D&D 3E/3.5 [3.0] Jump v/s [3.5] Jump

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Actually, I've been thinking about this - I have a barbarian who was using a ring of jumping in 3.0 for quite a while.

Now it's down to being a +5 to jump instead of +30. That sounds like a massive drop. HOWEVER

alter self cannot be used to give you wings. Fly lasts for 1 minute a level. Polymorph lasts for 1 minute a level. Wings of flying cost 54,000 bucks, and every other flight item is quite expensive, and has a duration given in minutes.

In short - climb and jump are actually useful skills again. That greatly overrides the loss to my jumping ability, because there's now actually a reason to use it!

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
In short - climb and jump are actually useful skills again. That greatly overrides the loss to my jumping ability, because there's now actually a reason to use it!
Actually, no. If your Ring of Jumping still gave you a +30, then there'd be a good mechanical reason to jump, for all the reasons you mentioned. However, with a +10 to Jump costing 10,000gp, and +30 to jump costing roughly 30,000gp, (I think, I haven't done any calculations), it is still more sensible to get either Winged Boots or a Cloak of the Mountebank instead. Jumping is just too expensive.

Drnuncheon: I agree. My rogue never really (with the exception of the naga incident) made a difference because of jumping, but she jumped all the time. I just wish I could have gotten her Up the Walls as well. :D

coyote6

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
+30 to jump costing roughly 30,000gp, (I think, I haven't done any calculations),

90,000 gp, FWIW.

A continuous fly item would be 60,000 gp (assuming no body affinity price increase, which basically means "assuming they were boots"). If it were a hat or belt of flying or the like, it would cost 90,000 gp.

Me, I think they overpriced skill bonuses for most skills. For some skills (Use Magic Device), they're still probably underpriced.

I believe breaking skills into a few (2-3) different groups, with different price formulas, and/or having more breakpoints* would be a superior solution then 3.5e's "quintuple 'em all!" approach.

(*Currently, there's one formula for bonuses up to +30, then the epic x10 multiplier kicks in.)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
Actually, no. If your Ring of Jumping still gave you a +30, then there'd be a good mechanical reason to jump, for all the reasons you mentioned. However, with a +10 to Jump costing 10,000gp, and +30 to jump costing roughly 30,000gp, (I think, I haven't done any calculations), it is still more sensible to get either Winged Boots or a Cloak of the Mountebank instead. Jumping is just too expensive.

It's much more expensive, but so are methods of flight, and I think that flight lost out over jumping.

iwatt

First Post
Sorry I haven't been around. I was forced to go on a weeklong ski trip :D , and I've had a hell of atime finding a comuter.

I posted the differences in the jump skills so that people would have an idea how it's changed (ther's nothing like a graph to illustare this i believe).

I really do like the 3.5 jump rules, but the different modifiers for speed (+10' -->+4, but -10' --->-6). Have me puzzled. What I've finnally realized is that if they used -4 instead of -6, slow jumpers would always be jumping more in [3.5] than in [3.0]. They still would be jumping less than their faster counterparts, so I really don't see the added complication.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Balgus said:
It's actually like 29 feet, something. And so it is DC30. Which makes it as hard to break as a magical trap for a highly trained rogue.

Eh. A first-level character without magic items can still hit a DC 38 Jump check, 268 cm over the world long jump record.

By 8th level, a character can have Jump +37 without magic. He's automatically breaking the world record, and he doesn't even need a belt of giant strength, boots of striding and springing, and a ring of jumping that let him jump 60+ feet easily for under 20,000 gp.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Lord Pendragon said:

I think my example was a half-orc ex-Bbn1/Mnk7 with base Str 18, Run, and Skill Focus (Jump). Gah... that adds up to +38, not +37. Oh well.

I really should have written down my work. :D

Edit: Acrobatic makes that +40: 11 ranks, +12 speed, +6 Strength (18+2 racial+2 level), +3 Skill Focus, +2 synergy from Tumble, +4 Run with a running start, +2 Acrobatic = +40. This requires base scores of Str 18 and Int 8. (A human could get +39 with base Str 18, regardless of Int.)

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I think the changes in skill items are so that people will actually take skills again and not just buy items.

Who in there right mind would put ranks in jump when you could get +30 for dirt cheap. Now for a person to compete with a rogue in skill, its not let me see what gold I have in my pockets, its let me go make some more gold to pay for that.

Remove ads