D&D 3E/3.5 [3.0] Jump v/s [3.5] Jump

iwatt

First Post
I attach an excel file which compares the difference in both skills. Each page has a Graph, in which the solid line is the 3.0 version, while the dashed line is the 3.5 version. I wanted to compare how the two jump skills work under different speeds, for the same jumper. So the X axis is the d20 roll + Jump Ranks +Str Mod + Misc Mod (Armor, Synergy, but NOT Speed in the 3.5 version).
The +4 per 10 feet is included directly in the jump calculations. I thought I'd post this and see what everybody thought.
By the bye, you could say Jump was toned down.

Running long jump:
At speed 30' and in both 3.0 and 3.5 are equal. At higher speeds you jump less in 3.5 than before. At lower speeds, a modified rolll of 17 is the break even point. At higher rolls, 3.5 is better.

Standing Long Jump
Each speed category execpt for 30' has a break even point, with 3.5 having shorter distances at higher modified rolls. 3.5 speed 30' is slightly more powerful.

Running High jump:
same as standing long jump

Standing High Jump:
This is the most nerfed category of all. Only at 20' speed an very high modified rolls is 3.5 jump higher tha 3.0

Attachments

• jump comparison.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 142

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Frankly, I think the sheer usability of the 3.5e jump skill makes any calculations irrelevant from a DM point of view.

Now I say "You see a 12ft Crevasse. DC12 to jump"

Then I had to say "You see a crevasse. Do you want to try to jump it?" PC's were unable to estimate the risk of attempting a jump, it had to be calculated separately for each person etc. etc.

I reverse-engineered the 3e equations do that I could set DC's for jumps, but even that was complicated because of speeds etc.

The new method is nice and easy for DMs and Players. It is what the jump skill should have been from the beginning.

Cheers

Gort

Explorer
Is it realistic though?

I mean, what's the long jump record, something like 24 feet? (well, it was in 1988, that's good enough)

DC 25 jump to break the olympic record?

Agreed though, I like the new jump checks. Although maybe it should be DC = 5 + distance?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The new Jump skill is one of my favorite 3.5 changes. The monk in my game can still break the olympic record with ease. :D

drnuncheon

Explorer
Gort said:
Agreed though, I like the new jump checks. Although maybe it should be DC = 5 + distance?

Realistic? It's heroic fantasy, man.

5+distance is the way the DCs are calculated in d20 Modern, I believe.

J

Balgus

First Post
Gort:I mean, what's the long jump record, something like 24 feet? (well, it was in 1988, that's good enough)
DC 25 jump to break the olympic record?
It's actually like 29 feet, something. And so it is DC30. Which makes it as hard to break as a magical trap for a highly trained rogue.

I think it is very nice how they broke the distances up and gave you a "if you fail the jump, you are still able to catch the ledge on the other side with a reflex DC15". That was much better than the hit or miss that was happening before.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Balgus said:
I think it is very nice how they broke the distances up and gave you a "if you fail the jump, you are still able to catch the ledge on the other side with a reflex DC15".

I guess someone was watching their Raiders of the Lost Ark tapes. ;)

J

Branduil

Hero
Gort said:

If they did that, a standing jump of 5 ft. across would be DC 20. I guess I have 10 ranks in jump.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
So, if I understand them correctly, a standing high jump of 8 feet by the new rules requires a DC 64 jump check?

And a +30 to Jump item now costs 30,000gp+...

*sigh* Even more than in 3.0, it really is easier to just fly...

[edit] extra letter...

Last edited:

Remove ads