• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th level spell suggestions for 7th lvl wizard?

Prism

Explorer
Barendd Nobeard said:
OK, Dim Door wins! :)

Now, as for the other spell to pick.....

I think you could do with a direct attack spell so evards or enervation are good choices depending on if you want an area or single target spell which in turn depends on what you have covered with lower level spells

Prism said:
I think you could do with a direct attack spell so evards or enervation are good choices depending on if you want an area or single target spell which in turn depends on what you have covered with lower level spells
Having a character that died due to Evard's Black Tentacles, I'm think I'm leaning toward picking it. My DM really hates Web, but I don't think he'll dislike Evard's as much.

I'll get two more 4th level spells the next time I level up, so then I can pick other things people have suggested (like Assay Resistance). I also like to clear non-PHB spells with my DM first.

Scion

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
Gotta remember Stoneskin!

In games that I have tried to use this I found the material component to be prohibitive to its use ;/

it is great when used, but using it often, or even having it available to be used often, can be very prohibitive until later levels.

Sledge

First Post
Stoneskin is indeed great, but I've noticed that I always avoid casting it due to the costs.
Wall of Fire has lots of uses.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Scion said:
In games that I have tried to use this I found the material component to be prohibitive to its use ;/

it is great when used, but using it often, or even having it available to be used often, can be very prohibitive until later levels.
I agree. However, a scroll of Stoneskin can prove quite the effective emergency option.

NimrodvanHall

First Post
If you are good aligned do NOT take enervation!
from the SRD: http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/AbilitiesandConditions.rtf

ENERGY DRAIN AND NEGATIVE LEVELS
Some horrible creatures, especially undead monsters, possess a fearsome supernatural ability to drain levels from those they strike in combat. The creature making an energy drain attack draws a portion of its victim’s life force from her. Most energy drain attacks require a successful melee attack roll—mere physical contact is not enough. Each successful energy drain attack bestows one or more negative levels on the opponent. A creature takes the following penalties for each negative level it has gained.

–1 on all skill checks and ability checks.

–1 on attack rolls and saving throws.

–5 hit points.

–1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).

If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.

Negative levels remain for 24 hours or until removed with a spell, such as restoration. After 24 hours, the afflicted creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 attacker’s HD + attacker’s Cha modifier). (The DC is provided in the attacker’s description.) If the saving throw succeeds, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. The afflicted creature makes a separate saving throw for each negative level it has gained. If the save fails, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one.

A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight. A creature gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level it bestows (though not if the negative level is caused by a spell or similar effect).

empatis is mine

You do not want to run the risk to accidentally create undead critters. As an evil guy yes take this spell, as a neutral guy, think about it and take precations.
phantasmal killer might be nice, as is charm monster,
in my opinion no mage can live without Scry.
give some thought to detect scrying, and if you use complete arcane, look at mass resist elements, and anticipate teleport.night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight. A creature gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level it bestows (though not if the negative level is caused by a spell or similar effect).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads