D&D 4E 4E is to be announced at GenCon?

kenobi65

First Post
Razz said:
If it can be assured that 4E is the final installment of D&D and there'll be no 5E, then I may jump ship from 3.5E to 4E.

Boy, don't count on that. I can't see them (or, for that matter, any major publisher) ever saying "this is the capstone edition of this game."

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Razz said:
Something tells me you do not own at least 20+ D&D books (I own 80+ published by WotC, including the 3E Dragon Magazines) or else you'd actually cringe everytime you hear "4E", like I do.

I don't think it's a given that somebody will automatically cringe when hearing talk about 4e, een if they are not rich and somehow manage to own every single book WotC has released for D&D3e.

I sure don't.

I have long since decided what to do when 3e is replaced; I'll buy the 4e core books, and that will be all. I'll still play whatever D&D takes my fance at the time. Even 4e, if that is fun enough.

/M

kenobi65

First Post
Najo said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the OGL is out of the bag and able to do what you want with it. You can make material that works with 4e but wouldn't have the D20 system logo and it could not reference Dungeons and Drasgons or the Player's Handbook by name. You couldn't use the DMG or MM refrence either, and would have to call them corebook 2 and 3 respectively. Other than that, you can make a 4e book. The OGL can't be taken back.

The OGL can't be taken back, no...but there's no reason that 4E would have to be OGL.

Any publisher can use the OGL to make 3.5-compatible products until the end of time. However, there's nothing in the OGL that says that WotC has to use it for future editions of the game, or that they have to make 4E in any way compatible with 3.5.

And, thus, if 4E isn't OGL, the third-party publishers would no longer be able to make products that are compatible with the current edition of the game. And *that's* what's concerning to them.

Vigilance

Explorer
Razz said:
Any of those will make me switch to 4E, otherwise WotC simply loses another fan and customer. (and will probably gain another pirate in protest)

Nice.

"Company X did not do what I wanted them, therefore I'll just steal from them".

Totally classless.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Vigilance said:
Razz said:
*snip*
Any of those will make me switch to 4E, otherwise WotC simply loses another fan and customer. (and will probably gain another pirate in protest)
Nice.

"Company X did not do what I wanted them, therefore I'll just steal from them".

Totally classless.
Can't say fairer than that.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Razz said:
The problem is I really don't want to have to sell all my D&D books everytime a new edition comes out in order to make up for my loss. I also can't keep my 2E, 3E AND 4E books, I have too much to lug around as it is in case we move or something else happens. I really don't see the need for 4E and if 4E does come out (since it will), I really don't see where they can take it from there and hope a 5E never happens.

If you don't see a need for a 4th Edition, don't buy it. Why does the future existance of 4E affect you at all?

Razz said:
If it can be assured that 4E is the final installment of D&D and there'll be no 5E, then I may jump ship from 3.5E to 4E.

Many would see this as a stagnation of the game. I like it when the game evolves. Sometimes all the evolution gets too messy with lots of supplemental books and the time comes to tighten up the game and start anew with the elements that worked while scrapping those that didn't.

Razz said:
Or if 4E is a jump from 3.5E as 3.5E was a jump from 3E, I will consider 4E.

I'm the opposite. If a full edition is that light of a change I won't like it. I resisted the change from 1E to 2E because not only did not enough change, they took away options.

Razz said:
Or if WotC promises to convert ALL 3E/3.5E material to 4E, something they almost did so far.

I could see them doinf this.

Razz said:

So ou would like 4E enough to steal it but not buy it? That makes no sense.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Relax, he said "probably".

Razz said:

He'll come around. A man can gripe can't he?
He like some cheese too. ;)

Alnag

First Post
Razz said:
Something tells me you do not own at least 20+ D&D books (I own 80+ published by WotC, including the 3E Dragon Magazines) or else you'd actually cringe everytime you hear "4E", like I do.

Unwise you were, my young padawan. I am also looking forward to a new edition (if it will be a bit like SW SECR it would be great!) and yes, I do not buy much D&D books or stuff. So far I have 10. And these are nice titles, which I will be able to use with whatever edition.

On the other hand if you have 80+ books, there is no need to worry wheather 4E will come or not. Just stick with what you have, it will serve you till the end of your days.

Anyway, may the magic be with you, Razz!

Remove ads