D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Nigh-invulnerable Fighter/Sorceror/Eldritch Knight!

Anabstercorian

First Post
Formula:

5 levels of sorcerer, one level of fighter, the rest is Eldritch Knight from there.

Make sure you have Empower Spell and Extend Spell.

Each morning spend ALL of your 2nd level+ spell slots on False life for enough hit points to wade through a big pit of spiked, flaming, electrified Tarrasques with rabies.

My god. My GOD! The sheer invulnerability! The barbarian sorcerer can go running naked through combat cackling with necromantic glee, invulnerable to the slings and arrows of outrageous damage!

Oh, this is gonna be sweet.

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
False life last hours a level. Multiple castings won't stack. However it is almost 1d10+level (max 10) free hit points a fight for this combo. It just might make up for the lousy hit points from eldrich knight and sorcerer.

All in all I'd rather play a battle cleric...

3.5 PHB, p.171-172 "stacking effects"

Tough call. By pure listing of the rules it would seem tat they don't stack (same spell, multiple effects, p.172). But then given the very temporary nature of hit points I'd rule that the answer to this question will determine the answer:

If a character were hit by two fireballs at the same time, one doing 15 points of damage, another doing 30 points. Barring saves or energy resistance would they take 30 points or 15?

IOW - do multiple hit point damaging spells effecting simultaneously stack or not? If they do, then so would healing/temporary hp boosts, imo.

- Ma'at

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Anubis the Doomseer said:
3.5 PHB, p.171-172 "stacking effects"

Tough call. By pure listing of the rules it would seem tat they don't stack (same spell, multiple effects, p.172). But then given the very temporary nature of hit points I'd rule that the answer to this question will determine the answer:

If a character were hit by two fireballs at the same time, one doing 15 points of damage, another doing 30 points. Barring saves or energy resistance would they take 30 points or 15?

IOW - do multiple hit point damaging spells effecting simultaneously stack or not? If they do, then so would healing/temporary hp boosts, imo.

- Ma'at

Damage stacks, extra hit points don't.

The false life spells would overlap, and each instance of extra temporary hit points would be reduced at the same time by a damaging effect.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Anubis the Doomseer said:

Healing and damage are and have always been different from bonuses and penalties.

Example: an effect that does ability damage will stack with itself, but the spell ray of enfeeblement (which gives an ability penalty) will not.

J

I see hit point modifiers (healing/damage) as different from normal bonuses and penalties, but I guess that's an area for a personal house rule, and I see Temporary hit points more like healing than adding a bonus. Given that they are so temporary (ablated first, can not be recovered) I don't see how broken letting them stack would be.

The EK using this build is likely to be very foolhardy, and a lot of those points are going to be gone as he takes risks he wouldn't normally take. Plus, unlike ability bonuses, temp hp don't interfere with things like saving throws, skills, etc. He can still be held, poisoned, petrified, killed outright with Finger of Death, etc.

*shrug*

Fun, let me share mine then:

Monk 1/Wizard4/Ur-Priest (BoVD) 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Archmage 3

Access to 9th level arcane and divine spells at ECL 20, spells known/per day as a 17th level wizard and 19th level Ur-Priest. Cast spells as a 23rd level wizard and 25th level Ur Priest, I suggest spell penetration and greater spell penetration as well. :)

Remove ads