+5 Adamantine Armor Spikes of Defending

kreynolds

First Post
Valdier said:
I think sometimes people just lack the basic ability to read.

Apparently so, as you should have recognized that the Defending enhancement is simply a magical version of fighting defensively, and you don't gain the AC bonus with fighting defensively unless you are fighting. ;)

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
kreynolds said:

Apparently so, as you should have recognized that the Defending enhancement is simply a magical version of fighting defensively, and you don't gain the AC bonus with fighting defensively unless you are fighting. ;)

That is an interesting interpretation, but I still don't see it supported anywhere in the rules.

Moreso, the ability to transfer AC from a defending weapon is a free action. Once transfered, it lasts the round. How do you prevent someone from declaring that they are "using" their armor spikes when, say, fighting defensively as you require? Even if they end up swinging another weapon. After they declare the AC bonus as a free action, they simply switch their "active" weapon to another one they happen to be carrying in their hands as another free action.

From the ever-popular SRD:

"A defender weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a special bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn."

I just checked to be sure. There is no eratta for the defending ability.

The sticking point is in the quote,"...before using the weapon,". What constitutes using the weapon to gain the benefits? Do I have to actually swing the weapon? Does this mean I can gain the AC simply by use the spikes to take my last attack in the round (the one that usually misses)? The rest of my attack before that can be with my main weapon, right?

And by the "use to get" interpretation, you cannot get the benefits of a defending weapon when taking the full defense action. That seems pretty lame to me.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Corwin said:
What constitutes using the weapon to gain the benefits? Do I have to actually swing the weapon? Does this mean I can gain the AC simply by use the spikes to take my last attack in the round (the one that usually misses)?

You can't choose to take your last attack with another weapon. To get the benefi from a defending weapon, you must alot an attack to it; offhand attacks are sufficient. If you don't want to attack it's OK, but you still get the off-hand penalty.

kreynolds

First Post
Corwin said:
That is an interesting interpretation, but I still don't see it supported anywhere in the rules.

That's your problem, not mine.

Corwin said:
How do you prevent someone from declaring that they are "using" their armor spikes when, say, fighting defensively as you require?

I don't know what you're smokin' bub, but I never said Defending weapons require you to be fighting defensively.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

You can't choose to take your last attack with another weapon. To get the benefi from a defending weapon, you must alot an attack to it; offhand attacks are sufficient. If you don't want to attack it's OK, but you still get the off-hand penalty.

Are you sure about that? If you don't attack with the offhand weapon (and therefore are not entitled to the defending power), why are you still incurring an off-hand penalty? If this is the case, holding a shield, spell component, or anything else in your offhand should incur penalties. More specifically, where does it state this in the rules?

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
Are you sure about that? If you don't attack with the offhand weapon (and therefore are not entitled to the defending power), why are you still incurring an off-hand penalty? If this is the case, holding a shield, spell component, or anything else in your offhand should incur penalties. More specifically, where does it state this in the rules?

Yup. You have to use the weapon in order to gain the benefits. Using constitutes attacking. Attacking constitutes taking the attack action or full attack action. You can't use the weapon without taking either of these actions. Thus, if you don't take either of these actions, you are not using the weapon, thus you do not gain the Defending benefits. You can, however, take either of these actions and elect not to actually swing your weapon at anyone.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
kreynolds said:

Yup. You have to use the weapon in order to gain the benefits. Using constitutes attacking. Attacking constitutes taking the attack action or full attack action. You can't use the weapon without taking either of these actions. Thus, if you don't take either of these actions, you are not using the weapon, thus you do not gain the Defending benefits. You can, however, take either of these actions and elect not to actually swing your weapon at anyone.

Um, that's what I said. My question, which may not have been clear, was brought on by his statement, "If you don't want to attack it's OK, but you still get the off-hand penalty". I thought he was implying that just by holding an offhand weapon (and never using it, say as an attack action...not a full attack), you incur the standard TWF penalties. I was asking for a reference to this, as our group has never played this way.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
Um, that's what I said.

Actually, I was trying to clarify this, so keep reading.

jontherev said:
I thought he was implying that just by holding an offhand weapon (and never using it, say as an attack action...not a full attack), you incur the standard TWF penalties.

Nope. He wasn't implying that.

jontherev said:
I was asking for a reference to this, as our group has never played this way.

That's fine. Your group is playing the right way.

Remove ads