D&D 4E 4E FRCS Cover: NOOOOOOOOOO!

JPL

Adventurer
The Ubbergeek said:
I like that post. QFT.

Thanks.

Seriously, the way he's been statted most recently, Drizzt is just a moderately underequipped, suboptimally built high level (upper teens) character with some good ability scores. Many PCs will have heard rumors of him, few will have met him, and he has better things to do than follow the PCs around making them feel bad about themselves. Get out there and have some adventures of your own. The Realms are vast and perilous and heroes are in short supply.

For that matter...even these high level wizard NPCs like Elminster are ultimately just examples of epic level characters...something the PCs can aspire to become. And they are GOOD examples of epic level characters, because they are not just wandering around like 10th level characters with larger fireballs killing bigger orcs for better pie. They are the movers and shakers. They are the center of attention. They are big targets. They have their own agendas. They have complicated alliances and enemies with a long shared history. They deal with problems that 10th level characters never even HEAR about.

Last edited:

Ty

First Post
As a grognard, my opinion is that the new FR Campaign Setting cover art (and all other cover art for that matter) should include the following:

Gratuitously well-endowed women running around in nothing but chain-mail bikinis together with a large human fighter clad in full plate and a geeky wizard in a pointy hat. ;)

This should help meet the stated needs of getting back to core D&D and serving to inspire a new audience of young males to take up the D&D hobby.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Ty said:
As a grognard, my opinion is that the new FR Campaign Setting cover art (and all other cover art for that matter) should include the following:

Gratuitously well-endowed women running around in nothing but chain-mail bikinis together with a large human fighter clad in full plate and a geeky wizard in a pointy hat. ;)

This should help meet the stated needs of getting back to core D&D and serving to inspire a new audience of young males to take up the D&D hobby.
That's not funny. It's just sad and embarrassing.

Add my name to those who won't be buying this. Of course, I don't use Forgotten Realms, never have.

I actually quite like the cover, if it's what they end up going with. And, I don't judge books by their covers.

Voss

First Post
Kaodi said:
I think that the piece itself is decent, and I do not dislike Drizz't, but I do not think they are being very consistent with their direction. As we have seen, the big complaint with the Forgotten Realms is the prominence of high level NPCs. So, they sought to address this problem in the 4e conception of the setting. Yet, they play Drizz't on the cover. I am not going to say that they dropped the ball, but I think they could of done better not to be sending a mixed message.

I agree. This was one of the few changes they were supposedly making to appease the audience that didn't like the focus on high level characters. While they did say they weren't going to drop Drizzt, putting one of the posterboys of the very problem they said they were going to address on the cover of the book sends a fairly poor message.

Remove ads