D&D 4E 4E combat and powers: How to keep the baby and not the bathwater?

Hussar

Legend
El Lord said:
My point about marking, and the examples I used to illustrate it, was that you can't have a "purely metagame" mechanic that affects absolutely nothing in the game world that then explicitly informs the target of the ability what happened to it the way marking does. Purely metagame abilities should stay purely metagame--no giving or using OOC knowledge in game--and any abilities that are not metagame abilities should have some discernable cause in game.

Your point about marking is showing bad play and nothing more. The player (or more likely the DM controlling the Bob character) is utilizing meta-game knowledge to make in game decisions. My point is that you don't have to do this. There are people out there that are perfectly capable of keeping those things separate.

You've said that all effects must have an in game rationale. But, why? Bob not going through the door because of something his player knows is just poor role play. No amount of rules is going to make Bob a good role player.

Me, I'd rather trust that the players are mature enough to be able to keep things like this separate in their head and get on with the game.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
I understand that you are insisting that things must be thus and so. But you are not providing a reason which strike me as salient outside one approach to play (namely, one which (i) strongly emphasises process simulation of the fiction over the results in the fiction, and (ii) strongly disapproves of any overt metagame agenda being brought to bear upon play. Whereas I don't especially value (i) - I can enjoy RPGs that make a point of it (like RM or RQ), but have no special commitment to them. And I don't value (ii) at all.

You are making all sorts of assumptions here about RPGing which not all of us share.

For example, I don't want or expect my players not to use OOC knowledge in game. I want them to use that knowledge in game - for example, to make choices because everyone at the table knows it will be exciting, even if the PCs don't (or would prefer to live peaceful rather than exciting lives).

When it comes to GMing, most of my decision-making is metagame-driven. My whole goal as GM is to set up enaging situations in the fiction which the players will enjoy engaging, and which will produce a fiction that is aesthetically satisfying for them and for me.

So, as [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] said above, it doesn't especially matter to me whether it is the monster, or just me as GM, who knows that attacks against targets other than the fighter are penalised. The point is that, knowing they are so penalised, I as GM will (at least from time to time) make decisions that take that into account. Which produces a result that the fighter is attacked perhaps more than otherwise he would be. Which produces a fiction in which the heroic fighter stands at the centre of the martial action. Which seems, to me at least, the right sort of fiction for a game of heroic fantasy to produce.

Perhaps taking a different tack would help explain my point of view better.

RPGs benefit sometimes from having the players act on metagame knowledge. Existing PCs welcome a new PC into the party because a new player has joined the playgroup. PCs decide not to go to a certain area because the DM hasn't mapped it out. DMs contrive to make encounters always level-appropriate because they know that those make for more fun combat. Acting on metagame information can also be detrimental to RPGs. PCs are suddenly more cautious for no reason because the players failed some Listen checks. A PC paladin smites a PC rogue for stealing from him despite there being no way the paladin could have discovered this. A DM makes NPCs that are exact counters for PC abilities despite the fact that the BBEG doesn't know all of their capabilities because he's trying to pull a "knock them out and capture them" scenario or the like.

The former cases are praised, while the latter cases are scorned. Why is that? It's because when the fiction and the metagame mesh, the story tends to come out well and is aesthetically satisfying, as you said, whereas when they contradict, it doesn't make much sense and pulls people out of the story. If the heroic fighter issues a challenge to all comers and vanquishes the dozens of orcs that come out to kill him, that's immersive; if the dozens of orcs attack him instead of the wizard or rogue because he's the fighter and he has more HP and AC than anyone else, that's not very immersive. That doesn't produce a narrative that you or I want to see.

The big difference between "good metagaming" and "bad metagaming" is that good metagaming can be (and usually is) justified in-game, however tenuously, while bad metagaming can't be or isn't; to use the above examples, "We badly needed a mage; thank the gods you're here, fellow adventurer!" and "No one has information on those mountains; it's probably not safe to go there until we check it out more" and "The goblin army is divided into squads of 20; it'll be tough, but we should be able to take them!" are things that add constructively to the narrative, while "Gee, the entire party suddenly have a funny feeling about something..." and "Yes, I'm a paragon of goodness, but I'll attack you just because you look...thief-y" and "So, apparently they have a counter for the super-secret spell I researched under tons of wards of secrecy; imagine that!" are things that are bad for the narrative.

If you take the primary feature of the fighter, the feature that's supposed to make him the rough-and-tough hero instead of the guy the monsters ignore on their way to gank the mage, and you make it a metagame thing and don't even bother paying lip service to the in-game rationale, that's bad metagaming.

It's fine to have marking be a purely in-game things. It's fine for it to be an in-game thing some of the time, and some of the time have it be an out-of-game thing because them's the rules, what are you gonna do? But to advocate that it doesn't matter what (if anything) marking means in game because you can just treat it as a metagame thing means that you're hurting the narrative.

Your point about marking is showing bad play and nothing more. The player (or more likely the DM controlling the Bob character) is utilizing meta-game knowledge to make in game decisions. My point is that you don't have to do this. There are people out there that are perfectly capable of keeping those things separate.

If you think that utilizing metagame knowledge to make in-game decisions is bad playing, why did you advocate treating marks as purely metagame mechanics that force characters to use metagame knowledge to make in-game decisions? That's exactly what I've been arguing against.

pemerton

Legend
Perhaps taking a different tack would help explain my point of view better.
I'm fairly sure I understand your point of view. I just don't share it - or, rather, I see it as one viable way to play some RPGs, but not the only way. And not the way that I happen to be running my current, 4e, game.

RPGs benefit sometimes from having the players act on metagame knowledge.

<snip uncontentious examples>

Acting on metagame information can also be detrimental to RPGs. PCs are suddenly more cautious for no reason because the players failed some Listen checks.

<snip>

The former cases are praised, while the latter cases are scorned.
Here's where we part ways. The latter cases are not always scorned.

First, your example is ambiguous, between the PCs or the players becoming more cautious. In some games, there is no easy way to distinguish this - if the PCs are already fully bedecked with their armour and weapons, for example, and there are no buffs they can utilise, and the game has passive Perception mechanics, than there may be no mechanical, ingame way whereby the PCs can be more cautious. But if the players fail some Perception checks, and as a result start playing more cautiously - paying more attention to my descriptions, trying harder to puzzle out what excatly is going on, thinking harder about where some important thing or person might be hidden, etc - then I'm not necessarily going to scorn that at all! That might be part of the point in getting them to roll a Perception check in the first place.

And, when it is the GM who is playing an NPC/monster in a certain way based on metagame considerations (and that is what we are talking about in the context of fighters' marking ability), there is even less reason, in my view, to regard it as scorn-worthy.

when the fiction and the metagame mesh, the story tends to come out well and is aesthetically satisfying, as you said, whereas when they contradict, it doesn't make much sense and pulls people out of the story.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by fiction and metagame "contradictin" - but I just don't regard it as true that metagame-driven fiction is necessarily unsatisfying.

When my players pull a "disguise ourselves magically and make the dwarf fighter, who has zero chance of pulling off a Bluff check, be the "prisoner" we are taking to the BBEG", the metagame allusion to Star Wars is obvious. But that doesn't pull us out of the story. It's part of the (corny) charm.

When the imp who pestered the party 3 levels ago suddenly turns up again as the familiar of a new NPC cleric enemy, in the course of the biggest battle the party has fought to date - defending a village against a squad of a dozen hobgoblins with a behemoth, plus bugbear "special forces", plus tiefling spellcasters, etc - the contrivance is, at a certain level, obvious. The fight is a "big thing", and the surpise attack from the invisible imp just adds to its "bigness". But, at least for my group, it doesn't pull them out of the story. It reinforces the story.

And then occasionally you get surprises. When they went hunting for the missing niece of the baron, whom they knew to be the fiance of a Vecna worshipper they'd killed, and after tracking her to an old necromancer's tower, I was sure that they would expect her to be at the top of the tower trying to revive a trapped vampire. But when they got to the top, and found the niece as the key villain, they were genuinely surprised - they had been expecting to rescue her from necromancers. So sometimes the metagame contrivance, rather than producing an "of course" response, can catch them by surprise.

But these are all metagame contrivances. Admittedly these examples pertain more to encounter design than action resolution, but I think the considerations are much the same.

If the heroic fighter issues a challenge to all comers and vanquishes the dozens of orcs that come out to kill him, that's immersive; if the dozens of orcs attack him instead of the wizard or rogue because he's the fighter and he has more HP and AC than anyone else, that's not very immersive. That doesn't produce a narrative that you or I want to see.
Well, speak for yourself! The point of marking mechanics - as I noted above - is to produce a fiction in which the fighter is at the centre of the action. And I have no trouble becoming absorbed by that fiction.

PC romance provides a different example. NPCs don't fall in love with PCs through any emotional process - as Hussar said, they are just constructs. NPCs fall in love with PCs because the players at the table decide that that is a satisfying way for the fiction to unfold. It's metagame-led fiction, but not, therefore, inherently unsatisfying.

The big difference between "good metagaming" and "bad metagaming" is that good metagaming can be (and usually is) justified in-game

<snip>

Yes, I'm a paragon of goodness, but I'll attack you just because you look...thief-y" and "So, apparently they have a counter for the super-secret spell I researched under tons of wards of secrecy; imagine that!" are things that are bad for the narrative.
The reason the things you describe as bad are bad - to the extent that they are - is, in my view, because they make for crappy play. The metagaming is neither here nor there.

If you take the primary feature of the fighter, the feature that's supposed to make him the rough-and-tough hero instead of the guy the monsters ignore on their way to gank the mage, and you make it a metagame thing and don't even bother paying lip service to the in-game rationale, that's bad metagaming.
At the risk of repeating myself, I disagree.

Here's another example from 4e. Paladins have a power called Valiant Strike. It gives a +1 to hit per adjacent foe. Why is it called Valiant Strike? Because it makes it more likely that the paladin (in order to get the bonus) will hurl him/herself into groups of foes. The power, due to its metagame consequences, will bring it about that the paladin is played as valiant.

I think that's clever game design. You may well disagree - and fair enough, not everyone like metagame-heavy mechanics - but to say that it is bad metagaming is just to beg the question in favour of your preferences and against mine.

It's fine to have marking be a purely in-game things. It's fine for it to be an in-game thing some of the time, and some of the time have it be an out-of-game thing because them's the rules, what are you gonna do? But to advocate that it doesn't matter what (if anything) marking means in game because you can just treat it as a metagame thing means that you're hurting the narrative.
As I said in my previous post, I have many actual play threads on these boards. I'm curious to learn where my casualness about the metagame operation of marking is hurting the narrative! I haven't noticed it.

pemerton

Legend
My DMs try to keep the players IC when discussing tactics AND cut them off if they are going beyond a reasonable "free action" to discuss them.
I vary my approach to this, mostly going on the mood of the table, the stakes, pacing considerations etc.

So recently, when the PCs were trying to bluff there way passed some guards in magical disguise, but were having trouble explaining why they couldn't provide the password, two players more-or-less simultaneously declared actions - the fighter, who was a Chewbacca-style "prisoner" within the context of the deception, that he would "break free" and charge one of the guards; the wizard, that he would use his Charm of the Dark Dream to take possesion of one of the guards and thereby read his mind to learn the password.

Both of these sounded pretty cool to me, and so I had them roll initiative and resolve their actions in the approrpiate order, without more faffing around or debate at the table.

But in another recent session, when the PCs were fighting 4 mooncalves, had only 3 healing surges left between them, no daily powers, 1 action point and only 13 hit points left on the cleric-ranger, I let them collectively strategise as much as they wanted to. There was no way they were going to win that fight without collectively eking out every last erg of capability and synergy.

Different approaches for different stakes, different situations, different moods. I see this as part of my role, as GM, to try and "manage" or oversee play in the interests of everyone getting the most out of the game.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Why is that? It's because when the fiction and the metagame mesh, the story tends to come out well and is aesthetically satisfying, as you said, whereas when they contradict, it doesn't make much sense and pulls people out of the story.

Nah. Since you (i.e. the group) can come up with whatever fiction you want it's not hard to make it mesh.

The thing that "pulls people out of the story" is how the game asks them to make decisions.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Just as a point - you are using "simulation" to mean "simulating reality - as in our real world reality". This is not actually what simulation means. Action Movie simulation would allow for you to knock a gelatenous cube prone, and would still be simulationist.

Sorry, just a bit of pedantry there.
Simulationism means both of those things by Ron Edwards' usage. I've never been really involved with Forge discourse but I believe you clarify which one you mean by using prefixes like "high concept" simulationism or "purist for system" simulationism. I think it's reasonable to just use simulationism by itself for reality-based simulationism. I have seen "emulationism" used for genre trope simulationism.

I would disagree regardless that knocking a gelatinous cube prone would function as action movie genre simulationism. That doesn't make me think action movie at all. I don't think I could feel it on any simulationist level.

Actually there's one thing I can imagine. Maybe like enjoying how "clean" the 4e combat system is from contextual fictional considerations. The system stays perfectly balanced no matter what. That would be like purist for system maybe. Lo! behold the timeless beauty of "the math". (?)

Remove ads