D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Lord Xtheth

First Post
So Drizzt is the face of Forgotten Realms eh?

The art is pretty good, I mean I'm pretty sure Wizards COULD have afforded Boris Vallejo, but this is decent enough.

Ultimately it's the content that matters right? RIGHT?

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
In a romantic pose.

Seriously, I've calmed down. I actually like Drizzt, I just don't like them encouraging his clones.
On a side note, the City of Heroes MMORPG just released "Dual Blades" as a power set. I've lost count of how many *Ahem*(Copywright skirting)*ahem* Black skinned people with 2 scimitars I've seen running arround.

Blacklaef, NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me that if you're reducing NPC overload in the FRCS that putting Drizzle on the cover of the book is going to turn off much of the fan base you are trying to appease by nerfing NPCs. Just saying.

What's wrong with a good landscape? The cover of Grand History of the Realms managed to include Drizzt without making the character the sole centerpiece of the cover.

And I think the cover of the Character Record Sheets deserves to be the cover on the PHB.

Stormtalon

First Post
Nebulous said:
Hmm. Now that you mention it, maybe that's what sticks in my craw. I still would have liked it better if it had Drizzt DOING something, like slamming a scimitar through....

....Elminster. There. We'd have both of 'em on the cover AND everyone would be happy, yes?

:p

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
And I think the cover of the Character Record Sheets deserves to be the cover on the PHB.

Agreed. So far the only cover I absolutely hate is the PHB. The CRS cover just reminds me of the Erol Otis cover on the B/X Basic set and really captures the spirit of D&D. The FR cover doesn't bother me that much and it could have been a LOT worse. I just hope the change the PHB cover but I doubt they will.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
DaveMage said:
I think they should have had Driz'zt and Elminster both on the cover.
Elminster and Drizzle killing each other on the cover would be better ;)

I shall restrain my elf-hate. The art itself is high quality, nothing wrong with an iconic character on the cover that's a good idea. But it should be more than just a static pose against fuzzed out backdrop. He needs to either be taking some sort of action or have some important and recognizable place as a background.

What belongs on the cover is something along the lines of the epic fight scenes put on the covers of many Driz'zt novels. Those at least have life and intensity, or a WR piece like those 2 page spreads in the Eberron books. Reduce the size of the white borders and wrap the scene around the cover from front to back. Put the 4e D&D logo top center, a smaller but still noticeable FR logo on the right corner in the bottom margin.

Uzzy

First Post
Alright, I did find something say after my initial annoyance.

The FR team have continually said that they wanted PC's, not NPC's to be the stars, and that they didn't want people to be bogged down with masses of history. So they put Drizzt on the front cover. He's almost as old as the Realms itself (at least as a published campaign setting) so he does have quite a bit of history to get through! Furthermore, he's not representative of the setting as a whole. Drow on the surface are meant to be rare, and Goodly ones more so.

Why not put on some new characters, fighting off some Zhents? That would be nice.

marune

First Post
Drizzt is not hated for the same reasons as the Chosens/other High-Level Magic-User of the realms.

In fact, few people hate Drizzt directly, but his damn clones created by "young" players.

Remove ads