• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E is like WoW (NOT!)

Jack99

Adventurer
Leatherhead said:
They have a warrior talent in WoW called "Second Wind" that triggers a regeneration in hps and rage whenever you are stunned.

Not exactly the same thing as an at-will healing power however.

Like not at all. But yeah, the same is similar.. o_O. But then we are back to silly comparisons, like DND being like Highlander, because they both have swords that chop off people's heads.

How can you compare an activate healing (second wind) with an (non-activated) ability that grants you increased healing when you are stunned.

The correct answer is: You can not.

Ergo the guy I quoted was way out on left field.

Sometimes I wonder why people post statements like these. Do they truly (and thus falsely) believe 4e feels like WoW, or are they just 4e/WoTC haters that are out to dis 4e as much as possible, because they would have preferred to play Dungeons and Spell-casters 3.5 for the rest of their life and are miffed that a new edition comes along? I certainly hope it is ignorance and nothing else.

Oh, and before someone comes along and shoots at me for saying such things, I would like to point out that I fully acknowledge some similarities between the two games, just not where some people make them out to be.

Cheers,

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I've never played WoW but to me D&D4E seems more like Diablo 2. When I'd play a low level Diablo 2 Paladin I'd make my default attack the Zeal power rather than a normal sword/scepter attack. It kinda goes along with the 4E idea that you never make a normal basic attack unless it is an AoO. The 4e Warrior has a special attack that can cause knockback and it uses the same to hit bonus as the warrior's basic attack... there is no reason NOT to use the knockback attack.

AllisterH

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
I've never played WoW but to me D&D4E seems more like Diablo 2. When I'd play a low level Diablo 2 Paladin I'd make my default attack the Zeal power rather than a normal sword/scepter attack. It kinda goes along with the 4E idea that you never make a normal basic attack unless it is an AoO. The 4e Warrior has a special attack that can cause knockback and it uses the same to hit bonus as the warrior's basic attack... there is no reason NOT to use the knockback attack.

Now this is a valid point.

The 4E we've seen has no reason to use a regular attack unless a specific situation comes up and I guess that's the tradeoff for having an "at-will" power.

The only question is, given that you have two at-will powers at 1st level, which one do you use.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
AllisterH said:
The only question is, given that you have two at-will powers at 1st level, which one do you use.

The obvious answer is that you use whichever one would be more useful for the situation.

Or, less optimally, whichever one you feel like.

Lacyon

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:

It sounds like the idea is that you use basic attacks for OAs, charges, and special powers (presumably from Warlord or other leader-types) that grant you attacks when it's not your turn. This should accomplish several things:

Provoking an Opportunity Attack is less dangerous in general, because you aren't granting your opponent his full offensive power against you. This should make people consider options they might have otherwise ignored.

The benefits of charging don't need to be counter-balanced by an AC penalty that you have to remember until your next turn, because you've already restricted yourself to using the basic attack instead of your special powers.

You don't have to worry as much about Warlord abilities that grant free attacks being too powerful because, again, they don't let the Fighter-types use their full offensive capability.

You also don't have the awkward situation where some characters' out-of-turn attacks outshine the current character's actions.

It does all these things with one very simple subsystem. I like it.

krystian

First Post
WoW (pun intended) we got some 20th level Trolls here. Yes I have played that inciped, '12' year old infested game and was over it in a week (World of Warcraft). I read these leaked rules and they resemble WoW powers. The game just feels like WoW. However not that you will bother to qoute this; I did find the bits about the magic items and fortunately they dont resemble WoW too much. I'm not going to split hairs over WoW and 4th ed with you. I am simply stating my gut feeling on it. I'm still buying the 4e product (the three book set) and quite excited about ease of DM'ing it.

I have been playing D&D since 1st ed. So don’t get on your dorky high horse of nerd gibbering -4. If you just want to beat your -2 'cursed' chest of self convincing this game is not WoW then why post this thread of rhetorical ranting? To hear yourself whine? This behavior is why I rarely post.... on the internet no matter what your reply your always wrong, questioned of your sexual orientation and the troll with the biggest mouth is always right.

So go rub your d4 in your nose and second wind your mouth around your foot. I'll be enjoying the game. Thought get intelligent conversation........... :\

Zinovia

Explorer
krystian said:
WoW (pun intended) we got some 20th level Trolls here. Yes I have played that inciped, '12' year old infested game and was over it in a week (World of Warcraft).
Trolls? Pot meet kettle.
I'm glad to know you gave WoW an entire week before condemning it as a pastime suited only for 12 year olds. I must be in tune with my inner child.

I read these leaked rules and they resemble WoW powers. The game just feels like WoW.
So it feels like WoW in play? It must be great to have had the chance to try 4E out. How was your playtest?

However not that you will bother to qoute this; I did find the bits about the magic items and fortunately they dont resemble WoW too much.
Of course I will quote it, since you seem to feel that omitting it will somehow cause your views to be misrepresented in any rebuttal post. So it's just like WoW except for the magic items. Comforting.

I'm still buying the 4e product (the three book set) and quite excited about ease of DM'ing it.
I agree.

I have been playing D&D since 1st ed.
Basic / Expert here.

So don’t get on your dorky high horse of nerd gibbering -4. If you just want to beat your -2 'cursed' chest of self convincing this game is not WoW then why post this thread of rhetorical ranting? To hear yourself whine? This behavior is why I rarely post.... on the internet no matter what your reply your always wrong, questioned of your sexual orientation and the troll with the biggest mouth is always right.

So go rub your d4 in your nose and second wind your mouth around your foot. I'll be enjoying the game. Thought get intelligent conversation........... :\
Don't insult people if you don't want a negative response. You sir, are being rude.

Last edited:

Remove ads