• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Only Smackdown

jabberwocky

First Post
Suicidal Demon Bombing

Character: NE Lich Cleric 13/hierophant 3 (ECL 20) with the travel and evil domains, and spell power x3.

Staff of Gate: 364,750 gp
20 Beads of Karma(15 self-created): 250,000 gp
Lich's Phylactery: 120,000
Total : 734,750 (and 16,800 xp spent)

Activate all 20 Beads of Karma - this takes two minutes and gives you a caster level of 100 for evil spells. In the time you have left before the beads of karma start wearing off, use up all the charges in the staff, calling 5 Balors every time. This gives you a tidy little army of 250 Balors.

You still have almost three minutes before the beads start wearing off, so you can take your time choosing a target. Once you have chosen a victim, you and all the balors greater teleport to whatever/whoever your target is, keeping all of the balors within 50 ft of you. Once you have appeared at your destination, you delay your action until after the balors, and command all the balors to summon more balors. This doubles the size of your balor army to 500. Once all the demons are there, you use your delayed action to cast Dictum - automatically killing all the balors within 40 ft of you, who promptly explode for 100 points of damage, causing a chain reaction where all the other Balors explode as well.
You should be able to fit 500 balors within a 50ft radius sphere [volume of a sphere that size is 523,598 cubic feet, and if you consider a balor to be occupying a space with a radius of 6' (as they're 12 ft tall) you can fit 578 balor-volumes into that sphere]. This means that you have a blast area of a 100' diameter sphere where anything in that sphere takes 50,000 points of damage, or 25,000 if it makes 500 separate DC 30 Reflex Saves. There's wildly varying amounts of damage as you move outward from that sphere, but anything within 150' of you is still taking some balor blast damage. The fun part is that the damage is all non-magical energy (death throes is an extroadinary ability), so spell resistance/magic immunity/antimagic field all won't help.

Of course, you take this damage as well, but you don't care - you're a lich and you'll just reform in 1d10 days. Alternately, you can spread your balors out in a disc with greater distance between them, so that the chain reaction of balor-bombs spreads the damage over a vastly wider area. I havent bothered working it out, but you could probably get at least several hundred damage to everything within a few thousand feet of you.

Last edited:

Shadeus

First Post
Okay, let me try for the most damage in one hit.

1st-level barbarian/19th-level cleric

Domains: Magic, Strength

Equipment: wand of polymorph (15th-level caster), scroll of greater magic weapon (20th-level), rhino hide armor, +1 viscious, auxomatic, holy, frost, shock huge heavy lance of spell storing (with vampiric touch as a 20th-level caster stored), manual of gainful exercise +5, potion of rage

Spells cast: Divine Favor, Divine Power, Monster Summoning VIII
Relavant feats: Spirited Charge, Power Attack

Tactic: summon a celestial triceratops to ride for the charge, polymorph into a fire giant, hit someone really hard

Str: 31 (fire giant) + 5 (inherit) + 6 (Divine Power) + 4 (barb rage) + 2 (Rage spell) + 19 (Str domain) = Str 67

Damage: 2d6 (huge heavy lance) + 42 (Str-2 handed) + 5 (enhancement on lance) + 6 (divine favor) + 40 (power attack) + 10d6 (vampiric touch) + 8d6 (various other enchantments) + 2d6 (rhino hide)
Charge Damage: (2d6 + 93) x 3 + 20d6
Ave Dmg: 370

jabberwocky said:
15 Scrolls of Gate: 132,375 gp

What caster level are these scrolls? I'm assuming you want to control the balors, so that means you must have 1 level/HD of balor.

Activate 83 Beads of Karma - this takes 8.3 minutes and gives you a caster level of 360. In the 1.7 minutes you have left before the beads of karma start wearing off, cast 15 Gate spells from the scrolls, calling 18 Balors every time.

The scroll's caster level is not your caster level. This will beef up spells you cast yourself, but has no effect on scrolls. As a result, you will have 15 balors, assuming each scroll has a caster level of 20 or so.

Once all the demons are there, you use your delayed action to cast Dictum - automatically killing all the balors within 40 ft of you, who promptly explode for 100 points of damage, causing a chain reaction where all the other Balors explode as well.

1500 damage - yup, that'll do it.

Alternately, you could summon 540 efreet, and have them all grant you three wishes. 1,620 Wishes :)

You could call 15, at a high cost in scrolls of gate.

FrankTrollman

First Post
But if he had a Staff of Gate it would be cheaper even. 364,750 gp for a fully charged one - 109,425 if it only has 15 shots left.

Alternately, you could summon 540 efreet, and have them all grant you three wishes.

That's a whole different problem. An Efreet can be bound with Planar Binding and be forced to give you three wishes. Since an Efreet does not pay the XP cost for its Spell-like abilties, there is no limit to how powerful of a magic item it can bestow unto you. The XP cost goes up massively as you wish for magical objects of more than 15,000 gp value - but as we know: 200,000 times zero is still zero.

You can Wish for a Staff of Wishes off of that guy. It's very expensive, but the cost - no matter how high is still reduced to zero. 3rd Edition + Efreets was bad - 3.5 + Efreets is worse.

-Frank

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
jabberwocky said:
Thanks for going through the wild shape/wild armor/alter self rundown. :)
But I'm not sure I'm following this - instead of alter self, youre shapechanging into a gold dragon, right? In which case you're losing 13 points of AC from size and dex, and gaining 34 points of natural armor, so I see the AC at 124 - am I missing something?
3 more Dwarven Defender levels would get you another +1 AC, and adding a monks belt would give you 1 more point of AC as well. Also, reading a scroll of foresight would give you a +2 insight bonus, replacing the ioun stone's +1. This brings your AC to 127.
Yup, you're absolutely right. 124 is the right figure. I forgot to subtract off the base 10 points when I added in the dragon's ac.

Snipehunt

First Post
If you allow the infinite karma beads ploy, another fun spell to cast (besides blasphemy :rolleyes: ) is slay living. If the target fails the save, they're dead. Fine.

If the target makes the save, it does 3d6+1/caster level. No cap on caster level damage. It's just like the old fireball - no limits here. You could empower it, I guess, and get infinity +27 max, instead of infinity +18 max.

With only 83, will, limited to 332+18. Seems a little tawdry next to Frank's charging wizard, though.

Add a rod of quicken, get up to 664+36. That's not bad against somebody who makes two saves. It's no 15 balors blowing themselves up, either, though.

Or make infinite walls of iron, and fabricate infinite amounts of it into something else. You could polymorph any object an infinite amount of the iron into whatever else you need to make something. Just don't make jewelry or anything.

Victim

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Which, under 3.5 Core Rules as written, is, uh, all of them.

The market value of a Standard Strand of Prayer Bead with only the Karma Bead on it is zero gp, according to the DMG.

-Hyp.

Hmm. You know, I read that section as the cost for each bead. Silly me thinking that the awesome bead of Karma price was increased to 20k. What an amazing fix.

Mewness

First Post
Just a note for the highest ACers -- more AC can be squeezed out by using an Animated Shield and then dual wielding defending weapons.

reapersaurus

Explorer
oh, come on, now. this is getting a bit ridiculous.
What's the point of working up anything that relies on the Bead of Karma being 0 gp?
It really doesn't matter what typo the DMG has, it's obvious that it will cost more than 0 gp, and IIRC, isn't it priced in the SRD?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
reapersaurus said:
It really doesn't matter what typo the DMG has, it's obvious that it will cost more than 0 gp...

Hey, this thread is 3.5 Core Rules Only! You want to play with House Rules on the pricing of a Bead of Karma, start your own! :D

... and IIRC, isn't it priced in the SRD?

Identically. Start at 25,800, and subtract 9,000, and subtract 16,800.

-Hyp.

Remove ads