• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5 room dungeon

Delta

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
well...not a bad idea at all but we have character sheets and paper so we don't have to remember 5-9 things but look at where they are carefully detailed. Which woudl make all of a PC one thing..."look at sheet". We can actually look at thousands of things and find what we are looking for (part of our hunter/gatherer heritage).

here is a page that mentions that sorta- http://www.ddj.com/184412300

Well, frankly I disagree. I've seen many players forget feats, spells, and magic items that are listed directly on their 3E character sheet, especially at higher levels, if they are too numerous. People want to play heads-up and in a roleplaying mode, not continually scanning the paper.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I think the 5 room dungeon is an interesting idea, but if you use it a few times with the same group, you may need to vary it some more, like have a couple of Red Herring encounters. If your players have really come to expect the pattern, place the "Plot Twist" with the Red Herring. This might make them think the red herring was the climax.

I'm a big fan of five room dungeons as a way of approaching adventure design.

I recently looked through a number of the little adventures put out by AEG and Legends and Lairs, and most of them seem to fit quite nicely the five room dungeon model.

JDJblatherings

First Post
Delta said:
Well, frankly I disagree. I've seen many players forget feats, spells, and magic items that are listed directly on their 3E character sheet, especially at higher levels, if they are too numerous. People want to play heads-up and in a roleplaying mode, not continually scanning the paper.

I do think briefer is better but i don't think it's all that hard to know "I got stuff on my sheet, if i don't know the answer off the top of my head i know it's on my sheet"

JDJblatherings said:
I do think briefer is better but i don't think it's all that hard to know "I got stuff on my sheet, if i don't know the answer off the top of my head i know it's on my sheet"
Perhaps it's not difficult, but it sure can be annoying. As you say, briefer is better, in general.

Delta, I like the "5-7 choices" approach you talk about on your blog. Some other cool stuff, there, too; you just need to post more often. :D

RFisher

Explorer
JDJblatherings said:
I pretty much agree, I don't mind my list of collected loot requiring another page.

Oh, right. You got me there. I forgot about that.

I guess we tend to play a lot of games that de-emphasized possessions these days, & I was DM in the most recent D&D campaign.

Philotomy Jurament said:
Delta, [...] you just need to post more often. :D

Seconded.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads