+5 Adamantine Armor Spikes of Defending

Corwin

Explorer
So what are the particulars and mechanics around using something like this?

Is it an extra +5 to AC all the time?

Is it only applicable if you "allocate" an off-hand attack to "activate" them"?

Must you actually use them to attack with before it applies?

Should this just be forgotten and we all agree to pretend it doesn't exist?

kreynolds

First Post
Corwin said:
Is it an extra +5 to AC all the time?

Armor spikes do not grant an AC bonus, nor are they considered Armor. They are armor add-ons and are treated as weapons. You would get +5 to attacks with the spikes.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Re: Re: +5 Adamantine Armor Spikes of Defending

One of my favorite kinds of replies on a forum like this are the ones that come from someone who thinks they are being superior and correcting someone, when in fact, they are just making themselves look foolish. I see it a lot. I don't know why it is so common.

Re-read the title of this thread.

"+5 Adamantine Armor Spikes of Defending"

Now. Would you like to try this again without the need to correct someone who isn't wrong?

Sorry for the mini-rant.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: +5 Adamantine Armor Spikes of Defending

Corwin said:
Sorry for the mini-rant.

No problem. I missed that. Hows this for an answer?

Treat it just like a frickin' defending weapon. :rolleyes: ;)

Sorry for the mini-mini-rant.

Last edited:

Epametheus

First Post
I'd say that no, you couldn't, unless you actually tried to impale something with the spikes that round -- they're "inactive" until you try to really use them. So making an off-hand attack with them would do the trick.

Though if Defending could actually be used with a undrawn weapon (very unlikely), I'd say that the answer would be yes, you can leech +5 to AC off of your 72k gp armor spikes.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Epametheus said:
I'd say that no, you couldn't, unless you actually tried to impale something with the spikes that round -- they're "inactive" until you try to really use them. So making an off-hand attack with them would do the trick.

Though if Defending could actually be used with a undrawn weapon (very unlikely), I'd say that the answer would be yes, you can leech +5 to AC off of your 72k gp armor spikes.

I agree that you can't leech a sheathed weapon. The subtle problem here is that armor spikes are always ready. They are out and "armed" all the time. That's one of their advantages.

Here, try this one:

If a rogue had a pair of defending daggers, and spring attacked someone with one of them, can the AC from both be applied?

The reason this is applicable, is because on of the two daggers is "readied" (by being held), but not being used. So is the AC bonus from defending usable? If so, this is similar to armor spikes because they are in a similar situation by being worn.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Corwin said:

I agree that you can't leech a sheathed weapon. The subtle problem here is that armor spikes are always ready. They are out and "armed" all the time. That's one of their advantages.

Ready for use, and actually being used, are two different things.

Here, try this one:

If a rogue had a pair of defending daggers, and spring attacked someone with one of them, can the AC from both be applied?

No. Weapon abilities like that are use activated. You actually have to be using the weapon before you can activate the ability.

This has been answered by The Sage in the past, and I believe it is in the D&D FAQ.

The reason this is applicable, is because on of the two daggers is "readied" (by being held), but not being used. So is the AC bonus from defending usable? If so, this is similar to armor spikes because they are in a similar situation by being worn.

It is identical to the situation with the armor spikes, and the answer is the same: If you are not actually using the weapon (as in allocating an attack action to it), you cannot use any use activated abilities of the weapon.

Epametheus

First Post
Defending mentions "weapon of choice," so he can probably only leech AC off of the dagger that he used in the Spring Attack; in theory, that's also the dagger he'd have to use in any AoOs, since it's his chosen primary weapon for the round.

So if you have two weapons with Defending and you can only attack with one of them, you could only activate Defending on the one that you actually used; since you aren't using the other one, it doesn't do anything for you.

Valdier

Explorer
so no full defense?

So then a person taking a full defense option couldn't use the weapon right? A person taking a partial defense action could though?

So if you are truly interested in only defending yourself, you can't, but if you half ass try to stay alive you can? :)

Remove ads