D&D 5E 3 Years Later: D&D's total Domination on Amazon (and Earth in General)

Hussar

Legend
Can we not at least all agree that D&D is doing very, very well? Between Amazon and things like Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds (remember, they actually sell PHB, MM, and DMG on Fantasy Grounds, at the same cover price as the physical book), they have to be doing pretty darn well.

When the president of WotC announces that sales are up 50% year on year, that's gotta be a pretty darn good thing. When the RPG market TRIPLES in size in 5 years, that's gotta be a pretty good thing.

Put it another way. What bad news indicators have we had?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 9.48.21 AM.png

Tomb of Annihilation is out, and overall sales put it at 754.

Starfinder is also in the 700s, and XGE has had very good presales, right now at 267.

PHB, at 93, still in the top 100.

Hussar

Legend
Hang on a tick. Tomb of Annihilation isn't out on Amazon yet. It's still on pre-order, and not out until the 19th.

I believe it's out for the FLGS' because don't they get stuff earlier than Amazon?

Note, as I type this, Amazon.com pegs the module, on pre-order, at #527 in books.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hang on a tick. Tomb of Annihilation isn't out on Amazon yet. It's still on pre-order, and not out until the 19th.

I believe it's out for the FLGS' because don't they get stuff earlier than Amazon?

Note, as I type this, Amazon.com pegs the module, on pre-order, at #527 in books.

Participating FLGS get their copies about a week or so early.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Good point! So we have 10 days. It will go up. But I don' expect it to hit CoS or TofYP levels, each of which hit core book sales levels, at least for a while. We will see.

Hussar

Legend
How high did CoS or TofYP hit? Tomb is at 400 (ish) right now. It would be interesting to compare the modules and get a sense of trends. Do the modules all follow largely the same sales trajectory or are they more unique?

What really bakes my noodle is SCAG. Good grief, that's a two year old supplement and it's still ranked pretty high - 1500 (ish) in books. That's bloody impressive for a book that people had a lot of complaints about.

Last edited:

happyhermit

Adventurer
CoS seems to have done way better than the other adventures, it is often ranked as high or higher than even the more recent titles, while blowing away any older ones. How much is due to the quality of the adventure vs setting/flavour is hard to tell but it is certainly interesting and no doubt noticed by Wotc that the one adventure from a different setting is doing so well. Here are a few numbers from a year ago;

October 23 2016 Amazon rankings in All Books, hopefully without mistakes, first in USA then in Canada in brackets;
PHB; #68 (#14!)
DMG; #209 (#42!)
MM; #234 (#40!)
Starter set; #493 (#189)
Storm King's Thunder; #1812 (#422)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide; #2220 (#5509?!?)
Curse of Strahd; #2405 (#1511)

So, the overall sales ranks in the US have slipped a bit in the last month, these numbers do just around a lot in response to actual sales.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?496562-D-amp-D-product-sales-numbers-on-Amazon-etc&p=6925611&viewfull=1#post6925611

Remove ads