D&D 5E 3 Of The Adventures in Candlekeep Mysteries

Candlekeep is a 'hub' full of portals to different adventures, each portal being a book, in the upcoming Candlekeep Mysteries adventure anthology for D&D. Here's the names of three of the adventures according to iO9. The adventures are standalone. A ghost dragon lives under the library, and the PCs can interact with her. The 'codename' for the book was 'Microwave'. The Canopic Being...

Candlekeep is a 'hub' full of portals to different adventures, each portal being a book, in the upcoming Candlekeep Mysteries adventure anthology for D&D. Here's the names of three of the adventures according to iO9. The adventures are standalone. A ghost dragon lives under the library, and the PCs can interact with her.

960x0.jpg

The 'codename' for the book was 'Microwave'.
  • The Canopic Being (Jennifer Kretchmer, disability advocate) -- jars of internal organs in Tashlua, a trade city in Tashalar, and a deep 3D dungeon crawl full of elevators and ramps.
  • Zikran’s Zephyrean Tome (Taylor Rehman, game designer) -- a genie in a book in Candlekeep asks you to free it in exchange for a wish. The genie has an evil former master.
  • Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion (Amy Vorpahl, comedian)-- a stolen book contains blueprints of Candlekeep. A comedic adventure. Includes mechanical creatures called Skitterwidgets, which have babies called Kittiewidgets.

Lets not judge an adventure before we've actually read it.

Besides, the idea of this book seems to be to provide a wide serving of different adventures, so there is something to everyones liking. It's nice to know that not every adventure is super serious. Who knows, it might even be the most fun adventure of the bunch. They must have highlighted it for a reason.

Lefi2017

Explorer
Befor oyu read this let me make clear I genraly let plays play almost any concept the ocem up with even scention animals in countles variations all of them have there ups and downs, So I would never stope players from having a pc fith a disabilaty i acually had pc with missing body parts or of very old age with certain effects on the pc (not all bad to there where siutaition where there condions helpted them) but I always played it like this you face unice hor harder chalanges if oyu play an unushhal pc or evne a pc race that is not standard to that setting so they and there group had a chance to tackel these situation in there own creative way

Question: Is making a dungeon catering to a disability not some how cheapening things? where is the unice way to overcome there disadvangtage like Toph from last Air bender? Compendsating in there own unice way that migth be more challanging but because of tghat more unice and rewarding?

That said I wander how and why a dungeon like this exists ? and if there are elivator traps like in CoS

The thing is, Toph is not really a good example of a character with a disability, since her super powers (much like Dare Devil) essentially made her not blind.

As a DM, I love it when a player chooses to play a character with a real disability. I tend to discuss with my players whether they want their character to also have penalties on certain checks based on that disability, or bonuses on others. But I'm fine with a pirate character (for example) who suffers no disadvantage at all from their wooden pegleg. This is something I let the player decide.

In agreement with the player, it can be exciting to play with the fact that they have a disability, by deliberately confronting their characters with obstacles specifically for their disability. To me that is more interesting than having access ramps everywhere.

Lefi2017

Explorer
The thing is, Toph is not really a good example of a character with a disability, since her super powers (much like Dare Devil) essentially made her not blind.

As a DM, I love it when a player chooses to play a character with a real disability. I tend to discuss with my players whether they want their character to also have penalties on certain checks based on that disability, or bonuses on others. But I'm fine with a pirate character (for example) who suffers no disadvantage at all from their wooden pegleg. This is something I let the player decide.

In agreement with the player, it can be exciting to play with the fact that they have a disability, by deliberately confronting their characters with obstacles specifically for their disability. To me that is more interesting than having access ramps everywhere.
DnD pcs are not normal person magic and class skill compare them to a commoner NPC

but we agree it fares more interesting to see the pc and the group overcome these difficulties in there own way than just handing them it.

I often think these extra rules are made from people that experienced only bad DMs that are not willing to conceptualize how the pc would work or talk it out in session 0 or before the new PC comes in.
5e open and flexible system allows for quick adaptation and change or homebrew so this was never a problem this is a Player Dm communication thing (Players always should pitch there PC with the DM to see if the fit unless it is a sandbox game where anything can happen but even then it only helps both siedes)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This one doesnt sound promising. Amy Vorpahl, never heard of her. Quick google search and she comes up as actor, comedian and pro- gamer, anyone know if she has any other RPG writing credits?

I mainly know her from her game-themed music. I believe she created songs for a popular live play game she participated in, some of which became popular on YouTube and then she put out an album.

R_J_K75

Legend
I mainly know her from her game-themed music. I believe she created songs for a popular live play game she participated in, some of which became popular on YouTube and then she put out an album.
Saw some pictures of what appeared to be her in a band. Is her real last name Vorpahl or if its just a play on Vorpal? I suspect the latter.

Remove ads

Remove ads