4th to 5th Edition Converters - What has been your experience?

Obryn

Hero
Oddly, 2e and 4e are flip sides of a coin. 2e is clearly presented, but the rules simply don't work. Nobody actually sat down and tried to write a game to do what the presentation says the game is about. 4e is the opposite. The system does EXACTLY what it was intended to do, but figuring out what that is requires some serious level of understanding of RPGs and insight into DMing craft. I find it sad that WotC couldn't have hired Zeb Cook and Steve Winter to write 4e.
Yah, I've played the 'what might have been' game over and over again. Better-presented and better-tested rules, less terrible adventures and marketing ...

I'm basically in that spot. I've gotten a PC up to 8th level in Adventurer's League, but I doubt I'll play AL again. I got faced with a choice of playing a 1st level PC at a convention or essentially burning a slot so as to go home early - I ended up choosing to go home early because I was that repulsed by the idea of ever playing a 1st level 5e PC ever again. Yes, I know it goes quick - I don't care because it is that completely painful to me.

I'm not really even that enthused by the 8th level PC, even though he's got cool options(Rogue 1/Knowledge Cleric 1/Book Great Old One Warlock 6) - simply because I'm realizing that most combats are about Hex+Eldritch Blast with an occasional other option to do. In retrospect, I should have just played a Lore Bard, but I'm not clear that would have been that fun either - simply because if I have complexity, I like to try to use it and keeping track of essentially 15+ at-will options would drive me batty.
I hear a lot of stories like this on other forums, too. I'm pretty happy with my group's position because I wasn't a fan of running it, myself.

D'karr

Adventurer
Yeah, on the surface, 4e often appears to be one game, but once you get a little deeper, it suddenly switches to this completely different game. Zone Defenders vs Lockdown Defenders vs. Catch-22 Defenders. Nova Strikers vs. DPR Strikers. Enabling Leaders vs. Healbots. Controllers who actually control without taking targets off the board for the combat by default vs. Area Strikers with a little control who don't actually do quite enough damage.

And the interesting thing here is that with many of those examples, you could have members of the same class being any of the available choices.

But even with that variability of choices the gameplay usually remained fun.

S'mon

Legend
I don't know what level these monsters have been. They're all basically whatever crops up in wilderness adventuring where we are. There were 6 giant lizards, most of which fell to a single fireball (I think they all failed their saves, which at a 14 was admittedly some bad luck for the DM, and I rolled pretty well on 8d6, that might not happen every time). I managed to kill off 3 bandits in a single blast as well, though there were some other monsters. Still, that meant by the start of round 2 half the enemy was literally toast and the other half was getting waxed.

I just find that, at least in our campaign, its not that hard for us to arrange limited numbers of fights per day MOST of the time, and even when its 3-4 fights, at level 7 I've still got 4,3,3,1 plus cantrips, which is generally enough to minimally outdo the other characters in many situations, and definitely when its one or two fights in a day. I'm sure there are other possible characters that could be competitive, ours are far from optimized (my wizard is a dwarf with a 17 INT at level 7, and he's a transmuter, far from an optimum build).

The point is, there seems to definitely be a sweet spot where the battlemaster was REALLY kicking ass, when we were taking on 4-5 fights in a day at levels 1-5, though the wizard even then was tactically pretty impressive. The Cleric, the Eldritch Knight, and the Arcane Trickster were perfectly serviceable and did their stuff. The Cleric definitely makes a big difference in terms of using Bless and etc, but unless you take on undead its not pivotal, just sort of like 'expected levels of buff'. The EK seems middling. Even at level 7 she's not really got much magic beyond a fairly nasty attack cantrip. Her melee attacks work fine, but nothing there is impressive either, and she really doesn't have a 'nova' of any sort at all. Its similar with the Rogue, she's pretty deadly at picking off a guy from a distance from concealment, which is slick, and does fine in melee, but again there's nothing about what she does that is tactically all that exciting or impressive, and she's got nothing like a real nova.

Outside of combat the Cleric is pretty handy, the rogue is quite sneaky and has some nice useful spells. The EK and Battlemaster, meh, nothing THAT exciting, they have skills, a bit of magic or "I can do Tarzan pretty well", etc. Seems like 4 out of 5 times the wizard can pull out something that's quite handy though. Every plan has at least SOME wizardly contribution, but often one of the fighters or the rogue are fairly superfluous for a while.

Certainly 5e could seriously benefit from having had better adventure pacing mechanics that incorporated a standardized resource mechanism. This is a HUGE regression from 4e IMHO. One that I find it hard to live with.

It sounds like you're fighting very weak foes for level 7, which would not be much threat even at 6-8 encounters/day.

Yeah, on the surface, 4e often appears to be one game, but once you get a little deeper, it suddenly switches to this completely different game. Zone Defenders vs Lockdown Defenders vs. Catch-22 Defenders. Nova Strikers vs. DPR Strikers. Enabling Leaders vs. Healbots. Controllers who actually control without taking targets off the board for the combat by default vs. Area Strikers with a little control who don't actually do quite enough damage.

And the interesting thing here is that with many of those examples, you could have members of the same class being any of the available choices.

I look at it at a deeper level than tactical subtleties. Its a sophisticated indie game with some very cool scene framing tools, transition techniques, etc. But nobody seems to know that, especially Mike Mearls, who seems to have believed he was in charge of a dungeon crawl game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The MECHANICS of 4e however handle the same exploration tasks, and even in the exact same ways, that 5e does! You have the same Perception skill and you can use it to make checks, the same sorts of equipment and resources, etc. 4e has rituals, 5e has spells and rituals, its all 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other in that sense.
It seemed like the relevant difference was in the published adventures. Classic D&D had adventures peppered with little DM secrets along the lines of "if a character rubs hydrosulphuric acid on the underside of the brass gargoyle in area Q, using a chamois cloth in a counter-clockwise motion, they discover... " modern games had actual mechanics for finding stuff based on the character's abilities, not just the players' action declarations. 5e goes the amusing path of having the mechanics listed, but having a core resolution system that lets the DM substitute success/failure/whatever-else-he-wants-in-narrating-the-results-of-an-action for actually using those mechanics. So it's every bit as skill-roll-driven or player-skill-driven as the DM wants it to be.

But 4e has this really amazing system for framing up action scenes that is almost completely lacking in 5e. Skill challenges aren't REALLY ideal for exploration/investigation tasks, but they CAN work there. So it just tends to be that you don't do the 'pixel bitching' kinds of things in 4e because its time to get on with it.
Bare SC mechanics do work for just 'cutting to the chase' and resolving a whole-party task without dwelling on the details of it any more than you want to (which could be a lot, if you dressed the challenge up, and can be fun) or putting in a single point of failure that holds up the whole game until someone goes back and performs the correct action in the right place.

That being said, you could do entire adventures full of that stuff, and oddly 4e will really handle it BETTER mechanically. Not only because you have an option for an SC, but in 5e the game practically falls apart if you have 1 encounter per day. We've been cycling back into our 5e game lately. My 7th level dwarf wizard is part of the group that is exploring and traveling in the wilderness. I literally just fireball everything that we see that looks hostile. There's ZERO incentive to even mess with it. I know I have 3 level 3 slots, and multiple encounters are unlikely, so I just unleash. Its actually kinda rare that the other PCs act while there's still a threat (I was getting really lucky on my init rolls the other day, I nuked 3 encounters in a row and left nothing but pickings).
Obviously, your DM needs to use fewer, tougher enemies, or more, more spread-out ones. ;)

In 4e those tactics wouldn't work. That is you'd USE those tactics, but so would the fighter, the cleric, and the rogue.
And you'd all have to if you wanted to 'Alpha Strike' an encounter, which still didn't work at all dependably. Though when it did, it could seem pretty spectacular.

In 5e the rogue's got zip, her bow is deadly, but its not THAT much better than Fire Bolt, and doesn't hold a candle to a level 3 spell. Same with the fighter, she can easily do nasty damage, but its nothing like my nova.
Nod. Thus 6-8 encounters. You've only got 3 fireballs, that's less than have the expected encounters. And they're meant to be trivial, so blow up 3 trivial encounters, you get to look flashy, but the rest of the party was going to kill them all by the second or third round, anyway at no meaningful risk, and the cost of a few hps instead of a top-level spell.

In 4e the rogue would be murderizing, the fighter would be holding back the bad guys, and the wizard would be cleaning up minions or locking down a couple of them while the cleric did leader stuff, no one attack would dominate, and if it was a one-encounter day, so what? We'd all nova.
Yeah, boring and samey. ;P

5e's presentation is better, and its character options are a lot simpler to pick, but at the table I don't find its rules all that easy to use, and the books are just horribly organized. We actually just gave up trying to find the rules for spell failure chances for reading a higher level scroll last week, its just unfindable.
Does 5e ever use the words 'spell' and 'failure' in the same sentence? ;)

At-will spells
For most classes more and more of a range than in 4e, too. Most caster classes but the Wizard, who already got cantrips over and above at-wills. Of course, is you don't cast spells...
Fighter options
Gone. No at-wills beyond basic attacks, no dailies, encounters limited to one sub-class. Combat Challenge, gone. Combat Superiority, gone. Feats, optional. Marking, only if everyone can do it.
Expanding the sweet spot
contracted back to something like what it was in 2e and 3e. Jury's still out on exactly where the sweet spot is. 5-9? 3-11?

Tiered play
Yep, 3 distinct Tiers: randomly-deadly un-heroic struggling low-level, playable/heroic mid-level 'sweet spot,' high level crazybrokenfun. Prettymuch the 'sweet spot' thing from a different angle.

With both the Sweet Spot and Tiered Play aspects, 5e has a neat little feature: the exp tables are weighted to minimize your time in the first and last Tiers and maximize enjoyment of the sweetspot.
Clever.

In addition to that, I like the encounter building rules -- clearly influenced by 4e even if not as tight as they are, as well as the monster building rules (same caveat). 5e DMs like a dream for me, and much of that is combining a 4e approach with a B/X sensibility.
5e has successfully swung the pendulum back to the DM's side of the screen. It is incredibly fun to run, you can improve like crazy, you have carte blanche and there's little resistance from players. But you gotta throw out those guidelines... ;)

It sounds like you're fighting very weak foes for level 7
Which Bounded Accuracy is meant to enable.

I'm still utterly mystified by the notion that it is some sort of uber-D&D that can do any style of play. That was a truly fantastical canard that WotC seeded.
I've always been mystified by how 'canard' came to have that meaning when it's root means 'duck.'

Seriously, though, 5e can be adapted to any style of play, because it puts so much of the game exclusively in the DM's hands. You can't so much as build a character without knowing which explicit rules options your DM is using. Basic pdf? PH Standard? Feat Option? MC Option? DMG Modules? You can't roll a d20 until the DM has judged success/fail/roll and assigned a DC. With that level of DM Empowerment/dependency, the DM really can just mold the game to whatever style he wants, if not by on-the-fly rulings, then by opting in or out of rules, player choices, or modules, if not by that, if not by that, then via on-line resources like L&L and DMsGuild, if not by that, then by re-writing as much of the game as he wants.

While you can clearly see that it is built in reaction to 4e, and derives a few very generalized lessons from the 4e experience, there's no commonality of play experience between these games, beyond that they both participate in the general 'D&D milieu'.
I guess 4e is the odd D&D out when it comes to commonality of play experience.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Which Bounded Accuracy is meant to enable.

You can definitely use weak foes at high level - but there should be dozens or hundreds,
not 12. My 5e group of 11th-14th level PCs just spent the last two sessions fighting
several hundred baseline skeletons; the Cleric's two Turn Undeads alone took out around 70.

Balesir

Adventurer
Seriously, though, 5e can be adapted to any style of play, because it puts so much of the game exclusively in the DM's hands. You can't so much as build a character without knowing which explicit rules options your DM is using. Basic pdf? PH Standard? Feat Option? MC Option? DMG Modules? You can't roll a d20 until the DM has judged success/fail/roll and assigned a DC. With that level of DM Empowerment/dependency, the DM really can just mold the game to whatever style he wants, if not by on-the-fly rulings, then by opting in or out of rules, player choices, or modules, if not by that, if not by that, then via on-line resources like L&L and DMsGuild, if not by that, then by re-writing as much of the game as he wants.
I guess it depends what you mean by "style of play", but that seems to me to completely obviate the one style of play that I increasingly find that I enjoy, as a GM - giving the story over to the players and the dice. If I as GM am deciding what type of game we are playing, how hard it is to do whatever players decide to have their characters do and the relative difficulty of every alternate approach to the characters' "mission" (as well as what that mission is), I see diminishingly evident reason to even have players present messing up all that careful planning at all.

I think Dungeon World puts it exceedingly well - as GM, I want to "play to find out what happens".

Tony Vargas

Legend
I guess it depends what you mean by "style of play", but that seems to me to completely obviate the one style of play that I increasingly find that I enjoy, as a GM - giving the story over to the players and the dice. If I as GM am deciding what type of game we are playing, how hard it is to do whatever players decide to have their characters do and the relative difficulty of every alternate approach to the characters' "mission"
I actually find the 'Empowered DM' emphasis works well for improv, as well, just 'everything's a ruling' instead of 'everything's a house rule' and zero prep instead of tons. The only approach you have to worry about resolving is the one they actually take. It can be 'that worked, and this stuff happened' or 'that didn't work, and this other stuff happend' or 'roll DEX + Macramé DC 35' or whatever else seems like a good idea in the moment. You can riff off what the players are interested in and ask about instead of trying to fill the whole world in ahead of them.

You can definitely use weak foes at high level - but there should be dozens or hundreds,
Abdul was talking about a 7th level party. Probably not hundreds. But, yeah, at least attack the party from both sides of the road.

I doubt it's the case in that game, but one of the dangers of TotM is AE placement. It's easy to be overly stingy or generous with how many targets you can catch in one.

My 5e group of 11th-14th level PCs just spent the last two sessions fighting
several hundred baseline skeletons; the Cleric's two Turn Undeads alone took out around 70.
Sounds cool. D&D so rarely gets to those truely big battles we so often see in genre. Which is ironic given its wargaming roots, so it's fun when it comes full circle and tackles full-scale battles. I ran combats (not many, my players'd've revolted) like that in AD&D - but with an adaptation of Battlesystem where the party was a 'unit,' to (sorta) speed things up. Mostly, be it classic or 3e, when DMs pulled out hordes like that, we'd figure out how we'd systematically demolish them, and how many natural 20s they peg us with in the process, on average, but not generally play through it, at least, not for two sessions. ;) At some point in 3e they came up with adapting Swarm rules to humanoids in large groups, much like units. I finally got to use that idea in 4e... The most extreme case was a 26th level party facing Sahuagin 'Schools' (who knew they had lateral lines?).

Last edited:

Raith5

Adventurer
5e is really great at being a drop-in 2e replacement IMHO. It gets to the 'sweet spot' quicker, and its a little less totally caster-centric, but there's not really that much difference in tone or genre. The rules certainly are quite a bit better tuned to the type of play envisaged than 2e, which was way out of whack IMHO, but if you don't want 2e-style play then 5e is really not that useful. I'm still utterly mystified by the notion that it is some sort of uber-D&D that can do any style of play. That was a truly fantastical canard that WotC seeded. While you can clearly see that it is built in reaction to 4e, and derives a few very generalized lessons from the 4e experience, there's no commonality of play experience between these games, beyond that they both participate in the general 'D&D milieu'. I'm just not a 2e fan. It was kind of a fun experience after 1e, but that was 25 years ago.

I agree with seeing the 2e stylings. 5e feels like 2e with cantrips to me. But I think 5e could be the foundation for a more elaborate, tactical, high fantasy game ala 4e. With regards to the topic of this thread I think it would be easier to add in 4e elements to 5e than strip down 4e.

Aside from some of the optional rules in 5e DMG, I think you would to increase the number of HD and enable them to be spent in combat, maybe start with a feat, enable inspiration to be determined by the player rather than the DM, etc. The biggest job would be developing at will combat attacks or stances and/or a more elaborate maneuver system for fighters and, on the other side, buffing up monsters. I think it could be done.

Remove ads