• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Special Ability PER Encounter stinks...

hong

WotC's bitch
Raven Crowking said:
No, I meant to imply that keeping track of time isn't really a major problem, and that therefore your objection on that basis to just saying "reset with 1 minute's rest" if that is what is meant is nonsensical.

To be precise, keeping track of time when it is a significant factor in the context of the overall adventure is important. Keeping track of time when it is just a peripheral parameter is not important. Why do you like keeping track of peripheral parameters for no good reason?

Geron Raveneye said:
Just as a thought experiment, would it be possible to create a bridge between "per encounter" abilities and "per day" abilities by using the current system of magic with slightly different spells?

Imagine, for example, a 1st level spell called Cantrip that has a duration of 1 hour/level and enables a caster to use any of the 0 level spells, 1/round and 1 at the same time only.

Or a Magic Missile spell that isn't insta-hit but requires a ranged touch attack, has a medium range, a duration of 1 hour/level and allows a caster to create 1 force missile and fire it off as a standard action, causing 1d4+1 points of damage on a successful ranged touch attack? Maybe add an option that allows him to discharge 1 hour worth of missiles (600 if my math doesn't fail me) to create a burst effect that causes 1d4+1 points of damage to every creature in a 30' radius?

Would those spells be overpowering as 1st level spells? Would it change the current gameplay drastically? The caster still has to manage a spell slot as resource, but gets longer use out of it. A bit like the old Melf's Minute Meteors, only with a longer duration (1 hour vs. 1 round/level).

That is basically an alternate way to implement Reserve Feats. An alternate take might be "As long as you have the spell prepared, you can fire off one magic missile per round. You can unleash (lose) the spell to fire one magic missile at every opponent within range."

(What I wonder in the whole context of the proposed 25+ level of spells system: How many can a spellcaster actually prepare each day? One of each level? Two? Three? Couldn't this be to many spells in the end? Well, we will have to wait and see...)

The problem I have with counters for recharge time is when you have multiple abilities. So it isn't one timer you have to keep track of, but one timer for each recharge ability.

With my binder PC, I've just translated "once every 5 rounds" to "once per encounter" anyway. Otherwise if I use ability A on round 1, then ability B on round 2, doing something else for round 3, then ability C on round 4, I now have to keep track of abilities becoming available again on rounds 6, 7, and 9. While I'm intelligent enough to be able to to do this, I find it pretty annoying. Having a "rest and recharge 1 minute" rule which for 99.99% of all game sessions translates into "once per encounter", it is a heck of a lot easier.

And considering several people have stated that SWSE and I believe Bo9S states "if it comes up 'per encounter' means you need to rest and recharge 1 minute", I'm thinking it's a safe bet the designers will state the same thing in 4E. "Per encounter" is just a really simple and useful shorthand that works 99.99% of the time.

Raven Crowking

First Post
hong said:
To be precise, keeping track of time when it is a significant factor in the context of the overall adventure is important. Keeping track of time when it is just a peripheral parameter is not important. Why do you like keeping track of peripheral parameters for no good reason?

For the most part, "I rest for 1 minute" requires no real timekeeping.

While in combat (esp. for spell durations) in order to use the RAW some ticking off of rounds is necessary. So, again, no real timekeeping in addition to what is already happening.

If you handwave spell durations, you can handwave minute rests just as easily.

RC

hong

WotC's bitch
Raven Crowking said:
For the most part, "I rest for 1 minute" requires no real timekeeping.

While in combat (esp. for spell durations) in order to use the RAW some ticking off of rounds is necessary. So, again, no real timekeeping in addition to what is already happening.

If you handwave spell durations, you can handwave minute rests just as easily.

Exactly. I handwave spell durations to per-encounter. I see no reason not to treat regaining abilities the same way. Unless your argument comes down to "I do things this way, therefore WotC's published rules should do things another way".

Raven Crowking

First Post
hong said:
Exactly. I handwave spell durations to per-encounter. I see no reason not to treat regaining abilities the same way. Unless your argument comes down to "I do things this way, therefore WotC's published rules should do things another way".

If you handwave, and I use minute recharge, and my minute recharge is easy for you to handwave and therefore causes you no trouble, but your handwaving causes difficulties to others, then WotC should go with the system that will cause the least difficulties for all concerned.

IMHO, of course.

RC

hong

WotC's bitch
Raven Crowking said:
If you handwave, and I use minute recharge, and my minute recharge is easy for you to handwave and therefore causes you no trouble, but your handwaving causes difficulties to others, then WotC should go with the system that will cause the least difficulties for all concerned.

Given that this thread has already thrown up the rule that you would use as a substitute for per-encounter recharge, clearly you will have no trouble at all adapting to a per-encounter ruleset.

Imaro said:
Okay, first off a stormtrooper isn't designated as a mook(actually CL 1)

Stormtroopers are totally mooks. They are, in fact, the quintessential mooks.

They're built using entirely Nonheroic levels (they're NH 4s). They have 10 Hit Points and a Threshold of 12. Their Ref Defense is 16. They are walking one-hit kills.

A good article to read on SW Encounter Design (and the role of mooks therein) can be found here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads