D&D 5E 5e abjurer build. Warlock dip?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I’m torn. I’m currently a rock gnome abjurer, 2nd level, and just hit level 3. PHB core only. Do I take the next two levels as warlock to get shadow armor and armor of A?, or would that delay getting higher level wizard spells too much? I am almost never in melee, so that may impact the affects of the warlock protections. Probably won’t level past 10

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m torn. I’m currently a rock gnome abjurer, 2nd level, and just hit level 3. PHB core only. Do I take the next two levels as warlock to get shadow armor and armor of A?, or would that delay getting higher level wizard spells too much? I am almost never in melee, so that may impact the affects of the warlock protections. Probably won’t level past 10

My opinion is that you want to get level 3 spells asap. So get to at least level 5 wizard. After that there's a lot more flexibility.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@FrogReaver is right on the money about level 5 for 3rd level spells before multiclassing

That said, a warlock dip won't add anything to your casting for higher level slots, so it's really going to slow down everything. Yes, the spell has synergy with your arcane ward, but not enough to derail getting higher level spells.

ccs

41st lv DM
Would taking two lvs of Warlock make sense for your character storywise? Or are you just playing a jumble of stats & powers, with maybe a name filled in on top of the sheet?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Would taking two lvs of Warlock make sense for your character storywise? Or are you just playing a jumble of stats & powers, with maybe a name filled in on top of the sheet?

I’ve never been one to care much about min/maxing. I was just looking for ideas, hence why I posted in this forum. Not sure I appreciate the implication that if there isn’t an in game justification storywise, then I only care about stats but not role playing.

As an aside, yes, there very easily could be an in game reason to warrant a multi class.

ClockworkNinja

Explorer
I recommend staying as a wizard unless you have a strong personal reason for doing otherwise. If you are concerned about defense I suggest taking the "Svirfneblin Magic" feat at level 4, using it to cast nondetection repeatedly between combats to refill your arcane ward.

Remove ads