• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Alter Self

Wippit Guud

First Post
Hehe...

Flight (Su): A rast can cease or resume flight as a free action. A rast that loses this ability falls and can perform only a single action (either a move action or an attack action) each round.

Sure, be a Rast.... fly is Su, don't get it, and without fly, you only get partial actions (and move at 5ft if you chose to move)

And it's not +15 ac, it's +4 ac, 15 is his total AC

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Ok... I wanna be a planetouched now...

By popular demand, Alter self choices for outsider:

lantern archon - fly 60, +4 ac
Arrowhawk (juvi) - fly 60, natural attack (bite), +4ac
Azer - +6 ac
Dretch - +5 ac, natural attacks (2 claws, 1 bite)
Quasit - fly 50, +3 ac
Imp - fly 50, +5ac, natural attack (tail, no poison)
Lemure - +4 ac, natural attacks (2 claws)
Formorian Warrior - +5 ac, natural attacks (2 claws, sting, but no poison)
Hellhound - +5 ac, scent, +5 hide, +5 move silent, natural attack (bite)
Mephits - various, but all +ac and fly
Rast - +4ac, NO fly, natural attack (4 claws or 1 bite), but 5ft move not worth taking
Ravid - +15 natural (OUCH), Natural attack (tail), free multiattack feat
Salamander (flamebrother) - +7 ac, natural attack (tail), +4 craft blacksmithing, multiattack free
Tojanda - gills, swim 90 (OUCH), +10 ac (OUCH), natural attack (bite and 2 claws), +8 swim, take 10 on swim
Triton - gills, swim 40, +6 ac, +8 swim checks, take 10 swim checks
Xill - +7 ac, natural attacks (4 claws)
Xorn - burrow 20, +12 ac (OUCH), natural attack (bite),
Yeth Hound - +8 ac, scent, natural attack (bite)

Spatula

Explorer
Outsiders like Tieflings can use alter self to turn into mephits (small winged outsiders), gaining 3-6 points of natural armor and a fly speed ranging from 40-60, with a maneuverability between average and perfect (depending on the kind of mephit selected). Not a bad deal at all.

EDIT: Wippit Guard beat me to it!

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you use it for getting natural armour, then you can get up to 8 points.

That's as a were-boar (remember they're humanoids sub-typed as shapeshifters now).

Anyone seen a large-sized humanoid you can become with this? Werebear unfortunately breaks the hit-die cap...

Wippit Guud

First Post
Lycanthropes are a templated creature, and the spell won't allow you to take those forms, even if the creature type remains the same.

In a side note... lycanthroy now affects giants. Fear the storm giant weretiger.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Remember the downsides to some of those Outsider forms... a lot of them don't have the right form to allow spellcasting. Ravids, although they get a nice AC bonus, don't have hands that can manipulate somatic and material components.

Last edited:

Tellerve

Right, I was initially just wandering through the MM looking for things to turn into since I couldn't use Alter self as a disguise spell. I noticed several things that could fly and continued on and was probably just blindsided and just stunned by the +15 nat AC and the fly that I wasn't thinking about the fact I wouldn't be able to fly. I was thinking a great get out of battle form. But yeah, not so great now if I'd just flop around on the ground. Albeit with a +15 to my armor!

Tellerve

edit you wouldn't swim at 90, 'cause alter self limits your no flying movement to 60ft. Also it specifically says you don't get Scent along with most of the other goodies beasties have. And I wonder about creatures with claw/bite routines as it says you don't get more attacks with more limbs. Normally humans or in my case a tiefling doesn't get a claw/claw/bite routine. But would I if I alter selfed into something that does?

Last edited:

Tellerve

Hate to be picky again but I couldn't do an Imp, 'cause it is tiny and I'm medium, and that isn't within' one size range. So basically mephits are the way to go.

Tellerve

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads