D&D General 40 Year D&D Campaign

Kannik

Hero
Apologies if this has been posted before (I searched and didn't find anything), just saw this video on this D&D campaign that has been running for 40 years:

Some highlights: based on 2e rules but heavily modded, dozens of current players (some local, some virtual), everything is displayed using miniatures and terrain, and his daughter plays in the game. Also some thoughts on what it takes to run a long-time campaign. It's a fun watch! :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It is a fun watch and I am little jealous - but also a very intense dude! Not letting other people touch his minis seems extreme, but the whole thing about saying that if his daughter breaks up with her bf, he still gets to stay in the game because "I can't break up with him" seemed beyond the pale to me. Then again, I also have to wonder why the bf would want to stay in the game and deal with that awkwardness.

Stormonu

Legend
That's massive and impressive.

My own poor campaign world has only be around close to 35 years, but I haven't been running it exclusively (lots of Greyhawk and other worlds as well, and even non-D&D games.)

I do take umbrage at his game being the best. He's clearly not played in some of the games I run.

Man, as impressive a feat as this is, I couldn't do 40 years of running the same campaign. That's just too much, whether as a player or as a DM. I'd want new things eventually.

I have to think that they've been retiring characters and adding new ones the whole time. That was certainly the style in the early 80s. I have to think they had a dark brooding period in the 90s or early 00s where they went to some new continent across the sea and had whole new adventures there.

It's really an impressive amount of work, but as a person who is only a handful of years older than that campaign... I don't take D&D anywhere near as seriously as this guy seems to. And I don't want to.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I ran games in the same homebrew with campaigns effecting each other for 20 years (89-09) plus another 7 years of my buddy running games there (in which I played in one for part of that time). But one singular campaign? I can't imagine.

R_J_K75

Legend
I could barely tolerate watching this video for 10 minutes, let alone imagining playing in this game for 40 years. I'd be out the instant he handed me the 400,000 pg 2E re-write of rules, "Nah, sorry, I think I'm good". Don't get me wrong I really like playing D&D/RPGs but this just seems way too extreme, to the point I picture this guys life as work, sleep, D&D; 24/7-365, rinse and repeat.

Remove ads