D&D 4E 4e Multiclassing and Characters from Fiction

Patlin

Explorer
What are some of your favorite fantasy books, and how would you represent the characters in them under the 4e multiclassing system? I'll start off with a few to show what I mean.

The Belgariad by David Eddings
Belgareth the Sorceror: Wizard
Polgara the Sorceress: Wizard
Belgarion: Wizard with fighter multiclass feat
Barak: Fighter
Silk: Rogue
Lelldorin: Ranger
Madorallen: Fighter

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
Rand Al'Thor: Fighter with Wizard multiclass feat, or vice versa
Matt Cauthon: Warlord
Perin Aybara: Fighter? Warlord? Mostly he has strange racial abilities.
Various Aes Sedai: Cleric with Wizard multiclass feat
Brigitte: Ranger

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Harry: Wizard
Michael: Paladin
Actually, in this series almost everybody is a wizard or an npc/monster.

So far, few of the characters I can think of need to be expressed as multiclass characters at all. Belgareth, for example, is highly skilled and could probably fight OK without the use of sorcery... all of which means, IMO, that he's very high level, and not that he has rogue or fighter levels.

Voss

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
So ... what are the Fellowship hobbits at the beginning of LotR? What about the end?

Useless? And even more useless? :D

I'm always hesitant about this kind of experiment. D&D doesn't really translate directly to books very well. It works in a constructed gameworld that is built on D&D logic, but it doesn't work too well on books that aren't relying on that same logic.

muffin_of_chaos

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
So ... what are the Fellowship hobbits at the beginning of LotR? What about the end?
Hm.
Beginning to end
Sam - minion to Paladin
Pippin - minion to Fighter multiclassed with tool
Merry - minion to Fighter multiclassed with rogue
Frodo - Fighter to Fighter multiclassed with minion

Nice one! Although I reckon Rand is just a fighter or maybe a warlord but he has a 'dragon reborn' template. Perrin has a 'wolf brother' template and Matt some other template. Their powers don't come from training but their bloodlines (and being infected by shadar logoth in matts case) so IMO they are templates :)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
mach1.9pants said:
Nice one! Although I reckon Rand is just a fighter or maybe a warlord but he has a 'dragon reborn' template. Perrin has a 'wolf brother' template and Matt some other template. Their powers don't come from training but their bloodlines (and being infected by shadar logoth in matts case) so IMO they are templates :)
That rather sounds like a proliferating DM, creating custom Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies.

I mean, "Dragon Reborn" is definitively a epic destiny!

Cheers, LT.

prototype00

First Post
Kvothe the Bloodless

Wizard (or possibly warlock, I'm having trouble categorizing Sympathy, whereas knowing the Name of the Wind definitely seems slightly warlock-ish, in terms of straight power) with Sneak of Shadows. (Possibly also took Skill Training: Bluff and Skill Training Diplomacy)

prototype00

Mighty Veil

First Post
LotR

Frodo, halfling rogue
Sam, halfling rogue
Pip, halfling rogue, m/c paladin
Merry, halfling rogue, m/c fighter
Strider, human (aasimar) ranger, m/c warlord
Legolas, elf ranger
Gimli, dwarf fighter
Gandalf, eldarin but looks human (half-celestial) wizard