D&D (2024) 4e design in 5.5e ?

Because spell slots (not so much hitpoints) are the pacing mechanism in pretty much every other edition of D&D. When the casters can't cast, you stop. When the cleric can no longer cast spells to heal you, you stop. It's not so much hitpoints (unless you're playing with no casters, which is uncommon) as slots.
Maybe at your table. You stop if you can. If you can't, you go on.
As I said, I like the game of attrition in my game. Resetting at will is no fun for me.
It is like having your cake and eat it. Conserving your power and optimizing the usage of spells is fun in itself.

I am obviously exaggerating to make the point, but the point remains. If the difficulty (or lack thereof) begins to warp the standard narrative, that’s a reasonable point where we can argue the difficulty is a true issue
I have never had problems with 5e difficulty... only with the default rest mechanics.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Whatever...
You attempted to read my mind and were wrong. You somehow concluded that I "needed" rules to talk to monsters. That wasn't my point. My point was that the default assumptions of 5E is kill everything, as evidenced by the fact that the rules didn't include parleying with monsters until 6 years into the game. Whereas the possibility of a non-combat encounter with monsters was core in earlier editions.

You attempted to read my mind and were wrong. You somehow concluded that I "needed" rules to talk to monsters. That wasn't my point. My point was that the default assumptions of 5E is kill everything, as evidenced by the fact that the rules didn't include parleying with monsters until 6 years into the game. Whereas the possibility of a non-combat encounter with monsters was core in earlier editions.
Ah.
And how did you conclude that MY mindset is only set on fighting against monsters?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
And how did you conclude that MY mindset is only set on fighting against monsters?
Because your comment was: "Speaking about easy or hard in a game where the DM can chose any enemy they like is pointless."

The game isn't only about fighting monsters. How easy or hard the game is isn't only about the DM being able to pick enemies. That you think it is suggests that you define the game as "killing monsters".

Because your comment was: "Speaking about easy or hard in a game where the DM can chose any enemy they like is pointless."

The game isn't only about fighting monsters. How easy or hard the game is isn't only about the DM being able to pick enemies. That you think it is suggests that you define the game as "killing monsters".
Ok... then you misunderstood me...
that was what I was thinking of you, because you speak about a "too easy game"...
so please explain to me, what do you mean with "too easy" if you don't talk about fighting monsters?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Maybe at your table. You stop if you can. If you can't, you go on.
As I said, I like the game of attrition in my game. Resetting at will is no fun for me.
It is like having your cake and eat it. Conserving your power and optimizing the usage of spells is fun in itself.
You're, of course, free to ignore the pacing mechanisms in the game, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. What you do at your table is entirely up to you, but that's the choice you're making. You can't then back your choice up into the system and complain that it doesn't work how you do it because you're doing it differently. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not at all telling you that how you're playing is in any way wrong -- if you're having fun it's right for you.

Remove ads