• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E is like WoW (NOT!)

Jack99

Adventurer
Zelster said:
Lies! We all know that you lost your mana-cherry back in 6th grade, when Richard Garfield unleashed his destructive tide of nerdcore upon the USA!

Except I am not in the US? :)

In my country, the geek pecking order put Magic players below DND players, so when I was a kid, I used to beat up Magic players...

:lol:

Just kidding of course... almost

GoLu

First Post
AllisterH said:
You know what's actually funny?

THe way a round is run and how monsters are designed, that's PURE M:TG. After 8 years after acquiring it, WOTC is turning D&D into Magic:The Gathering.

Is this the whole 'phase 1: ongoing effects; phase 2: actions; phase 3: saves' thing? Early D&D had that too, since it worked like a miniatures game and those sorts of games love their phases.

In the Rules Cyclopedia, each round went:
A: Initiative
B1: Morale
B2: Movement
B3: Ranged attacks
B4: Spellcasting
B5: Melee combat
C1-C5: Same as B, but for the slower team
D: Special results declared

This is not to say that Magic isn't a more immediate influence on the designers, and the 4e phases do feel a little more like upkeep, main phase, and... er... opponent's upkeep? Sort of.

Pale

First Post
AllisterH said:
But IT PLAYS NOTHING like WoW. That's my point and I stand behind it.

You can keep saying that, but most of the people pointing out the similarities never said that the two play the same. This is actually the first time I've seen that argument, to tell you the truth.

It's as if I said "D&D and Yahtzee both use d6s."
And you reply "You idiot! D&D and Yahtzee don't play the same!"

psionotic

Hairfoot said:
I agree. It plays like Diablo.

If by, "plays like Diablo" you mean 'plays nothing like Diablo,' absolutely correct.

Diablo* was a repetitive finger-mashing game, in which you did the same boring attack over and over, kinda like older versions of D&D... This was especially true for martial types of course, but was not entirely limited to them.

*That's not to say that it wasn't fun in its own way, but it required little from the player.

krystian

First Post
The new rules like 'second wind' and 'at will powers' stink of WoW. Also the special 'racial' powers and resting periods too. For me it is one thing making me uncertain about this edition. Sure it balances the game out to have its own special flare for each race and class. It just seems WotC trying hard to compete with MMORPG's (I dont blame them). I sure hope the magic items and what else I havent read in these 'leaks' dont resemble WoW.

One thing MMO's cannot take away - is the human social interaction element. Just please for the love of baby Jes... AO dont turn this into World of D&D Craft. Hopefully tho it will have that wonderous new game feel that 3ed had.

Jack99

Adventurer
krystian said:
The new rules like 'second wind' and 'at will powers' stink of WoW.

You never played WoW, am I right?

In case I am wrong, could you point me to the ability in WoW that is even remotely like second wind? Because, I guess despite playing WoW for thousands of hours, I must have missed it.

The Little Raven

First Post
krystian said:
The new rules like 'second wind' and 'at will powers' stink of WoW.

Except there's no Second Wind (or anything remotely similar), nor are there at-will powers. But then again, I'm not surprised by people making claims about a game they seem to know nothing about.

Also the special 'racial' powers and resting periods too.

Oh, you mean like "elf is a class" or "drow get all kind of special abilities" and "wizards and clerics have to rest for 8 hours before being able to prepare spells again." Do you even know anything about D&D's history?

Gargazon

First Post
krystian said:
The new rules like 'second wind' and 'at will powers' stink of WoW. Also the special 'racial' powers and resting periods too. For me it is one thing making me uncertain about this edition. Sure it balances the game out to have its own special flare for each race and class. It just seems WotC trying hard to compete with MMORPG's (I dont blame them). I sure hope the magic items and what else I havent read in these 'leaks' dont resemble WoW.

Resting periods? In WoW? Y'mean when I went offline to sleep, or the five minutes I spent between fights to regain mana and health, because I have used my RESOURCE-DEPENDANT (i.e. NOT at-will) spells and cannot self-heal at all in combat. Y'know, like Second Wind would allow.

I would also love to see how, say, a D&D magic sword could ever be confused with a WoW magic sword (one gives a +X to attack rolls, the other gives +X to certain ability scores). For such a thing to happen probably breaks most of the design goals of 4th Edition.

It's people like you who make this topic necessary :\

I also realise being the third guy to beat on you is unneccesary, but I feel the need to vent :p

Hussar

Legend
Pale said:
You can keep saying that, but most of the people pointing out the similarities never said that the two play the same. This is actually the first time I've seen that argument, to tell you the truth.

It's as if I said "D&D and Yahtzee both use d6s."
And you reply "You idiot! D&D and Yahtzee don't play the same!"

But, that's the point isn't it? They really DON'T play the same. No one would ever confuse the two in any way, shape or form. Same way as no one would confuse a game of WEG Star Wars for Yahtzee either, despite using the same dice.

And that's the OP's idea, AFAICT. Yes, some concepts are similar between the two. Of course they are. Both systems are trying to do similar things. Both systems are trying to present a method for task resolution in similar settings - combat, etc. So, of course they are going to have similarities.

There's similarities between a Nissan Micra and Bugatti Veyron, but, I'd bet dollars to donuts that no one would say one drives like the other, despite the fact that, at the base, they're identical - 4 wheels, internal combustion engine, doors, seats etc.

Video games and TRPG's are attempting to perform similar tasks, thus it's only natural that they would share various elements.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Jack99 said:
You never played WoW, am I right?

In case I am wrong, could you point me to the ability in WoW that is even remotely like second wind? Because, I guess despite playing WoW for thousands of hours, I must have missed it.

They have a warrior talent in WoW called "Second Wind" that triggers a regeneration in hps and rage whenever you are stunned.

Not exactly the same thing as an at-will healing power however.

Remove ads