• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] Combat Tracker Utility

Mercule

Adventurer
Personally, I'm coming at it from the other side. I'm a professional business-logic developer, mostly, and am now starting to pick up stuff on the interface side of the fence.
Well, then, return question: Know any good books/sites for WCF? Somehow, liking to play with new UI tech got me moved to the new SOA team and I'd never done even an asmx before. I'm learning, but it's trial by fire and I'm expected to be the "go to" guy for this stuff.

As far as the mapping side of things, my group uses a 1 1/4" square grid printed on a poster-size piece of paper (about $10 at Kinko's). We then got a big sheet of 1/8" thick plexiglass from Home Depot (cost about $30), and we use dry erase markers on it over the grid. It works beautifully. I can usually sketch out a map in under a minute or two, and the marks come off with a basic whiteboard eraser.
I have some Tac-Tiles, which are awesome. It takes too darn long to draw the maps. I have a poster-sized tablet of inch grid paper that I'm going to try to draw on in advance of next game. We'll see how it goes.

Mortaneus

First Post
A new version is up!

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.3.3
(URL disabled, see below for new version)

Changes:
  • PCs will no longer drop to the 'Inactive' category, so that proper death save timing will be obvious.
  • Fixed a crashing problem due to the new 'save notes' code.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Here's a question about the app: Is there a way to persist PC data (hp, specifically) between encounters? When the fighter is only down 3 hp, she doesn't usually blow a healing surge.

Mortaneus

First Post
Here's a question about the app: Is there a way to persist PC data (hp, specifically) between encounters? When the fighter is only down 3 hp, she doesn't usually blow a healing surge.

That one is tricky...it would basically involve reworking the 'Reserve' status quite a bit.

I had someone ask me for the same thing over on RPGnet. I'm going to have to think on it.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Mortaneus

First Post
A new version is up!

DnD4e Combat Manager v1.4
(URL disabled, new version below)

New changes:
  • Added automated saving throws (will prompt)
  • Added automated power recharge (will prompt)
  • Modified minimum window size to accommodate smaller desktop widths

Last edited:

Erywin

First Post
Awesome. I game this Sunday and really looking to finally trying this out during a game! I will update you with how things go. Thanks for all the hard work and promptness of updates!

Cheers,
E

mac1504

Explorer
I also wanted to add that I am going to be running a game this Friday, and plan on using this utility. Thanks for what seems to be an easy to use combat tracker- I love the ability to copy and paste in monsters from the builder. However, I too would like to see it being able to keep track of healing surges, action points and hit points past the individual encounter.

I will post back after Friday on how my experience with it went.

Erywin

First Post
Ok had the first chance last night to really try this out in a fight! I have to say that it saved me ALOT of time as a DM running multiple badguys. I was able to keep track of initiative and abilities very easily, I could spend more time describing the fight than worrying about what abilities I could use next! This is a DM's treasure trove of awesomeness! Thanks for all the hard work and I can't wait to see what you have in the works for it.

Cheers,
E

Mortaneus

First Post
I finally got a chance to get back to this, and a new version is up!

DnD4e Combat Manager Page

Changes:
  • Added dropdown on Effect screen with pre-loaded effect names
  • Effects with the name 'Marked' are now unique per target. Adding a new one will overlay a prexisting one.
  • Inactive combatants will no longer prompt to recharge powers
  • Reworked the Rich Text import logic for more accurate checking of what it is reading. For example, the Skeleton power Speed of the Dead will no longer get eaten by the Speed line.
  • Fixed a few problems with the updating logic for the power list on the individual statblock window.
  • Bloody condition will now show on equal to or less than Bloody value, rather than less than.

Last edited:

Remove ads