D&D 4E 4E is like WoW (NOT!)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
krystian said:
WoW (pun intended) we got some 20th level Trolls here. Yes I have played that inciped, '12' year old infested game and was over it in a week (World of Warcraft). I read these leaked rules and they resemble WoW powers. The game just feels like WoW. However not that you will bother to qoute this; I did find the bits about the magic items and fortunately they dont resemble WoW too much. I'm not going to split hairs over WoW and 4th ed with you. I am simply stating my gut feeling on it. I'm still buying the 4e product (the three book set) and quite excited about ease of DM'ing it.

I have been playing D&D since 1st ed. So don’t get on your dorky high horse of nerd gibbering -4. If you just want to beat your -2 'cursed' chest of self convincing this game is not WoW then why post this thread of rhetorical ranting? To hear yourself whine? This behavior is why I rarely post.... on the internet no matter what your reply your always wrong, questioned of your sexual orientation and the troll with the biggest mouth is always right.

So go rub your d4 in your nose and second wind your mouth around your foot. I'll be enjoying the game. Thought get intelligent conversation........... :\

Hey, krystian. Welcome to ENWorld. We hope you enjoy your stay. I suspect it will be more enjoyable if you lay off some of the biting snark and sarcasm and just try to talk with people like they're people.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Lacyon said:
It sounds like the idea is that you use basic attacks for OAs, charges, and special powers (presumably from Warlord or other leader-types) that grant you attacks when it's not your turn. This should accomplish several things:

Provoking an Opportunity Attack is less dangerous in general, because you aren't granting your opponent his full offensive power against you. This should make people consider options they might have otherwise ignored.

The benefits of charging don't need to be counter-balanced by an AC penalty that you have to remember until your next turn, because you've already restricted yourself to using the basic attack instead of your special powers.

You don't have to worry as much about Warlord abilities that grant free attacks being too powerful because, again, they don't let the Fighter-types use their full offensive capability.

You also don't have the awkward situation where some characters' out-of-turn attacks outshine the current character's actions.

It does all these things with one very simple subsystem. I like it.

I'm not arguing for or against the use of at will abilities... I'm simply stating that I believe it feels more like Diablo2 than WoW. :)

Rel said:
Hey, krystian. Welcome to ENWorld. We hope you enjoy your stay. I suspect it will be more enjoyable if you lay off some of the biting snark and sarcasm and just try to talk with people like they're people.
No, the red... the red... aaaaah.

I love the moderators too. But I also fear them. You just ask yourself "Well, what's up with this thread? Did they post something interesting and surprising in their?" and BAM, you see the RED TEXT...

Doug McCrae

Legend
When I first played WoW I thought, "This is like D&D, but more so." What I mean by that is that they'd taken the ideas invented by Gygax and Arneson such as levelling up and random magic items and distilled it into a purer form. Like refining cocaine into crack. Faster levelling (at least at first), more magic items, gradually revealed complexity, better gameplay.

So if they are turning D&D into WoW, and I think they are a little bit, then they're making D&D more 'D&Dy'.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
gradually revealed complexity

Honestly, that's one of the things that WoW does very well. I can't say how many times, when levelling my hunter, a newly-acquired spell came in handy, or would have come in handy had I bothered to go back and train.

Brad

Remove ads