• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th edition, The fantastic game that everyone hated.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think this is an overly narrow view of pacifism and adventuring. One, the individual pacifist's reasons are very important here. He may believe in the cause of the adventurer 's. he may even believe in just war theory, but not be comfortable with acting violently himself. Two, going on an adventure does not equal going to war. An adventuring group could be traveling for all kinds of reasons, not necessarily with the express purpose of doing violence. The priest could be there as a guiding influence over the party, someone who doesn't believe in bloodshed but understands the realities of the world, so travels with his friends to give them wise council to alternatives to combat. But they are still his allies and heals them when combat does asrise.
This is more detail than I went into it, but is well said.

I've played characters and DMed others' characters with various degrees of pacifism before. For example, a druid who was a vegetarian but didn't have any problem killing "unnatural" enemies. Or one player who played a cleric optimized for healing who essentially never attacked unless the enemy was undead, in which case he attacked with healing spells. But boy did his healing work out well. There are plenty of reasons to adventure other than killing enemies, and plenty of D&D characters who contribute to the game in nonviolent ways.

Nagol

Unimportant
This is more detail than I went into it, but is well said.

I've played characters and DMed others' characters with various degrees of pacifism before. For example, a druid who was a vegetarian but didn't have any problem killing "unnatural" enemies. Or one player who played a cleric optimized for healing who essentially never attacked unless the enemy was undead, in which case he attacked with healing spells. But boy did his healing work out well. There are plenty of reasons to adventure other than killing enemies, and plenty of D&D characters who contribute to the game in nonviolent ways.

And not just healers. One of my 1e characters, a M-U/Th worked to avoid any fight. "If we're fighting we're that much closer to defeat. Better to complete the goal without being discovered."

Ahnehnois

First Post
And not just healers. One of my 1e characters, a M-U/Th worked to avoid any fight. "If we're fighting we're that much closer to defeat. Better to complete the goal without being discovered."
Agreed. There's a strong tradition of intellectual guys who like to avoid direct combat; certain thief/rogue types, loremaster types, as well as a variety of other noncombatant concepts that are very D&D. Hedge wizards who create magic items, clerics who actually run temples, explorer rangers, spymaster rogues, pretty much most bards. Even the archetypical "fighter" can get a castle and retire to a life of nobility.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I'm not surprised. 4e was released a year too early.

Yes, it definitely needed more time in the oven. Also, I think it was a huge mistake to wait almost 2 1/2 years to release entry-level material (Essentials). None of the classes from the 4e PHB are particularly suited for new players; the ranger comes close but it's saddled with the fiddly Hunter's Quarry feature, which is just as aggravating to track as marks and curses.

That would do it. The faster you put monsters down, the less time they spend beating you up! That said, you often save your encounter powers against MV Solos as they often get really nasty once they are bloodied.

Yeah, they weren't fighting solos, just regular encounters. The bard had Shout of Triumph as her encounter power (close blast 3, 1d6+Cha damage and push Con mod squares, slide each ally in the blast Con mod squares), and I don't think she ever used it. While it's a good power, I think that it's rather fiddly and I can see how a player sit on it while waiting for multiple enemies and allies to get into a 3x3 area. If we resume that campaign, I might suggest that she take Inspiring Refrain instead (2[W] + Cha damage, each ally within 5 squares gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls until end of bard's next turn). It's much less situational (a 2[W] damage attack is always useful), and the +1 bonus applies to everyone and can only happen once per encounter instead of feeling random.

And my recommended leader has pretty much always been the Warlord (I hit him ... with the barbarian!). A Warlord/Slayer combination is especially scary - the warlord in this case has approximately the damage output of the slayer (mostly because the slayer is making all the attack and damage rolls)

The bard is one of the fiddliest classes (the Runepriest is the absolute worst). It's also one of my favourites, but then I'm used to running half a dozen monsters rather than a single PC.

I haven't seen a warlord in play, but they look rather fiddly to me as well. I guess there is a certainly fiddliness inherent in any of the leader classes. The "lazy warlord" doesn't strike me as something that would be that much fun for a lot of players, with so many of your rounds being devoted to giving another PC a chance to shine.

Of the four players in my 4e campaign, only one owned any 4e books. One player (my sister) has been playing D&D as long as I have (since 1987) and knows 3.x quite well, but neither owns nor has read any 4e books. The other two players were completely new to D&D. I think that if I DM 4e again, I will strongly recommend that players mainly stick to the two Essentials books unless they're the sort of player who enjoys spending time outside the game sessions reading the books.

The best way of wearing down the PCs I've found is one of the few house rules I use - extended rests only happen in a place of safety rather than on the road. (For a sandbox it would be your base town or a friendly one). Makes for much more risk/reward analysis and PCs feeling threatened.

Yeah, I'll definitely be doing that if we play 4e again. I think that it's more believable and it also puts the "adventure" at the center of the game. I also like the idea that an extended rest happens when it is narratively appropriate, not simply because the PCs used their best abilities and want them back. There some interesting ways that altering extended rests can work within the context of scene-framing, but I think I'll share those thoughts over on that thread.

This would also make milestones more significant, although the game probably needs something else attached to milestones other than action points (and an occasional paragon path feature, I think).

Do you find that restricting when and where extended rests can take place impacts the balance between characters with AEDU-style powers and the Essentials martial characters that lack daily attack powers?

Yes, it definitely needed more time in the oven. Also, I think it was a huge mistake to wait almost 2 1/2 years to release entry-level material (Essentials). None of the classes from the 4e PHB are particularly suited for new players; the ranger comes close but it's saddled with the fiddly Hunter's Quarry feature, which is just as aggravating to track as marks and curses.

I think the first thing I'd do if re-writing the PHB Ranger is just flat out remove Hunter's Quarry. And yes, I agree absolutely. There's no way in hell I'll play a Slayer - but I'm very glad it's there.

The bard ... If we resume that campaign,

If you resume that campaign, take a look at the Skald. It has the decision points broken up in the way the Essentials classes do - and doesn't have the annoying random "On bloodying or killing" trigger.

I haven't seen a warlord in play, but they look rather fiddly to me as well. I guess there is a certainly fiddliness inherent in any of the leader classes. The "lazy warlord" doesn't strike me as something that would be that much fun for a lot of players, with so many of your rounds being devoted to giving another PC a chance to shine.

The really awesome Warlord type is the Bravura Warlord - the one who leads from the front and cons the enemy into attacking him rather than even the defender. Also their action point trigger is a one shot gamble (wagering a free move action or basic attack against granting combat advantage) rather than a minor boost. It is very much a "Who dares wins" style of play.

The other two players were completely new to D&D. I think that if I DM 4e again, I will strongly recommend that players mainly stick to the two Essentials books unless they're the sort of player who enjoys spending time outside the game sessions reading the books.

I'd recommend it :)

This would also make milestones more significant, although the game probably needs something else attached to milestones other than action points (and an occasional paragon path feature, I think).

Escalation Dice from 13th Age work nicely. +1 to hit per milestone reached. Just tempt them on that little bit further...

Do you find that restricting when and where extended rests can take place impacts the balance between characters with AEDU-style powers and the Essentials martial characters that lack daily attack powers?

I've never noticed a problem with a mixed group - but the only one recently playing an AEDU class was far the most devious and rules adept of the group. I think the martials did more damage - but there wasn't a significant problem.

Oh, a lot of my characters have that attitude. It's simply practical. But that doesn't mean that they don't fight brutally effectively when they think they have no other choice.

Hussar

Legend
Kaiilurker said:
Again, the biggest problem is you can't just pull this off organically in 4e, you have to plan in advance, all quirks and deviations on the growth of the character specifically happening in the backstory, being carefully scripted or taking a painfull and nonsesically long time to pull off while compromising effectivity instead of emerging organically in the day to day play. A second level 4e rogue who decides he wishes to change his life and reform to be a cleric has no way to stop learning and developping roguey abililities and dedicate all of his efforts to become a cleric, he still has to keep learning rogue things for eight levels before he can be an effective cleric, and even then he never stops learning to be a rogue, and the amount of resources he has dedicated to this will make him very suboptimal overall. In 2e he could just have dual classed the next time he earned a level (of course assumming he had the stats to pull it off) and in 3.x he stopps taking rogue levels for cleric levels. Nothing short of a full character rebuild can acomplish this on 4e (and again it isn't and organic process)

Well, actually, it's not that difficult. The retraining rules are baked right into 4e. You can most certainly go back and change stuff as you level up. I know that my characters have undergone all sorts of revisions, just about every level, just to make them grow more organically.

S

Sunseeker

Well, actually, it's not that difficult. The retraining rules are baked right into 4e. You can most certainly go back and change stuff as you level up. I know that my characters have undergone all sorts of revisions, just about every level, just to make them grow more organically.

Indeed, my first game of 4e ever back in..2010 I think used them.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
1) See, though, if you built a new character in 4e, it could grow organically there. But replicating a character from a previous edition is by nature going to fail at that - you'd no longer be organically building the character, but building with a specific goal in mind! I'd also like to note that nothing about that Paladin build actually requires a level higher than 1 to meet the concept - just to flesh it out in the feats and utilities department.

2) 4e isn't '"everyone fights or the party dies" - it's "if there's a fight, everyone will be able to contribute". I'd argue that the PC type you're talking about wasn't actually properly supported in previous editions - in 3.x, essentially, if you wanted to subdue, you forced everyone to take attack penalties to do nonlethal damage, thereby reducing their efficacy in combat, or else you dearly hoped you were the one that got the last hit in. In 4e you just say "Hey, guys - let's subdue instead of kill". Alternately, you'd go for status conditions to make it easier for your opponents to subdue the enemy - which is only harder in 4e if you're talking instant win buttons like sleep.

1) Yeah, probably right, but I can't see a way to have a character change classes the way I'm used to in 4e, and my biggest complaint is that you need a high degree of mastery just to get the character as close as you want it, there are lots of restrictions on character development, and it takes a very long time and many levels to get there.

2) actually no, the "be lucky to be the last one to hit" only applies to 4e. All it takes for you to spare an enemy is to cause it at least 1 point of nonlethal damage. (unless your allies hit so hard they kill it on the spot). And there are lots of ways of using non-lethal damage without penalty, the sap, unarmed strikes,merciful weapons, certain exalted feats, and also there are ways to contribute to the fight without killing: alchemical items, nets, exotic weapons, etc.

Siberys

Adventurer
As I recall on 3.x, a character was ko'd with nonlethal when the nonlethal damage equaled or exceeded the character's current hp, aye? That means that, unless you're pumping your damage, a good hit will totally negate the actions you put into nonlethal. Which wouldn't be too rare if you're sinking all your resources into being nonlethal instead of pumping damage. And all of those methods you listed for bypassing the penalty? They require other characters to spend build options - so instead of reducing their likelyhood to hit, you're asking them to drop a feat or a bunch of gold for /your/ character concept, which is another way of saying "thereby reducing their efficacy in combat". That's what I'm getting at. In 4e, that's not necessary. You aren't taking something mechanical from your party members to play with your character concept in 4e, but it's required to play along in 3.x.

And, y'know, there are ways to contribute to a fight without killing in 4e. It just happens to be /really easy/ mechanically, because reduced to 0 hp != dead; it means unable to fight.

As for 1), well, what's that different about taking a feat to be a sorcerer and spending a level to be a sorcerer? I mean, I'll admit, the power-swap feats are too much of an investment. I've rolled their benefit into the main MC feats. But other than that, what? If you want your character to change from paladin-with-sorcerer to sorcerer-with-paladin, rebuild it! I can kinda dig the system mastery bit, but even then it's not like you need to know the guts of the classes to get reflavoring or weird character building right. Just basic descriptions and ability score preferences, with maybe some powers if you're being picky. :/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads