• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e and reality

Alex319

First Post
I think that actually the relevant distinction here isn't between "games where the fiction influences action resolution" and "games where it doesn't," since as has been stated pretty much all the games we've been looking at (including both 4e and DitV) have the "fiction influences action resolution" in some way. Even if it doesn't appear that it is, you can always make it that way just by defining the mechanic in question to be part of the fiction. (For instance, in the case of hit points, you can say that biology in the game world works by "vital energy" or whatever, and the amount of vital energy a given being has left can be measured*, and "vital energy" is generated or removed by the same things that add or subtract hit points in the game. Now hit points are part of the fiction.)

The relevant distinction instead seems to be between systems in which the relationship between fiction and action resolution is governed by explicit rules and systems in which the relationship is governed by DM judgement. For example, in 4e, there are explicit rules saying how each fictional element (like terrain, positioning, weapons, etc.) affects action resolution. However, consider FATE, a system where your character is mainly based on "Aspects", which can be any word or phrase you want, and you can get bonuses by invoking your aspects if they are relevant to the situation. Fiction still has an impact on action resolution (because how you describe your action affects which Aspects you can invoke) but that impact is based entirely on DM judgement (because the DM is the one that decides if an Aspect is applicable to the situation.)

* There is actually rules support for this idea. There is a magic item called "Goggles of Aura Sight" (I don't remember which book it is from but it is in the CB) that tells you how many hit points a target has. Presumably, then, the goggles must measure hit points in some way.

Now, each system has advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages of Rule-Based Systems over Judgement-Based Systems:

1a. The mechanical descriptions inherent in rule-based systems can be easier to interpret than the "fictional" descriptions inherent in judgement-based systems. For example, "The giant stands nearly thirty feet tall, has bulky but nearly impenetrable armor, and radiates an energy field which seems to repel magic, although he moves relatively slowly" can be immersive, but "The giant has 310 hit points, has an AC of 34 and Reflex of 26, and gets +4 to defenses against attacks of the arcane power source, and has a speed of 4" is a lot more useful for the players in terms of figuring out tactics and understanding what can affect it.

2a. In some cases, having to think about rules can actually increase immersion. For example, I was in a superhero game once using the HERO System where I was a "gadgeteer", and I had the ability to alter gadgets on demand. This was implemented in game by a "variable power pool" where I could create powers up to a certain number of points. So in the middle of the game I would be figuring out what I could do with the amount of points I had and how to use them to get past the situation I was in, taking into account factors like how much endurance the power used and how long I could sustain it. But of course figuring out things like design limitations and power consumption is part of what real engineers do, so having to do that in the game actually added to the immersion, not subtracted from it.

3a. Prioritizing the rules over the fiction can increase consistency, because everyone can agree on what the rules say but people can have different conceptions on what is "fictionally" justifiable. (Of course, it's possible that the rules themselves are unclear, but in that case it's a problem with the rules that can be fixed. With the judgement-based system, the possibility of different judgements is the core of the system.)

4a. In judgement-based systems, it's easier for one player to feel left out if the "judgements" consistently go the wrong way for them - take the example given before of the rogue who can't use his sneak attack because the DM always says that monsters don't have vital spots or aren't distracted enough. Again, it's true this can also happen in rule-based systems (if, say, in 3.5e a rogue is going through a dungeon full of undead) but it can be especially insidious in judgement-based systems because it's easy to do it unintentionally. For example, if it's easier to find "fictional objections" to fighter powers than to wizard powers, then fighters are going to be disadvantaged compared to wizards.

5a. Having rules may help players understand the fiction. For instance, I've never been in a real-life swordfight (well, I've done boffer fighting, but from what I've heard boffer fighting is not a good approximation of a real swordfight), and I've watched maybe 3-5 movies in my life that involved swordfighting (unless Star Wars counts) so I don't have a good sense of what is possible in a swordfight either realistically or "fictionally." And of course there are some elements of the fiction that are made up specifically for D+D (like some of the magic spells) so there is no way to have any external reference frame as to what is "fictionally" possible. So having the rules helps me understand what is "fictionally" possible.

Advantages of Judgement-Based Systems over Rule-Based Systems:

1b. Some of the disadvantages of judgement-based systems listed above may actually be advantages depending on your style of play. For instance, you may want players to only have vague information about their capabilities and threats and have to figure them out by trial and error, or you may want certain players to be useful in fewer situations.

2b. With rule-based systems, only the specific fictional elements listed in the rules matter. With judgement-based systems, any element that you want matters.

3b. Judgement-based systems can encourage players to be more creative, since in order to gain advantages players have to "impress the GM" in some way.

4b. Judgement-based systems make it so players always have to be thinking about the fiction. In contrast, in rule-based systems you can just focus on the rules and still get a good game. (For instance, consider Magic: The Gathering. A lot of effort goes into creating the fiction for the game and designing mechanics that capture the fiction. For example, there's a creature type called "allies" that each gain benefits when you put another ally onto the field, so if you have allies in your deck you want lots of them, which captures the idea of "creatures that are good at working together." And when talking about tne game and building decks players sometimes take this into account - "the next set is going back to the plane of Mirrodin, so it's probably going to have such-and-such kind of creatures." But during a game itself players rarely think about the fiction at all. In fact I am thinking about writing another post specifically focused on Magic as a case study of the relationship between fiction and mechanics in games.)

---

Now, the key question from a design perspective is how to combine the advantages of both styles while minimizing the disadvantages. Some systems (like 4e) deal with this by having a rule-based core, but then having possible add-ons (like page 42) that you can use to go into the judgement-based mode when the desire arises. The problem with this is that you have to have encouragement to go into the judgement-based mode. For instance in 4e, if players' powers do everything they want to do, then players won't need to use page 42.

Another way to do it is to have a judgement-based system as a core, but have clear guidance on how to do the judgements to minimize the problems associated with the subjectivity. Some possibilities:

1. Limit the amount that is riding on one judgement. For instance, consider the example given before of a DM who rules that a party killed themselves by casting a fireball in a wooden building, causing the building to collaps on them. One way to stop this would be to have a rule that limits the damage from one "judgement," so that the players could get hurt but still have a chance. An example of this would be the damage tables on page 42, where even at the "high limited damage" it's not enough to kill a character in one shot.

2. Define the question that you have to judge the answer to in a way that's less controversial. For instance, a question of the form "How likely is Action X to succeed?" or equivalently "How difficult is Action X to perform?" is going to be answered very differently by different players. However, the question "Is Attribute Y useful to perform Action X?" is a relatively simple yes-or-no question, and the variation in answers will be less. An example of this is FATE's system for aspects, where the only relevant question is "Is the aspect useful?" and if so then the rules do the rest of the work (you can spend a fate point to tag it for a +2 bonus).

3. Allow players to ask questions about how the DM would rule ("If I do X, will that count as a good enough description to activate Power Y?") This seems reasonable because the character would presumably have training, experience, and knowledge that the player doesn't, and this is representing that. You might have some sort of roll involved to represent whether the character knows.

4. Keep track of how often each player is getting boosted or hindered by the fiction. An example is in FATE, where you get "fate points" each time an aspect hinders you or provides an obstacle to the team, while you have to spend a fate point to use your aspect. So if one player seems to have a big hoard of unspent fate points, chances are he is being hindered a lot and not getting much chance to use his aspects. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that "Everyone being equally useful" is an ideal - the player still has to find ways to use his aspects - but it does give you an alert that you might want to look at that player more closely.

Hussar

Legend
Sure. That's when there's dice but no clouds. It's called a boardgame. D&D 4E can be played this way. More power to you.

The problem is P1NBACK, EVERY RPG can be played this way. Lots and lots of groups play this way. Not everyone, true, but, many do. Basically, it amounts to you saying that everyone who doesn't play the way you do is doing it wrong. And I say that because you're claiming that allowing mechanics to direct the role play equates a game with a board game.

To me, I just see that board games and RPG's share an element - mechanics. Any time you have mechanics, the narrative in the game will be determined to a greater or lesser extent BY those mechanics. At no point do you get to trump mechanics with narrative in any RPG where the result of an action is mechanically determined.

Bringing the hamster wheel around, no matter how you narrate it, you cannot say, "I kill the monster" before you roll the dice. Killing the monster is ENTIRELY mechanically dictated in most RPG's. At best you can say, "I try to kill the monster" but, that's pretty much a meaningless statement in the face of mechanics because it speaks to a future event.

"I try to kill the monster" makes about as much difference to the narrative of the game as "I try to climb the wall". Until such time as you actually engage the mechanics, nothing happens in the game. Until you roll the dice, you are staring at the wall, standing at the bottom.

You don't actually do anything until such time as that die stops rolling. THEN you get to narrate what happens. Narrating intent is meaningless. Who cares what you want to happen? What happens is what the dice determine.* After that determination, then the actual narrative of the game moves forward. Otherwise, you're just navel gazing.

* Presuming of course that the action you are intent upon doing is mechanically determined. "I walk across the room" does not engage the mechanics. "I walk across the pitching floor of the ship in the storm" now engages the mechanics, and the narrative is entirely determined by whether or not you succeed in an acrobatics check.

Jhaelen

First Post
That's why it's dead. It's not that it's some arcane language needing a rosetta stone to decipher... it's that no one is a native speaker of it. The study of Latin is purely an academic endevour, and it's uses are restricted to academic or ecclesiastical ones.
Yes, but that is _your_ definition of 'dead'.

Is a language that still continues to evolve and be expanded really dead?

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die." ;)

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
The problem is P1NBACK, EVERY RPG can be played this way.

Not true. We've already established that Dogs, and even 4E skills (outside of challenges) cannot be played this way. They require fiction to adjudicate.

Lots and lots of groups play this way. Not everyone, true, but, many do. Basically, it amounts to you saying that everyone who doesn't play the way you do is doing it wrong.

I never said it was "wrong" - in fact I said, "more power to you". But, I did say it was switching to a boardgame mode. If you think that's "wrong" that's on you.

And I say that because you're claiming that allowing mechanics to direct the role play equates a game with a board game.

No, I'm not. Not at all. Sigh...

I'm saying, if mechanics do not influence the fiction and vice-versa, it's not roleplaying!

If mechanics DO influence the fiction, and vice-versa, it is roleplaying.

So, "allowing mechanics to direct the roleplay" is kind of a redundant statement. That IS roleplaying. No one is arguing against this. In fact, I argued FOR this. It's exactly what happens in Dogs.

What I am arguing for is the inverse - allowing the fiction to influence the mechanics (i.e. allowing someone to push a swarm with forced movement because they described a way that made sense, or not allowing someone to grab a creature because it's entirely outside the realm of possibility...).

By doing this, you have fiction that coincides with the mechanics. In other words, the mechanics are not disassociated.

To me, I just see that board games and RPG's share an element - mechanics. Any time you have mechanics, the narrative in the game will be determined to a greater or lesser extent BY those mechanics. At no point do you get to trump mechanics with narrative in any RPG where the result of an action is mechanically determined.

No. The narrative is determined by US, the roleplayers. Rules can't "make fiction" for you. We make the fiction, the rules help is adjudicate it. If the rules don't do this, we're not playing a roleplaying game.

Bringing the hamster wheel around, no matter how you narrate it, you cannot say, "I kill the monster" before you roll the dice. Killing the monster is ENTIRELY mechanically dictated in most RPG's. At best you can say, "I try to kill the monster" but, that's pretty much a meaningless statement in the face of mechanics because it speaks to a future event.

How is "I try to kill the monster" a future event? No. It's happening right now in the fiction unless someone argues otherwise.

If I say, "I swing my sword at the monster with the intent to kill it..." that is happening right now in the fiction. Right now. The dice determine whether that action, right now, in the moment, is successful.

I swing my sword at the monster!
Ok, your sword goes flying at the monster and it attempts to dodge!
MECHANICS - DICE - RESOLUTION - ATTACK VS AC
Success! Your sword hits the monster, succeeding in your attempt!

I don't understand how this isn't clear to you.

"I try to kill the monster" makes about as much difference to the narrative of the game as "I try to climb the wall". Until such time as you actually engage the mechanics, nothing happens in the game. Until you roll the dice, you are staring at the wall, standing at the bottom.

No. When I say, "I try to climb the wall" it means right now, at this moment, my character is springing to ACTION.

I am starting to climb the wall. The dice don't determine that. The dice determine: Do I make it to the top? Do I fall somewhere in the process? Do I make it up 10 ft and stall?

Unless, we're playing a game where you have to roll dice to take action, such as:

Player: My character climbs the wall!
DM: Well, it's kind of scary! Roll your courage first!
Player: Ok!

Unless you have mechanics that resolve whether you can go through with your intent, then it happens. And, even in that case, as soon as you succeed in your "Courage" roll, you start climbing at that point.

You don't actually do anything until such time as that die stops rolling. THEN you get to narrate what happens. Narrating intent is meaningless. Who cares what you want to happen? What happens is what the dice determine.* After that determination, then the actual narrative of the game moves forward. Otherwise, you're just navel gazing.

Clearly, you and I have different ideals for resolution in roleplaying. Intent is very important in my games. :)

* Presuming of course that the action you are intent upon doing is mechanically determined. "I walk across the room" does not engage the mechanics. "I walk across the pitching floor of the ship in the storm" now engages the mechanics, and the narrative is entirely determined by whether or not you succeed in an acrobatics check.

Why doesn't "I walk across the room" engage the mechanics and "I walk across the pitching floor" does?

It depends on the game and who else at the table says otherwise.

Player: I walk across the room.
DM: No way. The NPC grabs you.
Invoke mechanics.

Player: I walk across the ship!
DM: It's storming and the ship is pitching, but you make it to the cabin!
No mechanics.

Player: I try to stab the kobold in the throat!
DM: Ok. You do! Blood starts spilling out of his throat and he dies. Now, what?
No mechanics.

Player: I try to stab the kobold in the throat!
DM: Ok! Roll for initiative. Then, give me an attack roll.
Invoke mechanics.

Obviously, you're the one who is making judgments about other people's playstyle and we're totally on different pages about how RPGs should work and what impact the mechanics role in the game is.

Not true. We've already established that Dogs, and even 4E skills (outside of challenges) cannot be played this way. They require fiction to adjudicate.

And as I have stated repeatedly, the total fiction required is {Words, Fist, Weapon, Gun}. Nothing else is required. And for all Vincent Baker's claims that you need the fiction to be able to know the fallout dice, all the fiction you need for that is {Words, Fist, Weapon, Gun}. You can also decide to bring in another collection of dice and you can decide to raise. At no other point does the fiction even touch the mechanics.

If that's the depth of your fiction in RPG, I am sorry. (I really doubt that it is based on what you've stated elsewhere). For the record, your reasoning appears to be similar to Vincent Baker's - superb at evocation, second rate at direct logical and mathematical analysis.

I'm saying, if mechanics do not influence the fiction and vice-versa, it's not roleplaying!

And as I have stated repeatedly if you are playing monopoly and weaving a story round it the mechanics influence the fiction. It is impossible to have a game where the mechanics do not influence the fiction unless you either discard fiction entirely or rapidly zoom off into Ministry of Truth territory.

As for vise-versa. {Words, Fist, Weapon, Gun}. Really deep influence you have there. That and when you raise. The rest is mechanically irrelevant. It is, however, excellent for evoking feelings, tension, and tone.

If mechanics DO influence the fiction, and vice-versa, it is roleplaying.

OK.

So, "allowing mechanics to direct the roleplay" is kind of a redundant statement. That IS roleplaying. No one is arguing against this. In fact, I argued FOR this. It's exactly what happens in Dogs.

And in every other game if you have any sort of story round it. Including Monopoly the RPG.

What I am arguing for is the inverse - allowing the fiction to influence the mechanics (i.e. allowing someone to push a swarm with forced movement because they described a way that made sense, or not allowing someone to grab a creature

You're either arguing to ignore the mechanics (just use the power straight, with no drawback) or for a DM call because you are doing something only covered by extension.

because it's entirely outside the realm of possibility...).

In a magical universe claiming this just demonstrates a lack of imagination.

By doing this, you have fiction that coincides with the mechanics. In other words, the mechanics are not disassociated.

So {Words, Fists, Weapon, Gun}, Raise makes a game not disassociated. Fascinating definition you have there.

No. The narrative is determined by US, the roleplayers. Rules can't "make fiction" for you. We make the fiction, the rules help is adjudicate it. If the rules don't do this, we're not playing a roleplaying game.

Or are playing freeform...

LostSoul

Adventurer
Re: Dogs. If you say {Gun}, I still don't know what Fallout to roll. "I am rolling d4 because you were talking about gun control."

And as I have stated repeatedly if you are playing monopoly and weaving a story round it the mechanics influence the fiction. It is impossible to have a game where the mechanics do not influence the fiction unless you either discard fiction entirely or rapidly zoom off into Ministry of Truth territory.

It's impossible for the fiction to influence the mechanics in Monopoly.

Re: Dogs. If you say {Gun}, I still don't know what Fallout to roll. "I am rolling d4 because you were talking about gun control."

Was that an accidental or a deliberate misunderstanding? If you are talking about gun control then what you are declaring is words. What you are declaring out of {words, fists, weapons, gun} is all that matters for fallout. The sum total of information needed for fallout can be boiled down to one of those four words without loss of mechanical information. This is not the same as saying "I am talking about holding a gun in my fist and using it as a club" in which you have words, a gun used as a generic weapon, and a fist - but it's only words that matter.

It's impossible for the fiction to influence the mechanics in Monopoly.

Except in how you decide whether to buy or auction, how much to bid, and your building pattern. Oh, and what to mortgage and what to trade. What's impossible is for the fiction to directly influence the mechanics except through the medium of player decision. (The equivalents in DiTV would be what dice to reply with, and whether to raise - the only case where the fiction comes close to directly influencing the mechanics are which dice pools can be brought into play - and even then it's mostly the relationship pools as stats are largely determined and if you can't bring items into play under most circumstances you aren't trying).

LostSoul

Adventurer
edit: Re: Dogs. {words, fists, weapons, gun} doesn't work; "I talk/punch/stab/shoot" does. Then you need to say who you talk to, punch, stab, or shoot, because we need to know who is making the See.

Except in how you decide whether to buy or auction, how much to bid, and your building pattern. Oh, and what to mortgage and what to trade. What's impossible is for the fiction to directly influence the mechanics except through the medium of player decision.

You don't get extra money on Boardwalk because it's a nice, warm summer, or because prohibition came into effect and you're selling illegal booze.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
You don't get extra money on Boardwalk because it's a nice, warm summer, or because prohibition came into effect and you're selling illegal booze.

That's because the game handles such things as bank-errors and your ability to do well in beauty contests through the mechanics of Chance and Community chest.

It's not a terribly simulationist game, it just handles random events in a more general way.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
That's because the game handles such things as bank-errors and your ability to do well in beauty contests through the mechanics of Chance and Community chest.

It's not a terribly simulationist game, it just handles random events in a more general way.

Really...?

Are you being facetious?

Yes.

You gotta be.

I get it. :)

Good joke.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads