• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

40 year old man wants to join my game

catsclaw227

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
Fires Progressive Death Metal up on his iTunes. :p

Hey, I am 41 this November and I will still occasionally play Opeth when I am working (as well as Rhapsody of Fire and Kamelot along with my Jethro Tull, Yes and early Genesis.)

As for my gaming group, I am the DM (almost 41 as stated) with players that are 31, 28, 27 and we all met via a D&D Meetup group about 2-3 months ago. I recommend having the "interview" coffee meeting to get a sense of whether the potential new gamer is a fit for the group.

I haven't gamed with anyone that is in their early 20s or teens since I was that age, but I would surely welcome them in my game if they showed an appropriate maturity and fit in well with the other gamers.

I would also like a clarification of the "desperate" comment.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I must be the odd man out then, because I think there is nothing abnormal about a group of late-teen kids not wanting to play D&D with some 40-something year old no matter what he was like.

I'm 36 and it would be a good enough reason for me, if for some reason I wanted to join a gaming group of teen-agers.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Heh, I recently formed a new group, & everyone who replied was signficiantly younger (though all adults) - mostly 19-24, one guy early 30's, & me... um. Nice weather, huh? :p

No one had a weird vibe when we did the 'safety check' at a public cafe (glad to see you did that), so we've started gaming - but I'm still surprised at all of these young punks who answered my gaming ad!

Tewligan

First Post
el-remmen said:
I must be the odd man out then, because I think there is nothing abnormal about a group of late-teen kids not wanting to play D&D with some 40-something year old no matter what he was like.

I'm 36 and it would be a good enough reason for me, if for some reason I wanted to join a gaming group of teen-agers.
I'm glad you said it, El-Remmen - I was afraid to buck the trend first!

When I play D&D, I like to socialize, not JUST play a game, and I'm more likely to have things in common with people who are closer to my own age group (I'm also 36, coincidentally). A large-ish age difference isn't a deal breaker by itself for me, but I can certainly understand wanting to socialize with people that are fairly close to one's own age.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
By the way, I did once co-DM a game for teens when I was in my late 20s, but it was by far not the "regular group," and while I had fun running for them, it felt more like I was helping them out by encouraging their imaginations and giving them something productive and social to do in a town where there was not a lot for kids to do but beg for change, drink beer and huff glue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads