D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Nigh-invulnerable Fighter/Sorceror/Eldritch Knight!

slor

First Post
Hmm...I am looking at p.172 at the "Same effect more than once in different strengths" section and it states that only the one with the best strength applies. So would the following make sense instead?

A pc has two false life spells cast on himself with the first casting giving 10 temp hp and the second giving 12 temp hp. The pc takes 4 points of damage. So now the first casting still has 10 and the second casting has 8 hp. The pc takes 3 more points of damage so the first casting has 7 and the second 8 hp. And so on...

This would make overlap equivalent to a stacking effect for this case.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Slor

Caliban said:

Damage stacks, extra hit points don't.

The false life spells would overlap, and each instance of extra temporary hit points would be reduced at the same time by a damaging effect.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
slor said:
Hmm...I am looking at p.172 at the "Same effect more than once in different strengths" section and it states that only the one with the best strength applies. So would the following make sense instead?

A pc has two false life spells cast on himself with the first casting giving 10 temp hp and the second giving 12 temp hp. The pc takes 4 points of damage. So now the first casting still has 10 and the second casting has 8 hp. The pc takes 3 more points of damage so the first casting has 7 and the second 8 hp. And so on...

This would make overlap equivalent to a stacking effect for this case.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Slor

Either only one is in effect, and the others are gone, or they are all in effect at once, and are all reduced at the same time.

There is no way to gain a benefit from multiple castings of the same spell (other than taking the best of any randomly rolled results) unless it is an "instantaneous" spell.

Look at how the Resist and Protection from Energy spells overlap.

Last edited:

Remove ads