D&D (2024) 48 subclasses in the 2024 PHB: What are they?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
But on the contrary, we have two packets now where they go out of their way to ensure old options still function (old Raves still work, and old Bard, Ranger and Rogue Subclasses, too). I suspect this will only get stringer over time, as they want to keep selling the older books. If they get that to work, that means that basically every 5E books is still filled with usable game material for OneD&D.
Sorry, Raves? What's that? And don't the subclasses get stuff at different levels? Doesn't that cause problems?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Maybe they'll change the way clerics work so that instead of your subclass being a domain, it's something a little more evocative like war priest or avenger or something.
Type of priest is so much better. Leave domain at level 1, but make it much smaller, and your Order is what actually defines you.

Most domains are extremely boring.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry, Raves? What's that? And don't the subclasses get stuff at different levels? Doesn't that cause problems?
Sorry, my autocorrect likes to party, Races. Not really big problems, frankly, which is why the rules here say to just go with it in playtesting. And I suspect that after they nail down the Core Classes they will provide more exact guidance to make them fit (move this feature to this Level, take a Feat here etc.).

doctorbadwolf

But on the contrary, we have two packets now where they go out of their way to ensure old options still function (old Raves still work, and old Bard, Ranger and Rogue Subclasses, too). I suspect this will only get stringer over time, as they want to keep selling the older books. If they get that to work, that means that basically every 5E books is still filled with usable game material for OneD&D.
Yeah at this point I think they’re goal is to have all supplements be fully usable, mix and match, with the 2024 revised PHB.

Ya know, like they said when they announced 1DND.

doctorbadwolf

Also, I don't think Hexblade is necessary for Warlock. Pact of the Blade should be the go to Warrior Warlock and the Hexblade should be folded into the Blade Pact.
I think I’d actually rather see at least one patron tied to the concept of each pact boon.

But as for Pact of the Blade, all that is needed is to make Eldritch Blast a spell attack you make with the attack action and that gains more attacks as you level, and pact of the blade makes it a melee attack and has some rules for gaining weapon properties by binding a specific weapon to your power.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I think I’d actually rather see at least one patron tied to the concept of each pact boon.

But as for Pact of the Blade, all that is needed is to make Eldritch Blast a spell attack you make with the attack action and that gains more attacks as you level, and pact of the blade makes it a melee attack and has some rules for gaining weapon properties by binding a specific weapon to your power.
On the other hand, I feel like the Pact of Chains and Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Talisman are all much more closely aligned concepts for castery magey Warlocks (and similar to the 3e and 4e Binder class as well). Meanwhile, Pact of the Blade almost feels like a different animal. I wonder if they couldn't pull a 3e and make Hexblade an entirely separate class - a true arcane gish - that uses Pact Magic instead of the Spellcasting feature. Then there wouldn't be worries about trying to make room for both melee and castery Warlocks…

doctorbadwolf

I think we will see each iconic subclass, 1-2 new subclasses per class, and 1 high-satisfaction subclass.

Rogue might have Thief and either Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler, and two new archetypes, for instance.

So, Thief, Hunter, Champion, College of Lore, Oath of Devotion, Way of The Open Hand, Circle of The Moon, Path of The Berserker, Fiendish Patron, Draconic Origin, Life Domain, and Evocation Wizard.

Beyond that, I don’t think they’ll put things like Bladesinger or Gloomstalker, that are very popular options in one of the major expansions (Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, the ones coming next year), in the new PHB.

doctorbadwolf

On the other hand, I feel like the Pact of Chains and Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Talisman are all much more closely aligned concepts for castery magey Warlocks (and similar to the 3e and 4e Binder class as well). Meanwhile, Pact of the Blade almost feels like a different animal. I wonder if they couldn't pull a 3e and make Hexblade an entirely separate class - a true arcane gish - that uses Pact Magic instead of the Spellcasting feature. Then there wouldn't be worries about trying to make room for both melee and castery Warlocks…
I’d rather they just streamline melee warlocks as I suggested above, by streamlining EB. Then Invocations can just make you tougher or more agile or whatever, because EB cantrips already improve your Blade Pact weapon attacks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases