and a martial art form give bonuses to jump. Not that dc 64 would be anything easy granted, but just jumping 8 feet straight up from a stand still is rather incredible.

Tellerve

Lord Pendragon

First Post
LGodamus said:
yeah but flying is magic ...jumping isnt.
A standing high jump of 8 feet is certainly magic. Even in the 3.0 rules, you couldn't even begin to jump that high without some kind of skill enhancing item.

My problem with it is that the magic required to make an 8 foot standing high jump is about four times as expensive as the magic that allows you to fly.

Really, it all comes back to the 3.5 design philosophy. They've treated all skill bonuses as equal, when they most certainly aren't. A 3.0 Ring of Jumping was perfect. It allowed for some impressive jumps, but wasn't as powerful, nor as expensive, as outright flight. In 3.5, the Ring of Jumping is five times as expensive, one-third as powerful, and only an idiot would buy it instead of some form of magical flight.

Number47

First Post
Are you comparing an item that gives you a skill bonus 24 hours a day to an item that give you flight for a limited amount each day and requires an action to activate?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Number47 said:
Are you comparing an item that gives you a skill bonus 24 hours a day to an item that give you flight for a limited amount each day and requires an action to activate?
Yes, I am, and I see no reason not to. The skill bonus to jump isn't the same as a +2 Dex bonus. It will only come into play a few times a day, or even less. In fact, it will come into play roughly as often as flying will (in the cases where flight is used to overcome an obstacle to movement, not combat or long-distance travel, obviously.)

Upping your jumping ability should have a cost on par with its usefulness. Instead, the new skill bonus rules give it a cost that far exceeds its usefulness, a problem further illustrated by the existence of the more-powerful, more-useful, and cheaper flying ability.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:
Yes, I am, and I see no reason not to. The skill bonus to jump isn't the same as a +2 Dex bonus. It will only come into play a few times a day, or even less.

Really? The two people in our game who have boots of striding & springing and rings of jumping use them constantly. Leaping over foes to get at the people they're defending, jumping from rooftop to rooftop...the monk has the Flying Kick feat from OA, so he uses the bonus whenever possible.

J

Lord Pendragon

First Post
drnuncheon said:

Really? The two people in our game who have boots of striding & springing and rings of jumping use them constantly. Leaping over foes to get at the people they're defending, jumping from rooftop to rooftop...the monk has the Flying Kick feat from OA, so he uses the bonus whenever possible.

J
Wish I was in your game. I had a rogue with the Boots who was just about to get the Ring. But the truth was, with the exception of a naga sitting on top of a cone with Fire Wall cast around the base, she hardly ever had the chance to jump at all. :(

drnuncheon

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:
Wish I was in your game. I had a rogue with the Boots who was just about to get the Ring. But the truth was, with the exception of a naga sitting on top of a cone with Fire Wall cast around the base, she hardly ever had the chance to jump at all. :(

We do a lot more urban and wilderness adventuring than we do dungeoneering, so maybe there's more chance to use the increased mobility - or maybe we all watch too many wuxia and swashbuckling films, not sure which. :D

The trick is not to jump only when you have to, it is to jump whenever you can!

J

Remove ads